Old 14 March 2016, 18:23   #1

Town: Liverpool
Length: 4m +
Portmadog

Hi looking to go to portmadog now weather is warming up looking for a launch spot, anybody have any info on a decent place to launch boat
Cheers
Old 14 March 2016, 19:11   #2

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Phewelli ...
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 07:45   #3

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
There is a very good slipway near the yacht club with parking. Tide restrictions to the open sea though unless you get out and pull/push. There is also launching off Black Rock sands beach with no restrictions and plenty of parking.
Old 15 March 2016, 10:10   #4

Cheers will google and have a look
Old 15 March 2016, 14:08   #5

Town: Llanfair pg
Boat name: just about to change
Make: Aircraft
Engine: Outboard
MMSI: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil18 View Post
Hi looking to go to portmadog now weather is warming up looking for a launch spot, anybody have any info on a decent place to launch boat
Cheers
Yep, the slipway is good there but you will only get out to sea about 2 hours either side of low water unless you know the place properly. The sand shifts regularly and the bouyed channel is narrow!
Not a lot better than Port Penrhyn you enquired about
Pwllheli is a lot easier as tony t mentioned
Old 15 March 2016, 14:14   #6

Ok its off to pwllheli
Old 15 March 2016, 15:14   #7

Hang on, most people work on times of high water, does the man therefore mean that you can get out 4 hours each side oh high water??? With a small boat you can always get out even if it means a bit of a paddle and pull or push. There is always water albeit a bit shallow at times
Old 15 March 2016, 18:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
There is always water albeit a bit shallow at times
Unfortunately not!
Most nautical guides will advise 1, 1/2 hours 'either' side of high water to enter or exit Porthmadoc
Most times in a boat drawing about 1 metre 2 hours either side is fine there
The sands shift so often though the bouyed channel is not always the deepest channel!
My latest chart shows a drying height of 3.5 metres just South of the Snowden wharf.
Plus any wind against tide (especially on Springs) the Bar can be rather univiting!
Old 15 March 2016, 20:56   #9

Mr Kawasaki, originally you said that access was good 2 hrs either side of low water and now you are saying that 2 hrs either side of high water is advised, I know which I would do.

The original post came from a member that suggests he has a rib of about 4 mts in length why would he need a metre of water for that?

I said that the water gets shallow and suggested that if you hit the bottom you could always paddle and pull or push. There is always water as the river flows out to sea.

I should know I live at Borth-y-Gest which is a mile up the estuary and from my bedroom window even at low water I can see out to sea up the estuary and see a silver shivering line and I don't think it's sand!!

Finally what has the drying height of Snowden wharf got to do with anything?? if you launch on the council slip there is deep water to at least the bar by Borth-y-Gest even at low water.

My advice Phil18 is to go and have a look at the muddy mess at Port Penrhyn and then the lovely sand at Porthmadog and question Mr Kawasaki and his information!!
Old 15 March 2016, 23:37   #10

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Mr Kawasaki, originally you said that access was good 2 hrs either side of low water and now you are saying that 2 hrs either side of high water is advised, I know which I would do.

The original post came from a member that suggests he has a rib of about 4 mts in length why would he need a metre of water for that?

I said that the water gets shallow and suggested that if you hit the bottom you could always paddle and pull or push. There is always water as the river flows out to sea.

I should know I live at Borth-y-Gest which is a mile up the estuary and from my bedroom window even at low water I can see out to sea up the estuary and see a silver shivering line and I don't think it's sand!!

Finally what has the drying height of Snowden wharf got to do with anything?? if you launch on the council slip there is deep water to at least the bar by Borth-y-Gest even at low water.

My advice Phil18 is to go and have a look at the muddy mess at Port Penrhyn and then the lovely sand at Porthmadog and question Mr Kawasaki and his information!!

I know who I would listen to, and he's not sitting looking out of a window
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 15:14   #11

Quote:
Your right
Old 16 March 2016, 15:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki View Post
Your right
Oops! typo! flippen puters. Yes I did post 2 hours either side of low. Sorry that 'rollocks' I meant either side of high!! Off the ale at the Mo I must get back on it!
Old 16 March 2016, 15:27   #13

Quote:

Yes, you are correct there is a pool by Borth Y Guest where you reside.
What I was trying to point out (a bit pathetically I know) was that there is a sticky up bit that dries out before you get to the deep bit by Borth when leaving the inner harbour.
It's a few years ago now, maybe 4, when I tried to leave the Yacht Club pontoon at 4 hours before high in a 27 ft Mobo, which drew 1 metre. I had to wait until 3 hours before to enable the boat to creep out of the harbour.
Yep, when I got to Borth no problem with depth but I only just got out over towards the fairway boy. What we both can agree on is that the flippen place changes rather regularly