Old 29 November 2009, 17:20   #21

Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbyte View Post
1- Ten minutes to inflate and rig a Zodiac Fastroller.

2- I don't see many Portajokes running the white water rapids of the Colorado!

3- Try sitting six people (or one, for that matter) on the portacoffin's gunnels.

4- Portacarton will plane with a 2 hp....only if someone has removed a 0 sticker from the cowl. I'd expect like for like performance for a given horsepower, except that on an inflatable with 20 horses, I wouldn't be worried about the transom overtaking me.

5- Sounds like Porta-pottie must have quite a few disgruntled, ex SIB owning Porcupines as customers.

;-)
Hi Sharkbyte how is the quest for a big Perch going??
I have 2 of the Portabotes a 8` and a 12` the smaller being used as a tender and the 12 is my fishing boat for the Thames .
All boats are a compromise in some way price/stability/performance/storage/living space/ease of launch etc etc and most important how ell it fits the individual users requirements for the above,Use mine on the Thames and smaller lakes as well as the occasional trip to Poole Harbour and on all of these it has performed well but it isn't and never will be a sea boat or even a big water/lake boat due to very limited free board height and engine size limitations,i have had 18mph one up with gear with a 6hp pushing me on the Thames but again in flat calm conditions so they do have there limitations but it suits me fine for where i use it.
No need to Que for a slipway as you can slide them in just about anywhere and with limited parking on the Thames slipways this is a bonus plus no trailer for the diddy's to have away whilst i am out fishing ,The smaller one started life as a tender for our cruiser but we now have a narrow boat and it lives folded up on the roof as pub transport should we have to moor a long way from the nearest watering hole,have had all sorts of smaller craft Aluminium punts and boats/Dell quay Dory/grp rowing boats double skinned foam filled i have tried most and for my needs the porta bote works best plus the other half isn`t moaning about a boat in the garden/drive on a trailer.
Never really thought about a rib before but will have to reevaluate that now but don`t tell the girlfriend as she will go ape ....
They are fine on this sort of venue

Just my experience mind happy boating Steve.
Old 29 November 2009, 21:39   #22
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV44 View Post
Hi Sharkbyte how is the quest for a big Perch going??
I have 2 of the Portabotes a 8` and a 12` the smaller being used as a tender and the 12 is my fishing boat for the Thames .
All boats are a compromise in some way price/stability/performance/storage/living space/ease of launch etc etc and most important how ell it fits the individual users requirements for the above,Use mine on the Thames and smaller lakes as well as the occasional trip to Poole Harbour and on all of these it has performed well but it isn't and never will be a sea boat or even a big water/lake boat due to very limited free board height and engine size limitations,i have had 18mph one up with gear with a 6hp pushing me on the Thames but again in flat calm conditions so they do have there limitations but it suits me fine for where i use it.
No need to Que for a slipway as you can slide them in just about anywhere and with limited parking on the Thames slipways this is a bonus plus no trailer for the diddy's to have away whilst i am out fishing ,The smaller one started life as a tender for our cruiser but we now have a narrow boat and it lives folded up on the roof as pub transport should we have to moor a long way from the nearest watering hole,have had all sorts of smaller craft Aluminium punts and boats/Dell quay Dory/grp rowing boats double skinned foam filled i have tried most and for my needs the porta bote works best plus the other half isn`t moaning about a boat in the garden/drive on a trailer.
Never really thought about a rib before but will have to reevaluate that now but don`t tell the girlfriend as she will go ape ....
They are fine on this sort of venue

Just my experience mind happy boating Steve.
Welcome to Ribnet

If that's you in the pic I reckon you need your head read getting in that thing without a lifejacket...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2009, 23:10   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Vaguely off topic as usual; there's a guy near me that has the oddest clamshell dingy. It is GRP and folds back along a thwart, forming a smallish capsule. I think there are wheels and a towbar that attach to the hull? The thing takes an outboard, or get this, it has sails, after a fashion. Anyone know anything about the manufacturer. The owner doesn't use it much, looks like a death trap to me
Old 30 November 2009, 07:14   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Welcome to Ribnet

If that's you in the pic I reckon you need your head read getting in that thing without a lifejacket...
Yep fair comment and like most Pike anglers on inland waters its under the seat stupid yep but true sadly ,river was flat calm with no flow and if everyone that didnt wear a jacket on the Thames was stopped tommorow then no one would be on the river fella not quite the same as 4 miles out to sea is it but i take your point smiley face ....
Here is another viewpoint on the boats
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...bote-6317.html

Steve
Old 30 November 2009, 09:30   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Yep fair comment and like most Pike anglers on inland waters its under the seat stupid yep but true sadly ,river was flat calm with no flow and if everyone that didnt wear a jacket on the Thames was stopped tommorow then no one would be on the river fella not quite the same as 4 miles out to sea is it but i take your point smiley face ....
Here is another viewpoint on the boats
Steve
And welcome to Ribnet from me. If you hang around here you'll find that we're a kinda safety conscious lot. Here in Ireland there are a lot of lake boaters and like you they have a fairly relaxed attitude to personal safety ('cos it's just out there a bit, innit?). Every year we lose a few, close to shore and beside whatever boat they had. I've even seen them die in pairs. We're losing shoreanglers at a rate of about five a year.

The lifejacket under your seat is about as likely to save your life as the one under your seat on a transatlantic jet.

Old 30 November 2009, 19:34   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The lifejacket under your seat is about as likely to save your life as the one under your seat on a transatlantic jet.

Um... sorry, but what do you mean by this

In a transatlantic jet the most likely emergencies give you time to prepare and put it on.

In a cabin pressure dump at high altitude in which case there is big bang etc etc but not much else, you put on oxygen masks, and you descend to a lower altitude. On the oxygen you have plenty of time to put your lifejacket on in preparation for the possible (but very unlikely) outcome that you have to ditch.

Another issue is a bird strike... Most transatlantic jets have four engines (A380, 747etc) and even though it is very unlikely mid channel, assuming all four engines are taken out, you will likely have the time to put you LJ on before ditching (remember the guy who ditched in the hudson). If you do not, These large modern jets (not 60s 747s) are designed to floats either infinitely, or at least for a period of minutes during which life rafts can be assembled etc.

The only other potential issue is a mechanical failure which can range from a failed engine to a (like what happened with i think 737s a few years ago) seriously f***** up aileron and rudder hydraulic actuators which began to act inversely in negative climes. In this scenario, unless the plane loses complete control and starts to roll and gets ripped up on impact you will either have time in the air, or on the water.

On the other hand, in a flimsy boat bowling along on the plane, the lifejacket under the seat is going to be of no use at all, the thing is either going to fall apart, of ur gonna flip. Both of these things happen very quickly if not instantaniously, and in this case the LJ is going to prove totally worthless.
Old 30 November 2009, 19:41   #27

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50

Be gentle, he's only 'ickle. In the good name of Ribnet and all that.
Old 30 November 2009, 19:54   #28

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Actually the more I think about this port-a-bote the more I can see it's benefits. It likely is far more economical to depart in this portable sea-coffin than to purchase either a wooden casket/plot package or a cremation plan.
Old 30 November 2009, 20:27   #29
RIBnet Supporter

How sharper than a serpent's tooth is an ungrateful child

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Um... sorry, but what do you mean by this
Let me explain:
Quote:
In a cabin pressure dump at high altitude in which case there is big bang etc etc but not much else, you put on oxygen masks, and you descend to a lower altitude. On the oxygen you have plenty of time to put your lifejacket on in preparation for the possible (but very unlikely) outcome that you have to ditch.
This is what they tell the customers, excellent marketing it would seem
Quote:
(remember the guy who ditched in the hudson
I do, mostly because he was the only one I'd heard of, the Miracle Pilot I think they said?
Quote:
Both of these things happen very quickly if not instantaniously, and in this case the LJ is going to prove totally worthless.
Not necessarily. If we apply the odds of a safe water jet landing to this scenario, we might see the boat flip and the lifejacket box hit the still spinning prop which would disperse the contents in the air, the lifejacket parachuting down onto the upheld arms of the distressed boater, thus proving it a useful strategy.

Old 30 November 2009, 20:34   #30
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post

Be gentle, he's only 'ickle. In the good name of Ribnet and all that.
They all get one free go. Admittedly, there's a certain cruel irony there, dontcha think?
Old 30 November 2009, 21:59   #31

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Good quality pic JV44.

Bad enough you bought one... but two!
Each to their own I suppose. Welcome to Ribnet.
Old 30 November 2009, 22:31   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Not necessarily. If we apply the odds of a safe water jet landing to this scenario, we might see the boat flip and the lifejacket box hit the still spinning prop which would disperse the contents in the air, the lifejacket parachuting down onto the upheld arms of the distressed boater, thus proving it a useful strategy..

I completely agree with you - but there's still something I don't like when the North American internal flight doesn't have them but goes over more water that my Edinburgh to London flight!
Old 01 December 2009, 07:10   #33

Quote:
They all get one free go. Admittedly, there's a certain cruel irony there, dontcha think?
Fair criticism guys should have known better with the lifejackless shot but here is the thing for what i use them for which rib would you recomend then ?? the fishing one needs to be big enough to have 2 anglers and hopefully be pushed along by the 6hp or is this not poss with a rib/Sib[ whats the difference ?] What size engine is needed ?? .
Genuine Question as i need a comparision whole reason for looking on here in the first place ,not really looking for sea use unless that is available without spending shed loads .
Mollers be carefull fella all that popcorn will make you fat Steve.
Old 01 December 2009, 13:20   #34
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Not necessarily. If we apply the odds of a safe water jet landing to this scenario, we might see the boat flip and the lifejacket box hit the still spinning prop which would disperse the contents in the air, the lifejacket parachuting down onto the upheld arms of the distressed boater, thus proving it a useful strategy.
The odds of a safe water jet landing are higher than those of what you propose above. I have done a lot of flying in my (short) life, and although I have never been involved in an accident, I have seen and read about the aftermath of many (MAIB equiv.) and a high percentage of the time the aircraft is ditched safely.

There are also aircraft nowadays which have their own massive parachute which will steady them and slow their descent in an emergency.

Another point is that planes can glide a surprising distance. The aircraft that I most frequently use can travel can glide 2NM / 1000ft potentially significantly more depending on conditions. This means that at 15000ft, the height that we usually are at mid channel, we can safely get to either side if the engine fails. With a jet liner going over the atlantic you could be at 35000ft+, and therefore the chances of reaching Greenland or wherever are not too slim. The boat on the other hand, the engine fails, you're floating around on the currents waiting to be dashed onto the rocks.

In the event that the undercarriage fails, (as happened to me a few weeks ago) there is an emergency gravity-operated override switch meaning that you can always get it down. (There was significant trouble with this system on the A380 on the morning of the planned first test flight.)

the boat on the other hand, I think we can agree is going to fall apart if it hits a little ripple in the water, and you're going in the drink! The lifejacket is not going to do anything sitting on the seat. I've never not worn an LJ on any boat (bar the ferry haha! but ofcourse youve got time if that were to sink!!)
Old 01 December 2009, 13:23   #35
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Fair criticism guys should have known better with the lifejackless shot but here is the thing for what i use them for which rib would you recomend then ?? the fishing one needs to be big enough to have 2 anglers and hopefully be pushed along by the 6hp or is this not poss with a rib/Sib[ whats the difference ?] What size engine is needed ?? .
Genuine Question as i need a comparision whole reason for looking on here in the first place ,not really looking for sea use unless that is available without spending shed loads .
SIBS are Soft Inflatable boats. They have an air or material hull (usually flat or gentle v) and large air sponsons down the sides. I think they go up to about 4.5m maybe more.

RIBS are Rigid Inflatable boats that have usually GRP or Aluminium hull with tubes down the sides. These can vary from about 3m to more that 12!

I would imagine an Avon Typhoon of Commando SIB would be ideal for your larger angling needs.
Old 01 December 2009, 13:28   #36

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:

Yep, getting a bit stuffed now. What have you to say to that lot Willko?
Old 01 December 2009, 13:47   #37
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
What have you to say to that lot Willko?
Quite frankly Roger Roger, I'm going to sit back, relax and let nature take it's cruel course. But I'll wear Kid gloves...
Old 01 December 2009, 17:52   #38
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
The odds of a safe water jet landing are higher than those of what you propose above.
yes I think even Willk knows he was being a little far fetched. However the probability of the l/j under your seat saving your life is as Willk implied in his initial post incredibly small. First everyone knows that air travel is incredibly safe, so the chances of being involved in a mid air drama are very small. We could probably stop there. BUT even if you are involved in an incident - common thinking suggests it is most likely to be in take off or landing (not at 15,000 ft), for the life jacket to save you you'll need to be over water so less likely still, then whatever goes wrong needs to be 'relatively minor' so that you are still alive on reaching sea level (that rules out terrorism), then you need to get your bit right and land it correctly so we're not killed on impact, then I need to get out the aircraft despite the fact that half the people on the plane were talking through the safety announcement, then for the lifejacket to actually save my life I need to survive, not freeze to death or drown because I didn't put it on right/its got no spay hood etc; furthermore to count it as a "save" I need to be far enough from rescue that I wouldn't have survived without the l/jacket. That all combined makes it extreemly unlikely that a life jacket on a plane saves your life.

On the other hand the one on his boat might be of some use if he sinks slowly.

Quote:
Another point is that planes can glide a surprising distance. The aircraft that I most frequently use can travel can glide 2NM / 1000ft potentially significantly more depending on conditions. This means that at 15000ft, the height that we usually are at mid channel, we can safely get to either side if the engine fails. With a jet liner going over the atlantic you could be at 35000ft+, and therefore the chances of reaching Greenland or wherever are not too slim.
please don't draw this to the attention of your managers... ...there is enough "fuel saving measures" already. I can almost imagine the Ryanair surcharge for keeping the engines on for the last 20 miles!
Quote:
The boat on the other hand, the engine fails, you're floating around on the currents waiting to be dashed onto the rocks.
Precisely "waiting" to be dashed - in the sort of place and conditions he appears to be using his boat he has plenty of time following an engine failure to put on a L/Jacket. Of course if he capsizes, collides with something at speed, falls overboard etc then he's stuffed. Actually if you fall overboard whilst fishing from one of those - you might still get your lifejacket if its autoinflate - as its probably impossible to climb back into from the water with our capsizing and emptying the locker contents everywhere....
Quote:
I've never not worn an LJ on any boat (bar the ferry haha! but ofcourse youve got time if that were to sink!!)
some people might call you paranoid... your probably more likely to die on your way to / from a fishing trip in the car. I'm not condoning not wearing life jackets but lets keep some perspective.
Old 01 December 2009, 18:23   #39

Town: Ireland
Very defensive.. Do you get the feeling that gotchiguy knows a thing or two about planes?
Perhaps he is Michael O Leary incognito?
Old 01 December 2009, 18:31   #40
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Polwart, ever the voice of reason! The only point I was trying to make is that there is a higher chance of the L/J in the plane saving your life when its stored under your seat than the L/J on the boat when stored under the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
Very defensive.. Do you get the feeling that gotchiguy knows a thing or two about planes?
Perhaps he is Michael O Leary incognito?
Mmmm... I flew before I was born!!!

I think that I've probably done ~ 1500hrs flying so I do on average 100hrs per year!!