Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Good quality pic JV44.

Bad enough you bought one... but two!
Each to their own I suppose. Welcome to Ribnet.

Old 30 November 2009, 18:31   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Not necessarily. If we apply the odds of a safe water jet landing to this scenario, we might see the boat flip and the lifejacket box hit the still spinning prop which would disperse the contents in the air, the lifejacket parachuting down onto the upheld arms of the distressed boater, thus proving it a useful strategy..

I completely agree with you - but there's still something I don't like when the North American internal flight doesn't have them but goes over more water that my Edinburgh to London flight!
Old 01 December 2009, 03:10   #33

Length: 10m +
Quote:
They all get one free go. Admittedly, there's a certain cruel irony there, dontcha think?
Fair criticism guys should have known better with the lifejackless shot but here is the thing for what i use them for which rib would you recomend then ?? the fishing one needs to be big enough to have 2 anglers and hopefully be pushed along by the 6hp or is this not poss with a rib/Sib[ whats the difference ?] What size engine is needed ?? .
Genuine Question as i need a comparision whole reason for looking on here in the first place ,not really looking for sea use unless that is available without spending shed loads .
Mollers be carefull fella all that popcorn will make you fat Steve.
Old 01 December 2009, 09:20   #34
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Not necessarily. If we apply the odds of a safe water jet landing to this scenario, we might see the boat flip and the lifejacket box hit the still spinning prop which would disperse the contents in the air, the lifejacket parachuting down onto the upheld arms of the distressed boater, thus proving it a useful strategy.
The odds of a safe water jet landing are higher than those of what you propose above. I have done a lot of flying in my (short) life, and although I have never been involved in an accident, I have seen and read about the aftermath of many (MAIB equiv.) and a high percentage of the time the aircraft is ditched safely.

There are also aircraft nowadays which have their own massive parachute which will steady them and slow their descent in an emergency.

Another point is that planes can glide a surprising distance. The aircraft that I most frequently use can travel can glide 2NM / 1000ft potentially significantly more depending on conditions. This means that at 15000ft, the height that we usually are at mid channel, we can safely get to either side if the engine fails. With a jet liner going over the atlantic you could be at 35000ft+, and therefore the chances of reaching Greenland or wherever are not too slim. The boat on the other hand, the engine fails, you're floating around on the currents waiting to be dashed onto the rocks.

In the event that the undercarriage fails, (as happened to me a few weeks ago) there is an emergency gravity-operated override switch meaning that you can always get it down. (There was significant trouble with this system on the A380 on the morning of the planned first test flight.)

the boat on the other hand, I think we can agree is going to fall apart if it hits a little ripple in the water, and you're going in the drink! The lifejacket is not going to do anything sitting on the seat. I've never not worn an LJ on any boat (bar the ferry haha! but ofcourse youve got time if that were to sink!!)
Old 01 December 2009, 09:23   #35
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV44 View Post
Fair criticism guys should have known better with the lifejackless shot but here is the thing for what i use them for which rib would you recomend then ?? the fishing one needs to be big enough to have 2 anglers and hopefully be pushed along by the 6hp or is this not poss with a rib/Sib[ whats the difference ?] What size engine is needed ?? .
Genuine Question as i need a comparision whole reason for looking on here in the first place ,not really looking for sea use unless that is available without spending shed loads .
SIBS are Soft Inflatable boats. They have an air or material hull (usually flat or gentle v) and large air sponsons down the sides. I think they go up to about 4.5m maybe more.

RIBS are Rigid Inflatable boats that have usually GRP or Aluminium hull with tubes down the sides. These can vary from about 3m to more that 12!

I would imagine an Avon Typhoon of Commando SIB would be ideal for your larger angling needs.
Old 01 December 2009, 09:28   #36

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV44 View Post

Yep, getting a bit stuffed now. What have you to say to that lot Willko?
Old 01 December 2009, 09:47   #37
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
What have you to say to that lot Willko?
Quite frankly Roger Roger, I'm going to sit back, relax and let nature take it's cruel course. But I'll wear Kid gloves...
Old 01 December 2009, 13:52   #38
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
The odds of a safe water jet landing are higher than those of what you propose above.
yes I think even Willk knows he was being a little far fetched. However the probability of the l/j under your seat saving your life is as Willk implied in his initial post incredibly small. First everyone knows that air travel is incredibly safe, so the chances of being involved in a mid air drama are very small. We could probably stop there. BUT even if you are involved in an incident - common thinking suggests it is most likely to be in take off or landing (not at 15,000 ft), for the life jacket to save you you'll need to be over water so less likely still, then whatever goes wrong needs to be 'relatively minor' so that you are still alive on reaching sea level (that rules out terrorism), then you need to get your bit right and land it correctly so we're not killed on impact, then I need to get out the aircraft despite the fact that half the people on the plane were talking through the safety announcement, then for the lifejacket to actually save my life I need to survive, not freeze to death or drown because I didn't put it on right/its got no spay hood etc; furthermore to count it as a "save" I need to be far enough from rescue that I wouldn't have survived without the l/jacket. That all combined makes it extreemly unlikely that a life jacket on a plane saves your life.

On the other hand the one on his boat might be of some use if he sinks slowly.

Quote:
Another point is that planes can glide a surprising distance. The aircraft that I most frequently use can travel can glide 2NM / 1000ft potentially significantly more depending on conditions. This means that at 15000ft, the height that we usually are at mid channel, we can safely get to either side if the engine fails. With a jet liner going over the atlantic you could be at 35000ft+, and therefore the chances of reaching Greenland or wherever are not too slim.
please don't draw this to the attention of your managers... ...there is enough "fuel saving measures" already. I can almost imagine the Ryanair surcharge for keeping the engines on for the last 20 miles!
Quote:
The boat on the other hand, the engine fails, you're floating around on the currents waiting to be dashed onto the rocks.
Precisely "waiting" to be dashed - in the sort of place and conditions he appears to be using his boat he has plenty of time following an engine failure to put on a L/Jacket. Of course if he capsizes, collides with something at speed, falls overboard etc then he's stuffed. Actually if you fall overboard whilst fishing from one of those - you might still get your lifejacket if its autoinflate - as its probably impossible to climb back into from the water with our capsizing and emptying the locker contents everywhere....
Quote:
I've never not worn an LJ on any boat (bar the ferry haha! but ofcourse youve got time if that were to sink!!)
some people might call you paranoid... your probably more likely to die on your way to / from a fishing trip in the car. I'm not condoning not wearing life jackets but lets keep some perspective.
Old 01 December 2009, 14:23   #39

Town: Ireland
Make: Lodestar 3.4
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Very defensive.. Do you get the feeling that gotchiguy knows a thing or two about planes?
Perhaps he is Michael O Leary incognito?
Old 01 December 2009, 14:31   #40
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Polwart, ever the voice of reason! The only point I was trying to make is that there is a higher chance of the L/J in the plane saving your life when its stored under your seat than the L/J on the boat when stored under the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
Very defensive.. Do you get the feeling that gotchiguy knows a thing or two about planes?
Perhaps he is Michael O Leary incognito?
Mmmm... I flew before I was born!!!

I think that I've probably done ~ 1500hrs flying so I do on average 100hrs per year!!