RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
The only point I was trying to make is that there is a higher chance of the L/J in the plane saving your life when its stored under your seat than the L/J on the boat when stored under the seat.
well you're failing to make your point - because whilst stored under your seat the probability of either saving your life is non existent... and what you have succeeded in doing is distracting from the very reasonable and valid point that willk was making - it would be better to put it on than have it under the seat. You may of course be confusing the probability of the life jacket saving your life and the risk of dieing as a result of not having a L/J on - the two are quite different.
Old 02 December 2009, 01:12   #42

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
SIBS are Soft Inflatable boats. They have an air or material hull (usually flat or gentle v) and large air sponsons down the sides. I think they go up to about 4.5m maybe more.

RIBS are Rigid Inflatable boats that have usually GRP or Aluminium hull with tubes down the sides. These can vary from about 3m to more that 12!

I would imagine an Avon Typhoon of Commando SIB would be ideal for your larger angling needs.
SIBs can go 7m or more (eg. Zodiac Mark VI)
Old 02 December 2009, 13:26   #43
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
SIBs can go 7m or more (eg. Zodiac Mark VI)

Ok, I stand corrected!! I don't know if they're imported (or were imported) here, so I've certainly never seen one. What sort of power would a sib that size take, and what benefit does it have over a rib or normal hardboat of the same size? Surely It has a fixed console + stuff?
Old 02 December 2009, 14:23   #44

They are big heavy beasts, typically used for industrial applications such as transferring oil drums and the like, and in some military applications. A couple of benefits of a SIB like this over a RIB of similar length is that it can be folded for air transport & parachute dropped in remote areas. Also, the deck provides a very wide flat platform for carrying cargo, and it has a much greater payload capacity (9040 lbs) which is about double that of most RIBs of similar length. Max recommended horsepower for these is 175 hp which can be tillered or console steered.

In either the late '70s or early '80s, the previous Zodiac dealer in this area made a video demonstrating the capability of a Zodiac Mark VI* SIB. In the video, he drove his Chevy Suburban** (~ +6000 lbs) to a nearby river bank, then (he and several others) proceeded to unload this SIB & a 200 hp tillered outboard from the back of the truck. The SIB was assembled & inflated with an air compressor, the outboard was mounted and the boat was but in the water. Trailer loading ramps that were in the suburban were placed on the side of the SIB and the suburban was driven onto the SIB (crossways) and it got strapped down. The owner then proceeded to boat several miles down the river & back with the suburban strapped on top. A couple of other inflatable boats accompanied it in order to videotape it all.

* Zodiac Mark VI (although not the video I was referring to):

[YOUTUBE]y0opXamo2zk[/YOUTUBE]

** Chevy Suburban:

[YOUTUBE]4NMPTbRa2RY[/YOUTUBE]
Old 07 December 2009, 22:10   #45

Town: mexico
Make: avon
Engine: 15 hp mariner 2 s
there is nothing to compare betwen a porta bote and a sib, may be some times has taken and hour to complete the assambly of my avon s400 (If i do it whitout any help and a few beers) and yes i've spend many hours to find and patch a puncture, sure i would like more space into my sib but i'm not crazy, i'll never change my old avon to buy a porta carton, i know many lazy sibers thinks portabote could be a great solution let me tell'em they are absolutely wrong they will lost much more than what they'll win.
Old 01 June 2015, 00:35   #46

Town: san antonio
Boat name: no name
Make: lund
Length: 5m +
Engine: 15hp outboard
Just have to say I have actually owned both Porta-bote (12 and 14') and inflatables (Avon and Achilles), among other boats. Both have advantages. OP's experience (especially for a boat importer) is a little sketchy.

1. Yes they do plane easily with a 3.5, a 5hp should not be an issue unless you do not know how to trim an outboard. I have done it easily and there are countless youtube videos of it.

2. Stability... it's a modified v hull, they rock a little at rest they are designed that way. Secondary stability though is exquisite, and that's what keeps you from rocking too far, not initial stability like OP thinks. The trade off is on plane they blow an inflatable away in terms of comfort and stability. (Once again a boat importer should know this).

3. Inflatables do puncture, and not just newbies puncture them. I don't know of anyone who actually uses an inflatable that doesn't take a patch kit just in case. Most I have seen have a few patches here and there if they are used frequently. Mine are hypalon and have several, some from very minor things.

As for false propaganda... thats your opinion. 1/2 hour sounds about right with floorboards, like a lot of them including mine have.

I actually own a porta bote, it works amazingly well. Almost every owner will tell you the same thing. Sorry but opinions from people who don't own one are worthless. I love my inflatable boats as well, but the porta bote bashing from people who probably have never even seen one is beyond stupid.
Old 01 June 2015, 01:08   #47
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1414 View Post
beyond stupid.
Welcome to Ribnet.

Appearing 6 years after a thread was last posted in and ranting as your 1st post isn't too intelligent either

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2015, 09:01   #48

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
Hi all, interesting thread!
I own a Honwave 380ie and love it, I also own a Smartwave 4800cc + 60 hp Mariner Efi each has it's uses. I used to own (and love) a 14ft Portabote with a 9.8 on the tail. This gave me lots of fun both on Loch Lomond and the North Sea up to 2 miles out in good conditions fishing. They are far more stable than you may think. Mine planed easily with 2 + tackle fuel, food etc. I have a Bravo pump for the Honwave and the Portabote was just as quick to assemble after some practice.
I will try and load a vid of us 3 up at sea in another post as this was started as a quick reply.
Old 02 June 2015, 14:06   #49

RIBase
3 up in a Portabote

OK, trying again last session timed out while making coffee and would not let me complete the posting!
Dropbox links as upload failed again!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0wojzqpol...Danny.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7voqoyp7p...84%29.MOV?dl=0
Old 03 June 2015, 16:23   #50

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
I must admit that they look a little strange and have never fancied one BUT there are quite a few anglers use them on fresh water so normally smaller engines and electric motors. It is rare to see them being knocked on the fishing forums where most of the users are to be found and the only 3 people who have or had them that I know of, all really liked them for fishing.

Phil
Old 03 June 2015, 17:51   #51

RIBase
Yes I really enjoyed my 14 ft exxtreme. 9.8 Parsun on the back (now used on the Honwave) in decent conditions - up to 4 ft swell, got out to our favourite marks off Arbroath. In calm weather up to around 3 miles out. Never felt indanger,allsafety gearonboardofcourse.
Took a while to get used to the flex in the bottom and the way it seemed to "grip" the side of a wave - just hold your heading and she would stay on course.
Only sold it as I had already bought a bigger boat AND the Honwave, wife said one had to go!
Old 19 June 2015, 18:34   #52

Town: san antonio
Boat name: no name
Make: lund
Engine: 15hp outboard
re: Nos4r2

"Appearing 6 years after a thread was last posted in and ranting as your 1st post isn't too intelligent either"

A point of view from people who actually... you know...own the product you are bashing is not ranting. Ranting is putting down a product you never even tried, based on no facts at all. And you're an admin? You do realize what a message board is for right? People do google things like "porta bote vs inflatable" and results like this pull up regardless of time posted. But thank you for being professional and courteous to new members.
Old 19 June 2015, 19:12   #53
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
A point of view from people who actually... you know...own the product you are bashing is not ranting. Ranting is putting down a product you never even tried, based on no facts at all.
the dictionary appears to disagree...

speak or shout at length in an angry, impassioned way.

Quote:
And you're an admin? You do realize what a message board is for right? People do google things like "porta bote vs inflatable" and results like this pull up regardless of time posted.
I'm sure he does. This is a discussion forum not a message board - you are not required to agree. If you want to have a constructive discussion you might need to participate more frequently though.
Quote:
But thank you for being professional and courteous to new members.
If you are planning to hang around Id get over the belief that because you are new you get some sort of special treatment here. We try to be equally rude to everyone ;-)
Old 20 June 2015, 17:10   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
We try to be equally rude to everyone ;-)
That is true! This admin team eats its own. I seen it with my own eyes.
Old 20 June 2015, 18:04   #55

Town: Oop North
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
That is true! This admin team eats its own. I seen it with my own eyes.
I thought the first phase of Gurnards fiendishly clever plan, to rid the forums of Admin, was to lure them unsuspecting to deserted Scottish islands and maroon them, had began last weekend.
Something must have gone wrong.
Old 20 June 2015, 19:41   #56

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
A point of view from people who actually... you know...own the product you are bashing is not ranting. People do google things like "porta bote vs inflatable" and results like this pull up regardless of time posted.
Hi mark1414 if you read this thread from the start ..it is was Porta-boats point of view that started the rant.. IMO their website advertising absolute rubbish.

“The best use of an inflatable boat….Tow it with your Porta-Bote!®”

“Avoid flimsy inflatable boats! Try Porta Bote! The Worlds Largest Selling “
Portable Boat. Over 100,000 being used around the world!

“ Punctures easily if you hit a sharp rock or stump”

The website that this nonsense is coming from

Porta Bote | Porta Bote | Porta-Bote vs Inflatables

As this forum is for RIBS and SIBS (inflatable boats)..I can understand why people here are not happy with Porta boats comments..even if you cant understand why ?

It sounds to me that Porta Boat are the ones with the very narrow point of view .. and have not assessed Inflatable boats properly.

So at least now..if folks google Porta-boat vs Inflatable ..they will hopefully find this forum and get a fair appraisal of both types of boats

So perhaps Mark 1414..you are best just letting this thread sink for another 6 years ..so it only leaves the porta boat website at the top of the google list ?

Stray.. that was my plan.. but to be honest..once I met the Mods.. I discovered they are just normal folks like you and I.. so I let them off the island again
Old 20 June 2015, 22:57   #57

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
..once I met the Mods.. I discovered they are just normal folks like you and I..
Hold on a minute, I thought you said Poly & willk were there or have you been on the "gravy" again?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote