Old 19 January 2015, 01:15   #1

Town: Chicago
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Portable 2-3 Person Boat

I've been browsing around the Internet over the past couple weeks looking at relatively inexpensive inflatable boats. So far I haven't really found anything that truly makes me go "I want to spend $1k to $2k on that". I've seen the Saturns, but I am convinced there have to be better built boats out there, and I need help finding them.

I have no idea if the wish list I have for a boat is feasible or not, but I want a boat that: comfortably seats 2-3 adults for a few hours to just tool around (no serious diving or anything that'd require a lot of gear to be aboard), have a relatively wide beam of at least 3' (I'd like a spacious interior), be portable and easy to assemble then disassemble to pack away each time it's used, and can get up on plane to a pretty decent top speed with a 20HP engine.

I also should mention I'd need a good availability of service and parts for the U.S. market since my place of residence is well within the borders of the USA
Old 19 January 2015, 02:33   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I would try to get a ride on one of these. They look cool.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/folding...one-65691.html
Old 19 January 2015, 04:50   #3

The F-ribs are neat but the companies selling them don't seem to have much in the way of a support structure in the US.

Right now I'm sort of looking at the Zodiac Fastroller 360 and Azzurro Mare AM365. The AM365 is Saturn's line that's supposedly more ruggedly built, but I haven't heard much about them except what's on Boatstogo's website. The FR360 is basically the same boat as the Azzurro, except is only rated for a 15HP engine and the threads about it on here are less than stellar. Saturn used to make a larger 14.5' Azzurro Mare that was also a bit wider and still had an air deck, sadly they stopped making it, though probably they did so because I've heard air floors quit being rigid enough at that size.

I can't see having 4 adults on either the AM or Zodiac being comfy, which would be nice to accommodate.
Old 19 January 2015, 08:35   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
bombard/zodiac typhoon 4.2 ali large tubes 25 hp max engine selling over here in the uk at £1700 GBP

regards jeff
Old 19 January 2015, 12:08   #5

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
I would probably recommend a Zodiac Futura MK2C FR (Fastroller). They have a high pressure air floor and are quite portable. They're kinda on the top end of your pricing though. It's tough to find a boat that can support a 20hp. Most cap at 15 or 10.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 16:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
I would probably recommend a Zodiac Futura MK2C FR (Fastroller). They have a high pressure air floor and are quite portable. They're kinda on the top end of your pricing though. It's tough to find a boat that can support a 20hp. Most cap at 15 or 10.
It seems the Futuras represent what is the most you can ever get out of an air deck floor, but darn expensive at $4-5k. Why do you recommend the MK2C over the slightly larger MK2?
Old 19 January 2015, 17:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
It seems the Futuras represent what is the most you can ever get out of an air deck floor, but darn expensive at $4-5k. Why do you recommend the MK2C over the slightly larger MK2?
I'm pretty used to dealing with customers who have size restrictions, so it was the closest one to your 2-3 person requirement!

If you've got the space, go for it. Hearing "I wish I had a smaller boat" is rare.

However, pay attention the weight. I chose the Futura MK2C FR to keep the weight low enough for 2 people. The bigger the boat is, the harder it will be to perform a beach launch without wheels.

The Bombard C3 or 360S would also be okay choices.

I do like the Futura hull boats though. They're a lot of fun.
Old 19 January 2015, 17:59   #8

Quote:
I'm pretty used to dealing with customers who have size restrictions, so it was the closest one to your 2-3 person requirement!

If you've got the space, go for it. Hearing "I wish I had a smaller boat" is rare.

However, pay attention the weight. I chose the Futura MK2C FR to keep the weight low enough for 2 people. The bigger the boat is, the harder it will be to perform a beach launch without wheels.

The Bombard C3 or 360S would also be okay choices.

I do like the Futura hull boats though. They're a lot of fun.

I'm really liking the Futura MK2. I certainly would install launch wheels, I just want to be sure that a boat I'm spending $4.5k on will last me a good long time. I think the non compact version would be the way to go, it's not much heavier and can probably fit 4 adults a bit better. The only aspect of weight I'm concerned with is being able to lift it into and out of my car trunk alone, since my girlfriend probably won't be able to help me do it :-)
Old 19 January 2015, 19:18   #9

Quote:
The only aspect of weight I'm concerned with is being able to lift it into and out of my car trunk alone, since my girlfriend probably won't be able to help me do it :-)
Get the lighter boat then. I have the larger 4.2m MK2HD aluminum floored boat. With the floor boards out it is the same Futura model as the air floor. I can barely move it, but will admit I have never tried folding it. There is no way I would own a 4.2m boat if I had to put it in my trunk, but mine lives on a trailer. Even a 20hp is heavy, as they are awkward. I would recommend going and physically picking a motor up and a folded boat, before making any decisions. FWIW I don't mind hard work and bucked a 200 year old oak tree yesterday. Point being you better be really strong to routinely hand launch a boat that big, or you won't use it.

The 4.2m version with an outboard is either past or at the weight limit of most launching wheel setups. I couldn't find any to handle my boats weight, but I have an aluminum floor and a 40hp, and am pushing 500lbs when going into the water.

Read this, as there is a lot of good information.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/which-s...sib-62208.html
Old 19 January 2015, 20:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Get the lighter boat then. I have the larger 4.2m MK2HD aluminum floored boat. With the floor boards out it is the same Futura model as the air floor. I can barely move it, but will admit I have never tried folding it. There is no way I would own a 4.2m boat if I had to put it in my trunk, but mine lives on a trailer. Even a 20hp is heavy, as they are awkward. I would recommend going and physically picking a motor up and a folded boat, before making any decisions. FWIW I don't mind hard work and bucked a 200 year old oak tree yesterday. Point being you better be really strong to routinely hand launch a boat that big, or you won't use it.

The 4.2m version with an outboard is either past or at the weight limit of most launching wheel setups. I couldn't find any to handle my boats weight, but I have an aluminum floor and a 40hp, and am pushing 500lbs when going into the water.

Read this, as there is a lot of good information.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/which-s...sib-62208.html
How durable are these Futuras? How many years of use can I expect to get out of it? It would just be casual use a few times per month up north in the Great Lakes. I just want to make sure that a boat I spend $5k on will last.
Old 19 January 2015, 22:12   #11

The glue for the floor and other accessories will often fail in 10 years on Zodiacs PVC boats. The tubes are thermo-bonded and do not fail very often. Unfortunately it is a lot of work to re-glue the floor and the transom, so the boat repair becomes cost prohibitive to repair by a pro. DIY is just a lot of time, and a few materials. My Zodiac is 23 years old and still has a few years left in it.
Old 20 January 2015, 00:09   #12

Quote:
The glue for the floor and other accessories will often fail in 10 years on Zodiacs PVC boats. The tubes are thermo-bonded and do not fail very often. Unfortunately it is a lot of work to re-glue the floor and the transom, so the boat repair becomes cost prohibitive to repair by a pro. DIY is just a lot of time, and a few materials. My Zodiac is 23 years old and still has a few years left in it.
Every Futura i gave estimates to fix blew out because of under-inflation and/or a bad trailer setup. I've seen my share of old adhesive, but these were all solid bonds... When you see ply delamination, it's not the adhesive.
Old 20 January 2015, 06:46   #13

Quote:
Every Futura i gave estimates to fix blew out because of under-inflation and/or a bad trailer setup. I've seen my share of old adhesive, but these were all solid bonds... When you see ply delamination, it's not the adhesive.
No doubt a lot of the issues are directly related to the instances you described. Myself and many others on this board have had to repair the glue on our boats for failure due to one reason or another. So far with my own boat every part that was glued has failed. The handles falling off was the last instance. Definitely a glue failure, and it is well documented. How they are stored is probably 90% of it.
Old 20 January 2015, 13:11   #14

Quote:
No doubt a lot of the issues are directly related to the instances you described. Myself and many others on this board have had to repair the glue on our boats for failure due to one reason or another. So far with my own boat every part that was glued has failed. The handles falling off was the last instance. Definitely a glue failure, and it is well documented. How they are stored is probably 90% of it.
Your boat is also 230% of what the industry considers to be a serviceable lifespan. It goes to show though, gluing isn't hard...just tedious! If you're willing to do the upkeep, PVC will last.
Old 20 January 2015, 14:49   #15

Town: New York
Boat name: SS.Pool.Toy
Make: Zoom By Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2006 mercury 15hp
MMSI: n/a
I have a chrap chinese version the zoom 350s and 1.5 years in ( last year around july) i had to reglue one side of th transom the the tubes. Second side is beggining to fail also, will reglue around april before boating season starts. To the op: i am one of those that fold up aftet every use. I have a 350 with wood floor. Spent 1k on the boat. Setup is fun because you are excited to get on the water. Break down is the problem. After a day of captain, boy i am tired and you will be too. A lot also depends on where your using it (salt water or fresh). Salt water will eat the glue super fast. i can comfortably fit 1 more person and alot of gear or 2 more people with minimul fishing gear and still be faily confortable but thats it. If you just want to cruise around, tan, snorkle or goof around even a 365 will do you justice. When inflating i do not use a gauge, i use rule of thumb (the harder the better, same rules as in the bedroom) (this measurement is a curtesy of alfamle aka Al) i will repeat one more time. Worry about break down and cleaning it instead of size of the boat. Also buy an electric pump with your launch wheels. Azzuro mare is a good boat. My friend owns one. My best recommendation is( do not buy a long term boat if you will deflate after every use) inflating and deflating puts a lot of pressure on the glue. Buy a cheap 1k boat thats at least 1100 denier use it for 3 years then on to the next one.
Old 20 January 2015, 16:49   #16

So you don't think I should buy the Futura if I intend to deflate it every time? Realistically, the boat will get used a max 4 times per month. And when it isn't summer, the garage is heated so it'd always be stored warm.

I will say though, I am skeptical as to what exactly I'm getting in exchange for $3,500 more with the Futura besides an extra couple feet in length, compared to the Azzurro Mare. If the Futura would indeed last me more than twice as long as the AM, then really it doesn't need much explaining and I'd theoretically be getting more boat for my money with the Futura. But they both have a 5-year warranty...

12' AM365 Azzurro Mare Inflatable Motor Boats. Italian Style Inflatable Boats.

Zodiac Nautic - Boats - Futura Mark II FR
Old 20 January 2015, 16:59   #17

The Zodiac is thermowelded which is super strong compared to the glued saturn aka azzuro. Hands down you get a better quality boat in the zodiac. But for 3k you can get the f-rib which if it is really nice. If its really as good ad they claim then that would be a better purchase for you at near same price. I don't care what anyone says, air floor is not as reliable as hard floor. I personally use my boat for fishing about 3-4 times a month from april/may - November. Once again i say thermwelded zodiac is hard to match. No boat shop will touch your boat if its glued. So thermoweld is the way to go. I believe F-Rib is thermowelded
Old 20 January 2015, 18:08   #18

Good to know about the Zodiac. I had a dealer tell me that the Saturn boats were just as good if not better quality than the Zodiacs he used to own/sell, which I was skeptical from the start about. I think what I'll do to make sure the air floor stays hole-free and clean is to cut a piece of marine grade carpet to go over, with some underhanging flaps that fit snugly around the edges and under the floor it to keep the carpet in place.

What I didn't notice at first is that the Futura actually takes 20" shaft motors, I've been seeing a lot more long shaft 20HP 2-strokes lying around on the internet than short shaft ones. I think 20HP is the upper limit of what someone can mount onto a transom by hand, Mercury Marine told me the same thing when I called to ask about that.

What would be a ballpark estimate of how much it'd cost to have a Futura re-glued by a pro after it starts pulling apart in 10 years?
Old 20 January 2015, 20:41   #19

Probably half the price of the boat. But i am no pro and know very little about marine labor per hour charges or how ever they decide to rip you off. Repair shop is there to make money. Try your best to never end up there.
Old 21 January 2015, 04:13   #20

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
I had a dealer tell me that the Saturn boats were just as good if not better quality than the Zodiacs he used to own/sell, which I was skeptical from the start about.
Ask him specifically what he means by "quality". Fit and finish doesn't mean much if it lasts 3 years vs 12 (or insert your own numbers.)

I don't think the Chinese rebadges really have the time in service to be ab;e to compare to the "classic" brands.

jky