Old 13 May 2014, 23:26   #11
RIK

Town: Hertfordshire
Boat name: Five-o
Make: Tornado 645
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury Optimax 150
How big is your sib? Is it to big to strap to the top of your van. There is a fee slipway in Swanage,recommend get there early and check tides.when I had my sib zodiac 3.1 10hp I would launch from south beach and middle beach , I used a fishing trolley to take boat down to beach, get wife and kids to start blowing boat up go back and get engine and fuel tank, hopefully when you get back boat is nearly blown up

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net

Old 14 May 2014, 02:25   #12

Length: 7m +
From Wareham its a really nice slow run down the river which wanders about and then into the harbour itself. A good map of the harbour would be an investment, a proper marine map so you can see detail etc.

If the girls you with get fed up after the long run down to the harbour you could always drop em off at Poole Town Quay so they can go shopping and pick them em later after exploring the rest of the harbour. There is a place on the quay for visitors to tie up but they may have to scale a small ladder. Alternatively you coudl try dropping em off at Poole Town Quay Marina, might be a charge im not sure.

What might help us all give you advice is to put up a pic of your SIB.

Old 14 May 2014, 03:07   #13

Town: Poole
Boat name: Superfly
Make: Shearwater 860
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado
Poole Town Marina - I'm not sure they'd charge you for the odd drop off. For up to 4 hours berthing on a pontoon its 6.50 under 10m.

As a Poole resident I wouldn't let the two a day tide worry you whatsoever. You have a nice small boat and there is heaps of exploring to do with a boat like that in Poole Harbour outside of the main channels. Poole Quay/Town gives you shopping options. Wareham is a good place to stay although its a bit of a long run to the actual harbour its probably much better than Swanage as if the weather is poor you have little option but to stay ashore. We have a waterski/sports area at Arne which is on the way from Wareham to Poole and the beaches are nice and sandy everywhere. Waterside eating at Lake Yard Marina, Salterns, the new Sandbanks Yacht Company and Shell Bay plus a run ashore at the Bankes Arms in Studland bay is a must. We often take a small disposable BBQ and hit a quiet beach for the afternoon too after a visit at Tescos on Poole Quay
Old 14 May 2014, 05:56   #14

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
If you've paid your harbour dues, then you can have 20 mins alongside for free in Dolphin Haven (Poole Quay Boat Haven now if you've upgraded your almanac...). They've certainly never had any issues just with pick up/drop off - I've done it many times.
Old 14 May 2014, 06:05   #15

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Cgf10 is right. The 2nd tide is nothing to worry about, as there is only a small change in height. It is worth knowing about though, because the changing direction in tidal flow is a bit odd if you are not expecting it, and it can affect sea state at the entrance.

My personal opinion is to stick to marked channels for your first outing, especially in Wareham Creek and towards the river, where there is some risk if running aground outsife of the dredged channel.
Old 14 May 2014, 14:46   #16

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Stick to the channels its deceptive

Old 05 June 2014, 10:58   #17
CJS

Town: Warsash
Make: Honwave T 3.8 ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20 HP
On a good day a few years back I launched my Honwave 3.8 + 20HP from Baiter Car Park and took mine around to Kimmeridge Bay, back to Bournemouth Pier and then around Brownsea Island in a day.....with a stop off at Swanage, Old harry and Studland.
Old 05 June 2014, 13:34   #18

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda BF90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS View Post
On a good day a few years back I launched my Honwave 3.8 + 20HP from Baiter Car Park and took mine around to Kimmeridge Bay, back to Bournemouth Pier and then around Brownsea Island in a day.....with a stop off at Swanage, Old harry and Studland.
Now THAT is a good day's Sibing!
Old 06 June 2014, 16:07   #19

Town: Wrexham
Length: 3m +
Please stick to the channels! I spent 2 hours in mud last year waiting for the tide to lift me out.

Don't let that put you off though. Great place for SIBing!