Old 22 July 2018, 13:37   #1

Town: Puerto Vallarta
Length: under 3m
Please recommend a highly portable inflatable boat

Hello guys, I'm new here. Here's the situation: I live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Beautiful place but corrupt as Mexico is they are trying to close down the beaches to the public. The only access soon will be through boats.

I'm a surfer and my idea was to launch the boat at a ramp or through a beach, reach the surf point, throw the anchor and start surfing.

I was thinking about buying an used Dinghy but a friend of mine who had one completely discouraged me saying that they can get quite complicated in terms of maintenance, launching, etc. He said he always needed somebody to be able to do the whole launching procedure, etc. He said a Jet Ski was a much better because it was just easy to launch and hassle free.

The big problem is that my condo does not allow to keep boats, jet-skis, or trailers.

I have a warehouse though which is 7 feet L x 6 feet wide and 14 feet tall.

So I saw a video about this Dinghy:

it seems super portable, the website says you can even transport it on the car's roof racks.

So I need either a boat I can easily inflate and deflate anywhere, or that I can carry on the car's roof. Or something so small that will fit inside my warehouse but I need it to fit 2 people and surf boards.

So I'm liking this Takacat a lot but they are from NZ, I'm in Mexico and would like to know closer and perhaps cheaper options, maybe something I can buy in the USA and get shipped to Mexico.

What do you recommend?
Old 22 July 2018, 14:03   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I think, excluding your storage issues, a jetski does make some sense. They are far more tolerant of being upside down than an outboard so potentially more suitable for use near surf; although I’d think it would be easy to do some harm to yourself or your wallet if you don’t use it right so get some training. I’m not convinced they cost less to maintain that a SIB+outboard.

Takacat are relatively rarely mentioned on here, but usually positively when they are. If you need to deflate to transport or store it will affect your usage. So much so I’d pick the boat that will be quickest and easiest to get from storage to being afloat.
Or can you do something clever where the smallest jetski you can find fits at an angle?
Old 22 July 2018, 14:08   #3

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
A 3.1 metre inflatable will carry 2 adults and safety equipment and anchor easily. It will go at a reasonable speed with a 6 hp engine and will plane with 2 people and a 9.9 hp engine.

I can fit mine, folded, in the back of a small car with the engine and all equipment.

A 2.7 metre inflatable is probably the smallest you could get away with for 2 adults on board in anything but flat conditions. (Someone will probably disagree and cite their family trip round the British isles on a 2.5.)

Smaller inflatables take up less space and need a smaller, lighter, cheaper engine. When you're not using it, you always wish your inflatable was smaller, lighter and cheaper.

However, on the water, bigger is usually better. A bigger boat is more buoyant, more stable, more comfortable, and carries more.

You would need to tow your surfboards behind either of these sizes.
Old 22 July 2018, 18:45   #4

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Takacat have a UK dealer, and may have dealers in the US.
We are looking at using them as tenders at work - they are super light weight, stable and go very well with a small outboard.
With the open bow I would have thought you could drop your surf boards down the middle quite nicely - we are looking at carrying loads similar in size and shape to a surf board and it seems to work well with them.
Old 23 July 2018, 17:04   #5

Town: Newport Beach
Boat name: zegooch
Make: Zodiac
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha
Portable inflatable

I've helped a lot of people in your situation and just sold a rib to a guy to transport surfers out to break up in Santa Barbara. To you, I'd recommend either a Zodiac fastroller 325 (this one has a keel) or the cadet aero 310 or 350 depending on boat size desired I don't know if you have a shortboard or longboard. These are both air floors and can be rolled up but also have a sturdy transom you can mount the beach wheels on for launching. I'd also recommend perhaps a used two stroke motor- they tend to weigh a little less than the fourstrokes and can be a little quicker. If you want something a little sturdier and quicker but not as portable a rib would be ideal with a 15hp tiller but I would suggest having it on a trailer rather than your car roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillax View Post
Hello guys, I'm new here. Here's the situation: I live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Beautiful place but corrupt as Mexico is they are trying to close down the beaches to the public. The only access soon will be through boats.

I'm a surfer and my idea was to launch the boat at a ramp or through a beach, reach the surf point, throw the anchor and start surfing.

I was thinking about buying an used Dinghy but a friend of mine who had one completely discouraged me saying that they can get quite complicated in terms of maintenance, launching, etc. He said he always needed somebody to be able to do the whole launching procedure, etc. He said a Jet Ski was a much better because it was just easy to launch and hassle free.

The big problem is that my condo does not allow to keep boats, jet-skis, or trailers.

I have a warehouse though which is 7 feet L x 6 feet wide and 14 feet tall.

So I saw a video about this Dinghy:

it seems super portable, the website says you can even transport it on the car's roof racks.

So I need either a boat I can easily inflate and deflate anywhere, or that I can carry on the car's roof. Or something so small that will fit inside my warehouse but I need it to fit 2 people and surf boards.

So I'm liking this Takacat a lot but they are from NZ, I'm in Mexico and would like to know closer and perhaps cheaper options, maybe something I can buy in the USA and get shipped to Mexico.

What do you recommend?
Old 23 July 2018, 17:13   #6

Yeah so I think the takacat is the design I like the most. I wonder if there are cheaper options in North America with the same design?

It seems you can inflate it in less than 10 minutes but then you need to attach the motor, and probably the wheels. Does that take too long?

This would be a good option to store in my warehouse.

I'm also looking at the Sea Doo Spark, it costs about $5k but I would have to buy the trailer and pay for a warehouse. I can rent a warehouse for $70/month. But you know, it is an extra expenditure.
Old 23 July 2018, 18:27   #7
RIBnet admin team

Watch out for really cheap Ski's - there is a brand (and I think it is the Sea Doo) which intentionally aims to be the cheapest ski on the market* to suck you in - but its priced with options (engine, storage, seat, etc) that are very minimal and the upgrades are more than other brands which supply genuine ready to use skis. The numbers were attractive enough to make me look - until I realised the true price.

*There are people who do this with boats too.
Old 23 July 2018, 18:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Watch out for really cheap Ski's - there is a brand (and I think it is the Sea Doo) which intentionally aims to be the cheapest ski on the market* to suck you in - but its priced with options (engine, storage, seat, etc) that are very minimal and the upgrades are more than other brands which supply genuine ready to use skis. The numbers were attractive enough to make me look - until I realised the true price.

Interesting what you are saying, but lets take the Sea Doo Spark as an example, it is an entry level jet ski, I only want a reliable sea vehicle, I don't want to race or anything, what else would I need and how much would that be? I mean, it should be plug n play wouldnt it? And I can buy a trailer somewhere else.
Old 23 July 2018, 18:42   #9

You know, I just remember that they advertise the takacat lite as being able to be carried on the car's roof. It is also about 7 feet long but it doesnt matter anymore as I could also sit it with the nose facing the ceiling in my warehouse which is more than 10 feet high and then just place it on the car's roof and bring the motor inside the trunk.

Are there any other quick inflatable dinghys you would recommend? Preferably North American.
Old 23 July 2018, 22:11   #10

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

the spark is the most realible unit seadoo have probably ever built, awesome surf ski, cheap to run and robust as long as you don’t hit imovable objects.... buy the base 60hp flash the ecu and good to go don’t need brakes and reverse or a cooler or cruise control.... as it’s built in Mexico might be some deals to be had? There are only 3 real manufacturers Kawasaki, seadoo, Yamaha Kawasaki are stick with a very old design (good but old) seadoo have reliability issues but are most innovative and Yamaha very realiable (used for surf rescuce a lot) but none carry a surf board easily...

However you won’t get a surf board on one ( not even a boogie board) which means towing the board, not sure how they tow at 50mph?? You could use a rescue sled but will be ungainly

A SIB will work better even a relatively large sib will fit in a small store and go in a medium to larger car, more faff should work better. Can keep it on a trailer if you have space and enough room for a board and some some refreshments anchor well outside breaking swell and you should have a nice solution. There are some other options
Old 24 July 2018, 07:15   #11

Length: 7m +
I am so Jealous, spent several years visiting Puerto Vallarta while working on cruise ships in the late 80's and 90's, very fond memories, free tequilla shots straight off the ship, wonderful beaches, garden of eden restaurant for lunch in the mountains and then either carlos and charlies or senor frogs for margeritas and beer in the afternoon before heading back to the ship a little worse for wear. Faboulous sunsets. I am surprised you say they are closing the beaches to the public perhaps its something to do with the ever expanding resort hotels.

One of my favourite places in mexico apart from Cozumel.
Old 04 August 2018, 15:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
A 3.1 metre inflatable will carry 2 adults and safety equipment and anchor easily. It will go at a reasonable speed with a 6 hp engine and will plane with 2 people and a 9.9 hp engine.

I can fit mine, folded, in the back of a small car with the engine and all equipment.

A 2.7 metre inflatable is probably the smallest you could get away with for 2 adults on board in anything but flat conditions. (Someone will probably disagree and cite their family trip round the British isles on a 2.5.)

Smaller inflatables take up less space and need a smaller, lighter, cheaper engine. When you're not using it, you always wish your inflatable was smaller, lighter and cheaper.

However, on the water, bigger is usually better. A bigger boat is more buoyant, more stable, more comfortable, and carries more.

You would need to tow your surfboards behind either of these sizes.
It would be great if you could post some pictures of how you carry yours folded on the back of your car. How long does it take you to put air to it and get it all ready?
Old 04 August 2018, 15:27   #13

Man those zodiacs are super expensive, almost $2000!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipjames View Post
I've helped a lot of people in your situation and just sold a rib to a guy to transport surfers out to break up in Santa Barbara. To you, I'd recommend either a Zodiac fastroller 325 (this one has a keel) or the cadet aero 310 or 350 depending on boat size desired I don't know if you have a shortboard or longboard. These are both air floors and can be rolled up but also have a sturdy transom you can mount the beach wheels on for launching. I'd also recommend perhaps a used two stroke motor- they tend to weigh a little less than the fourstrokes and can be a little quicker. If you want something a little sturdier and quicker but not as portable a rib would be ideal with a 15hp tiller but I would suggest having it on a trailer rather than your car roof.
Old 04 August 2018, 15:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I am so Jealous, spent several years visiting Puerto Vallarta while working on cruise ships in the late 80's and 90's, very fond memories, free tequilla shots straight off the ship, wonderful beaches, garden of eden restaurant for lunch in the mountains and then either carlos and charlies or senor frogs for margeritas and beer in the afternoon before heading back to the ship a little worse for wear. Faboulous sunsets. I am surprised you say they are closing the beaches to the public perhaps its something to do with the ever expanding resort hotels.

One of my favourite places in mexico apart from Cozumel.
Thanks, they are closing the beaches in Punta Mita
Old 04 August 2018, 15:45   #15

What do you guys think of Saturn catamarans or KaBoats?

I think they are way simpler, portable and super cheap. I'm thinking I could use them with a Suzuki df 2.5.

By the way, motors such as Suzuki df 2.5 do they need a battery for ignition or something? In most dinghy videos I never see the batteries. Also how far would you recommend going with a dinghy in the sea?
Old 05 August 2018, 20:19   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillax View Post
What do you guys think of Saturn catamarans or KaBoats?

I think they are way simpler, portable and super cheap. I'm thinking I could use them with a Suzuki df 2.5.

By the way, motors such as Suzuki df 2.5 do they need a battery for ignition or something? In most dinghy videos I never see the batteries. Also how far would you recommend going with a dinghy in the sea?

I don’t know those brands so will leave commenting to others. Super cheap usually doesn’t bode well with inflatable boats though. Not sure how much simpler than an airfloor sib you can get. Small OB’s will be pull start with no battery.

There are many threads on the forum about “how far” people go in small boats. The answer is, it all depends. The sea means different things to different people, changes hugely with weather, and what people will risk depends on their experience and who else is around. Generally though 2.5hp is “yacht tender” territory as are the boats they go on... so you probably don’t want to be too much further than the sort of distance people anchor yachts in and where you could row to safety if it packs in.
Old 01 September 2018, 03:41   #17

And what do you guys think of the bomboard? I mean, it looks kind of cheap and it is on development but gosh, I just think is a great idea because you don't need to haul it to the beach, it seems light enough to not need wheels, and you can even carry it inside the car, plus since it is technically a jet ski it is easier to launch from beaches, the price is also very low. I don't know, too good to be true?

Old 11 February 2019, 05:35   #18

Town: Auckland
Boat name: Harpoon
Make: Takacat
Engine: Yamaha F6
Hello Avillax, did you end up with the Takacat? I recently purchased a 340LX model and am very pleased with it. The boat and accessories plus Yamaha F6 all fit in the boot of my Mazda6 wagon. It is easily roof rack transported and can be unpacked and launched in more like 15 to 20 minutes (if you use the electric pump - that way you get on with setting up instead of raising a sweat pumping). There is only one "screw" and that's holding the open transom. No tools required for anything. With the open front, you could easily transport your board. It's a relatively dry boat and very stable.
Old 11 February 2019, 07:21   #19

Length: 7m +
A great place Puerto Vallarta, used to visit it on a weekly basis for a number of years when working on cruise liners in the 80's and 90's, tequila slammers lovely. Beaches being closed to the public, it sounds like maybe thats due to the rise in hotel resorts and them trying to claim the beach frontage as part of their resort. Had a similar issue in barbados a few years ago, was walking along the beach and suddenly a form of scum (hotel security guard) stopped me and told me the beach was private and I had to go back the way I had come.

It's a growing trend on many islands and beach front holliday places and I don't like it at all, its not good for the locals and dont think its good for the countries involved, most holliday makers probably would not care or even think about it. Perhaps you need some local action group to start a campaign to stop it. (hard to do in mexico)