Old 24 July 2018, 02:15   #11

Length: 7m +
I am so Jealous, spent several years visiting Puerto Vallarta while working on cruise ships in the late 80's and 90's, very fond memories, free tequilla shots straight off the ship, wonderful beaches, garden of eden restaurant for lunch in the mountains and then either carlos and charlies or senor frogs for margeritas and beer in the afternoon before heading back to the ship a little worse for wear. Faboulous sunsets. I am surprised you say they are closing the beaches to the public perhaps its something to do with the ever expanding resort hotels.

One of my favourite places in mexico apart from Cozumel.

Old 04 August 2018, 10:14   #12

Town: Puerto Vallarta
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
A 3.1 metre inflatable will carry 2 adults and safety equipment and anchor easily. It will go at a reasonable speed with a 6 hp engine and will plane with 2 people and a 9.9 hp engine.

I can fit mine, folded, in the back of a small car with the engine and all equipment.

A 2.7 metre inflatable is probably the smallest you could get away with for 2 adults on board in anything but flat conditions. (Someone will probably disagree and cite their family trip round the British isles on a 2.5.)

Smaller inflatables take up less space and need a smaller, lighter, cheaper engine. When you're not using it, you always wish your inflatable was smaller, lighter and cheaper.

However, on the water, bigger is usually better. A bigger boat is more buoyant, more stable, more comfortable, and carries more.

You would need to tow your surfboards behind either of these sizes.
It would be great if you could post some pictures of how you carry yours folded on the back of your car. How long does it take you to put air to it and get it all ready?

Old 04 August 2018, 10:27   #13

Man those zodiacs are super expensive, almost $2000!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipjames View Post
I've helped a lot of people in your situation and just sold a rib to a guy to transport surfers out to break up in Santa Barbara. To you, I'd recommend either a Zodiac fastroller 325 (this one has a keel) or the cadet aero 310 or 350 depending on boat size desired I don't know if you have a shortboard or longboard. These are both air floors and can be rolled up but also have a sturdy transom you can mount the beach wheels on for launching. I'd also recommend perhaps a used two stroke motor- they tend to weigh a little less than the fourstrokes and can be a little quicker. If you want something a little sturdier and quicker but not as portable a rib would be ideal with a 15hp tiller but I would suggest having it on a trailer rather than your car roof.
Old 04 August 2018, 10:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I am so Jealous, spent several years visiting Puerto Vallarta while working on cruise ships in the late 80's and 90's, very fond memories, free tequilla shots straight off the ship, wonderful beaches, garden of eden restaurant for lunch in the mountains and then either carlos and charlies or senor frogs for margeritas and beer in the afternoon before heading back to the ship a little worse for wear. Faboulous sunsets. I am surprised you say they are closing the beaches to the public perhaps its something to do with the ever expanding resort hotels.

One of my favourite places in mexico apart from Cozumel.
Thanks, they are closing the beaches in Punta Mita
Old 04 August 2018, 10:45   #15

What do you guys think of Saturn catamarans or KaBoats?

I think they are way simpler, portable and super cheap. I'm thinking I could use them with a Suzuki df 2.5.

By the way, motors such as Suzuki df 2.5 do they need a battery for ignition or something? In most dinghy videos I never see the batteries. Also how far would you recommend going with a dinghy in the sea?
Old 05 August 2018, 15:19   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by avillax View Post
What do you guys think of Saturn catamarans or KaBoats?

I think they are way simpler, portable and super cheap. I'm thinking I could use them with a Suzuki df 2.5.

By the way, motors such as Suzuki df 2.5 do they need a battery for ignition or something? In most dinghy videos I never see the batteries. Also how far would you recommend going with a dinghy in the sea?

I don’t know those brands so will leave commenting to others. Super cheap usually doesn’t bode well with inflatable boats though. Not sure how much simpler than an airfloor sib you can get. Small OB’s will be pull start with no battery.

There are many threads on the forum about “how far” people go in small boats. The answer is, it all depends. The sea means different things to different people, changes hugely with weather, and what people will risk depends on their experience and who else is around. Generally though 2.5hp is “yacht tender” territory as are the boats they go on... so you probably don’t want to be too much further than the sort of distance people anchor yachts in and where you could row to safety if it packs in.
Old 31 August 2018, 22:41   #17

And what do you guys think of the bomboard? I mean, it looks kind of cheap and it is on development but gosh, I just think is a great idea because you don't need to haul it to the beach, it seems light enough to not need wheels, and you can even carry it inside the car, plus since it is technically a jet ski it is easier to launch from beaches, the price is also very low. I don't know, too good to be true?

Old 11 February 2019, 00:35   #18

Town: Auckland
Boat name: Harpoon
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha F6
Hello Avillax, did you end up with the Takacat? I recently purchased a 340LX model and am very pleased with it. The boat and accessories plus Yamaha F6 all fit in the boot of my Mazda6 wagon. It is easily roof rack transported and can be unpacked and launched in more like 15 to 20 minutes (if you use the electric pump - that way you get on with setting up instead of raising a sweat pumping). There is only one "screw" and that's holding the open transom. No tools required for anything. With the open front, you could easily transport your board. It's a relatively dry boat and very stable.
Old 11 February 2019, 02:21   #19

Length: 7m +
A great place Puerto Vallarta, used to visit it on a weekly basis for a number of years when working on cruise liners in the 80's and 90's, tequila slammers lovely. Beaches being closed to the public, it sounds like maybe thats due to the rise in hotel resorts and them trying to claim the beach frontage as part of their resort. Had a similar issue in barbados a few years ago, was walking along the beach and suddenly a form of scum (hotel security guard) stopped me and told me the beach was private and I had to go back the way I had come.

It's a growing trend on many islands and beach front holliday places and I don't like it at all, its not good for the locals and dont think its good for the countries involved, most holliday makers probably would not care or even think about it. Perhaps you need some local action group to start a campaign to stop it. (hard to do in mexico)