Old 23 June 2018, 23:03   #1

Town: Tyne and wear
Make: Honwave t38ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha f6
Please help Scraped my honwave t38ie hull

Hi I am new to these forums and really need help. I have scraped the hull on my honwave t38ie on concrete which has caused a I inch scrape on the front left of the hull which is leaking air not bad but you can hear it and feel it on you're finger I was wondering if the repaire kit would be enough to fix it as not sure with it being pumped to 0.8 bar if any one has any information on how to repair the hull any information would be much appreciated as wanting to go outboard on Wednesday please help.
Old 24 June 2018, 01:57   #2

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp

Picture would help, without a picture I advise using a large patch over the tear, if the tear is say 5cm use a 20x20cm patch, cut the corners off the patch to make them rounded, prime the patch and whole area to be glued with MEK use 2 part PVC adhesive, apply a coat of adhesive to patch and area, let that coat dry then apply a second coat to both the patch and area then apply the patch to the area when they are both tacky, apply pressure for 30 mins, apply a light weight to the patch or ensure the patch and area are flat for 24hrs (apply the patch at 30-50% inflation once it's bonded deflate fully)
Old 24 June 2018, 10:52   #3

The air is leeking from the center whole the other little scrapes are from my brother putting a patch on and then pulling it off using the wrong method which pulled a bit of the rubber coating off the hull I have got all glue off the hull so looks a lot better now so would a big patch fix this thanks
Old 24 June 2018, 11:56   #4

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Don't panic. You will be able to repair it. You will need a patch that is big enough to overlap the area of damage.

The trick with patching anything is to be methodical, read the instructions, and follow them without taking short cuts. Best of all, don't rely on a brother to d it. Brothers have many good qualities, but being reliable at following instructions is seldom one of them.

All methods of patching require thoroughly cleaning the area to be patched and most methods require the area to be slightly roughened with sandpaper or similar. This stage of the process is as important as every other stage but is the one that is often skimped.

Do a dry run with the patch. Make sure it fits. If it has to go round a corner, you need to look out for it folding or creasing and may need to cut or position it accordingly. Once you've got h right position, it may help to mark the ideal position by making a box around it with 3 or 4 pieces of masking tape.

Good luck.
Old 24 June 2018, 13:43   #5

Thanks for the info much appreciated I have Bought a new repair kit and will fix it soon as it arrives.
Old 24 June 2018, 21:37   #6

Don't use sand paper or wet and dry paper unless it's an emergency and you do not have MEK and that's your only option, if you've ordered a proper 2 part glue kit get 500ml at least of MEK it's only £10 or so it makes the PVC take the glue much much better. MEK makes the PVC tacky and the glue binds without fail every time.
Old 25 June 2018, 22:01   #7

Hi was just wondering the material on the hull is different than the tubes will that make a difference?
Old 25 June 2018, 22:26   #8

No all the tube and floor material is the same (PVC) the rubbing strakes are also PVC so PVC glue will glue all of it.
Did you order the MEK priming solution?
Old 25 June 2018, 23:39   #9

Yes I have Bought all the stuff I need thanks for the help hopefully back on the water soon.
Old 26 June 2018, 11:01   #10

OK I have the kit but the only thing am not sure is how to mix the curing agent with the adhesive I bought a pro repair kit of ebay which came with a roller do I tip the full little bottle of curing agent into the adhesive and then mix?
Old 26 June 2018, 13:26   #11

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanage View Post
do I tip the full little bottle of curing agent into the adhesive and then mix?
Hi Khanage .. In theory ..yes as that will be the correct mix.

However in practice you wont as you don’t need much for a small patch. Just mix up the amount you need. Personally I just roughly judge the amounts based on the instructions ratio...but some will measure with small syringes ..pipettes etc

If you mix it all in..the rest of the mix will be wasted unless you have a use for it just now. You may want to redo it at a later date or get another leak..so best keep some.

Hope that helps ..good luck
Old 26 June 2018, 13:54   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As Gurnard says it is rare you will need all of even the smallest supplied quantity unless the patch is huge and this time of year* it will go off so quickly.

*Assuming you have the weather of Gurnard's latest video... and that we have in Cornwall at the moment.