Old 29 November 2016, 01:24   #1

Make: Zodiac FR 340
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 4 Stroke
Please help IDing Zodiac Fastroller

I know this is a long shot but thought id give it a try.

So I'm talking with an older gentlemen about buying his used zodiac fastroller boat. This is the only photo he has of the boat and being an older fellow he is unable to email me photos of the boat.

Based on this photo is anyone able to identify the year and model of it. He is 100% sure its a Zodiac 340 fastroller but that is all. Purchased around 2008. He does have the manual which includes a sketch of the boat. The back tubes are torpedo styled with black cones, not consistent with the newer fastrollers i've seen.

The manual also lists the following
Overall length: 11' 2"
Overall width: 5' 6"
Inside length: 7' 4" - This has me puzzled - I cannot find a fastroller with this measurement
Inside width: 2' 7"
Chambers: 3 + 1 + 1 - I thought fastrollers were 3 + 1 (keel and floor filled from the same valve)
Tube Diameter: 1' 6"
Weight: 73 lbs
Max Capacity: 600 kg / 1333 lbs

Thanks
Old 29 November 2016, 03:37   #2

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
The original fastrollers had a separate fill for the keel and the floor. The newer Acti-V version has a high pressure keel that is connected to the floor which fill through one valve.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 03:46   #3

Thanks for the reply. He says the manual say Activ-V Hull but also says chambers 3 + 1 + 1. I'm quite confused.

What year did the original fastrollers come out?
Old 29 November 2016, 06:18   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I think the HP floor Fastrollers were introduced in the early 2000s... and the Acti-V HP keel type by 2006. I had one of the earlier types type and still have the Zodiac brochure for it. The measurements you have are 100% correct for the old type 340 with the separate low pressure keel.

The outer bag looks immaculate fitting in with a little used 2008 but I would want to check the glued seams (that they are not coming unglued) on a fastroller before buying unless very cheap.... just in case the boat is older than the purchase date.
Old 29 November 2016, 06:44   #5

Thanks a lot for that information!!

What kind of price would something like this be worth assuming all the seems are perfectly fine? It also includes all original accessories. Despite not being used a 10 year old boat isn't exactly new anymore.

I am also contemplating a 2015 360 FR, have there been many upgrades since the earlier models?

Also do you mind posting the brochure if its not too much trouble? Been trying to locate brochures for the early 2000s but cant find to find any online.
Old 29 November 2016, 07:10   #6

I could post a photo later of the brochure page for the Fastroller if that helps??

In the UK this time of year I guess you'd be paying around £600 for a clean 2008 340 Fastroller... two slightly older ones have sold for £325 & £400 recently though.

I've also owned a 360 Fastroller with Acti-V. For its small dimensional increase it seemed very roomy but the extra floor length did show up the air floor flex and "humping" under way more.
Old 29 November 2016, 07:20   #7

Yes! that would really help me out!

So i guess these boats lose their value fast, always thought zodiacs retained their value.

My main issue with the old fastrollers is that they have less room inside. The inside room is comparable to todays 325 models. The 325 has an inside length of 7'6" vs the old 340 of 7'4". The flexing isn't too much of a concern for me, ill mostly be going motor-less. I just want something that is easy to assemble and can hold 2 people comfortable, 3 people in a pinch.
Old 29 November 2016, 07:52   #8

When you are comparing the 340 dimensions to the 325 it's all down to the newer short cone length really.

Well yes in the UK there is a fair drop from new cost with the Zodiacs once they get a few years old. It's not helped by the fact that (in the UK for certain) the Chinese made Honwaves have proved to be very durable and are amazing value for money.

Over here a 325 Fastroller is around £1400 but the similar dimension Honwave 3.2 air floor is £800... so why would you pay much more than £600 for an 8yr old Fastroller when you can get the Honwave new with 2yr warranty for £800?

An added factor is the Honwave has a far stiffer V air floor and a stronger transom rated to 15hp but the Zodiac is only rated to 8hp.

In truth in the UK you have to have a very strong historical brand loyalty to buy Zodiac SIBs at new prices.

Edit: I know Office888 who posts here from USA and has extensive experience of Zodiacs does not rate Chinese built SIBs for use in his area but I can only report on my very positive actual experience of the Honwaves over the past 10yrs sibbing in the UK.
Old 29 November 2016, 08:00   #9

That's good to know, i wonder why Honwave isn't sold in NA.

Do you know when the Fastrollers started being thermo-bonded?

Also can you explain to me how the old Fastrollers were inflated? Looking at pictures of the 2005 Fastrollers I'm a little confused, how do you inflate the keel? Do you need to inflate the keel first then put the air floor over it?
Old 29 November 2016, 08:08   #10

Office888 can give detail on the thermoweld but broadly speaking the Fastrollers have always been mostly welded with I think just the floor glued in and part of the transom.

On the older fastrollers the air floor had an aperture near the bow where you accessed the valve for the LP keel.

The later Acti-V models had a hose that connected the floor to keel so it all inflated together. Over time the bosses where the hose fitted to the floor/keel could distort... hose assy is available from Zodiac as a spare and easily changed (about £30 if I remember).
Old 29 November 2016, 08:26   #11

Thanks again, very informative.

I'm basically trying to learn the difference between the old and new models. So both are basically thermo-welded. Old model has torpedo cones with less inside room. New model has a hose connecting the floor and the keel. Doesn't seem the engineers at Zoadic were overly busy in the last 10 years. Am I missing anything else?
Old 29 November 2016, 08:40   #12

One small but very worthwhile improvement old to very recent (last 4yrs approx) is a change in the air floor outer surface. The old ones had a texture like sandpaper which attracted dirt and was near impossible to clean back to a new look. The latest ones have a dimpled but smooth finish which is wipe clean and stays smart.

Also not sure if they've dropped it now but for a few years on some of the later ones they had a storage pot that fitted into the bow tube. Minimal storage for the complication and if you forgot or lost it the boat was unusable. http://www.iboats.com/sites/Zodiac/s...v-int-l-14.jpg

But otherwise you're right... not many changes.

Having said that really what is there to change? My original Zodiac Mk.1 from 1972 was little different to a Zodiac Classic today over 40yrs on.... tubes... hard floor over LP keel and stretchy floor.
Old 29 November 2016, 08:54   #13

I was thinking changes to materials or something like that but you are right, when you have a good design why change something that's working.

Thanks again for the education. I really appreciate your informative responses. I guess I better get to bed now, didn't think I'd lose sleep over this
Old 29 November 2016, 09:49   #14

Here is the best I could do with brochure pics.

Something I did notice was the original 340 transom was rated to 15hp... and the current equivalent 325 is rated to just 8hp. I don't think they've downrated the construction... just realised these light transom air floors need more modest power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fastroller 2002.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	117260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fastroller 2002 detail.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	117261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fastroller 2002 features.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	117262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fastroller 2002 headers.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	117263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fastroller 2002 spec.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	117264  

Old 29 November 2016, 10:03   #15

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
One small but very worthwhile improvement old to very recent (last 4yrs approx) is a change in the air floor outer surface. The old ones had a texture like sandpaper which attracted dirt and was near impossible to clean back to a new look. The latest ones have a dimpled but smooth finish which is wipe clean and stays smart.

Also not sure if they've dropped it now but for a few years on some of the later ones they had a storage pot that fitted into the bow tube. Minimal storage for the complication and if you forgot or lost it the boat was unusable. http://www.iboats.com/sites/Zodiac/s...v-int-l-14.jpg

But otherwise you're right... not many changes.

Having said that really what is there to change? My original Zodiac Mk.1 from 1972 was little different to a Zodiac Classic today over 40yrs on.... tubes... hard floor over LP keel and stretchy floor.
thats the first time i have seen that, in-tube strorage good idea with pros & cons i suppose.
Old 29 November 2016, 10:19   #16

Hi Jeff yes it was a "cool" feature to impress onlookers but a bit of a faff. You had to remove it to deflate and pack... it had a twistlock mount and was a plastic pot that fitted into a sort of sock in the tube construction.

If you forgot to take the pot the manual said not to inflate the boat as I guess the sock would have turned inside out and stuck above the tube like a tree stump.
Old 29 November 2016, 12:20   #17

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Pre-2002/2003 fastrollers had glued floors (the bottom of the boat)
After that, France moved to welding.

When they hit that milestone, almost the entire boat is welded. ALL air-holding seams are welded, the baffles are welded, the floor (zodiac patent), the transom (zodiac patent)...the only glue is used to attached the floor to the wood of the transom.

Usually the boats get trashed because the wood rots out. There's two patches on the corners of the transom, that are called either "pie cut patches" or "pacman patches". Usually, they start to leak water in to the boat after 5-8 years. People ignore it. Then the transom rots from the bottom corners, on up.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 12:23   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Hi Jeff yes it was a "cool" feature to impress onlookers but a bit of a faff. You had to remove it to deflate and pack... it had a twistlock mount and was a plastic pot that fitted into a sort of sock in the tube construction.

If you forgot to take the pot the manual said not to inflate the boat as I guess the sock would have turned inside out and stuck above the tube like a tree stump.
that made me giggle the tree stump your own mooring bollard natty fearture
Old 29 November 2016, 12:42   #19

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:

I liked the INT-L locker.

Typical Zodiac : Weird, innovative, and functional.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 13:36   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
I liked the INT-L locker.

Typical Zodiac : Weird, innovative, and functional.
to be honest theres a lot of wasted space in a tube that could be utilised. large tube lockers could be inserted at the factory made the same as the clam shell repair method [bolt and clamp seal]

Tags
zodiac