Old 25 July 2016, 09:10   #1

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Pictures of Aerotec

Hi all kept saying I'd post some pictures of the aerotec but haven't had it out much so far, finally took some snaps yesterday.

Anyone got any ideas on how to carry stuff (paddles, spare fuel, anchor etc) as the bow bag broke (as everyone said it would) but without modifying the boat. I don't really want to modify as think it's likely I'll want to sell this early next year when the prices are high (I prefer the ali floor Zodiacs personally).

These things go get through some fuel I've noticed.

The block of wood seems to have brought the splash down to an acceptable level. It's still pretty slow though with a 25hp. Went out the other day and it was mill pond flat, ran at full power the entire time and it was a leisurely cruise, could there be something else wrong ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0705.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	114653   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0678.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	114654   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0710.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	114655  
Old 25 July 2016, 09:35   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
How to carry stuff:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rigging...tec-71912.html

Re' the speed - you need to give more info.

GPS speed?

Revs at WOT?

With a 25 you should be seeing low 20's in kts.
Old 25 July 2016, 09:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
How to carry stuff:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rigging...tec-71912.html

Looked at this before, noticed you've gone for a bladder and that allows the space where the tank would be to be used for pelicase. I'd rather have a tank than bladder. Carrying all the kit up front is my ideal but not sure how I can attached a bag with everything in that wont be bouncing all over the place !

Re' the speed - you need to give more info.

GPS speed?

Revs at WOT?

Unfortunately don't have that info. It just feels very slow, gentle cruise rather than a race around.

With a 25 you should be seeing low 20's in kts.
Curious as to how much you guys would expect I'll be able to sell this for ? less than 6 months old at the moment, clean, no damage etc.
Old 25 July 2016, 10:24   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I know it's annoying Sean but it's impossible to give any advice on speed without knowing the actual speed/revs as Max says... without those how it feels vs actual speed is hard to quantify.

However if it feels slow and you are using loads of fuel that's down to your outboard which could be off tune?

Best way to carry spare fuel is to get a larger 25l tank... I know it sounds daft but they don't seem to take up much more space than the 12l.

Re value the only way is to advertise or list on Ebay to see who is willing to pay what that week. There is very little history of almost new Aerotecs selling compared to a dozen or more much older ones that have sold this year to give a guide to their vaues.

This year there has been just one I know of sold at under 2yrs old and hardly used... that went for what I thought was a bargain £1500 with no bidders to oppose the one person who was interested.
Old 25 July 2016, 10:54   #5

I'd sell it Sean, I don't think (for whatever reason) you have ever really got on with it!

Have to say out Saturday on ours and it was fan-bloomin-tastic. Did about an hour's kneeboarding with my young lad out the back and our little girl tried too. Then along the coast to Hastings where we beached it and had fisherman's rolls and chips. Sea fog came out of nowhere as did a big wind and spent the next hour wavejumping. Superb day out for £15 of fuel.
Old 25 July 2016, 11:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I know it's annoying Sean but it's impossible to give any advice on speed without knowing the actual speed/revs as Max says... without those how it feels vs actual speed is hard to quantify.

However if it feels slow and you are using loads of fuel that's down to your outboard which could be off tune?

Guess this is possible, maybe I should look into this, I think it's just the extra drag of the bombard over the old ali floor zodiac I had.

Best way to carry spare fuel is to get a larger 25l tank... I know it sounds daft but they don't seem to take up much more space than the 12l.

Maybe I should buy a 25ltr then but buying anything for the Aerotec the way I currently feel about it is not a priority.

Re value the only way is to advertise or list on Ebay to see who is willing to pay what that week. There is very little history of almost new Aerotecs selling compared to a dozen or more much older ones that have sold this year to give a guide to their vaues.

This year there has been just one I know of sold at under 2yrs old and hardly used... that went for what I thought was a bargain £1500 with no bidders to oppose the one person who was interested.
This seems very cheap to me, considering a 10 year old one went for £1200ish from what I remember. Most dealers wanted £2500 new this year and that may have increased with the current value of the pound. Had hoped I'd get £2000+ for one a few months old.
Old 25 July 2016, 11:21   #7

It's always the same ... seller's hopes vs buyer's hopes!

No opinion on the vlaue of yours matters other than that of the guy with the cash standing in front of you... hence all the info I could offer was that actual £1500 price I mentioned.
Old 25 July 2016, 11:21   #8

Quote:
I'd sell it Sean, I don't think (for whatever reason) you have ever really got on with it!

yeah I'm not convinced it'll ever be for me (shame after having heard so many good things about them). I find it heavier to carry (floor is still in, where as Ali floor its separate), less stable feeling - alot less stable, not confident heading into waves like I used to be with the ali floor Zodiac, I think it takes at least as long, if not longer to set up and its slower (by quite a bit in my mind). Some of it may even just be a hang over from all the hassle I had trying to buy one, did tell Bombard I'd lost enthusiasm with the Aerotec, they said they'd do something special to help me regain it but I didn't feel like they did.

Have to say out Saturday on ours and it was fan-bloomin-tastic. Did about an hour's kneeboarding with my young lad out the back and our little girl tried too. Then along the coast to Hastings where we beached it and had fisherman's rolls and chips. Sea fog came out of nowhere as did a big wind and spent the next hour wavejumping. Superb day out for £15 of fuel.
Mine is so unstable feeling (to me anyway coming out of the zodiac M2 C) that I couldn't ever imagine jumping waves. One of the reasons for posting pictures, have wondered whether something was wrong with it !
Old 25 July 2016, 11:50   #9

I just don't get it...?!?!

Old 25 July 2016, 11:56   #10

Quote:
I just don't get it...?!?!

Me neither Max !!
Old 25 July 2016, 12:31   #11

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Different prop?

Prop setup can completely change the attitude of a boat.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2016, 13:03   #12

>>>Most dealers wanted £2500 new this year and that may have increased with the current value of the pound. Had hoped I'd get £2000+ for one a few months old.

No knocking yours Sean but if you want to sell you need to be realistic. Currently there are several dealers who will supply at £2300... you say you've broken your bow bag which at a nominal £100 brings the true value of yours "new" to £2200.

You can't hope that for buying a boat that doesn't suit then wanting to move it on you'd expect the buyer to (sort of) subsidise you by paying within £200 of new.
Old 25 July 2016, 13:26   #13

Quote:
>>>Most dealers wanted £2500 new this year and that may have increased with the current value of the pound. Had hoped I'd get £2000+ for one a few months old.

No knocking yours Sean but if you want to sell you need to be realistic. Currently there are several dealers who will supply at £2300... you say you've broken your bow bag which at a nominal £100 brings the true value of yours "new" to £2200.

You can't hope that for buying a boat that doesn't suit then wanting to move it on you'd expect the buyer to (sort of) subsidise you by paying within £200 of new.
Have a new bow bag already (still in bag).

You are right I've just remembered now it was 2300 that most dealers wanted rather than 2500.

I pretty much agree, hence was asking what people think I may get (£1500 felt a bit low to me but maybe a six month old boat is only worth a few hundred quid more than a 10 year old, it's secondhand all the same). I think it was you that I once saw comment that you'd have paid not far from new price for a nearly new boat (you were discussing the potential second hand value of the f rib) as a few outings against saving some cash may have been worth considering. In the same way I didn't see the point in paying £1200+ for a 10+ year old one, thought it was better value to buy new, anyway.....
Old 25 July 2016, 13:30   #14

I think the pound will stay the way that it currently is for a while and the new price will increase in September (I may be wrong). As I said earlier March/May prices seem to be very strong, so If I'm going to sell it this would probably be the time to do so.
Old 25 July 2016, 13:52   #15

>>> think it was you that I once saw comment that you'd have paid not far from new price for a nearly new boat

I never seek to mislead and yes that's true but how much I meant by not far from new.. that would have been down to the deal on the day!!

More pertinent is what I said in your thread this Feb....

>>>if considering new you'd have to accept if in the unlikely event it didn't suit you'd have to bite on a £500+ loss selling straight on. Used of course as long as you didn't pay too much you would likely break even selling straight on<<<

Ahh fair enough re bow bag.

I think £1500 was too cheap... £2000 is too much... so somewhere within that range lies a fair deal.
Old 26 July 2016, 09:39   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Different prop?

Prop setup can completely change the attitude of a boat.
How can I find out whether I have the correct prop ?
Old 26 July 2016, 11:11   #17

Somewhere your prop with have a part no or perhaps even a spec like 10px9 (10" pitch x 9" dia) or whatever stamped on it. With a light load and 25hp you should be fine with either 10" or 11" pitch. IMO you'd have to be well over-propped with a light boat, light load and flat sea for that to be the problem bogging you down.... unless of course it's massively under propped and you are at max revs with reduced speed. That's why a cheap tach and GPS for speed is crucial to sorting this if you wanted to keep the outfit.

It was fine on your old SIB wasn't it?

In truth I think it's the lightweight nature of the Aerotec that's not suiting you and to an extent I can understand that... I well remember the feel of our 3.5m alloy floor Honwave and if that sort of thing was your ideal then the Aerotec with minimal load would feel flighty.

Didn't you have steering and remotes on your last Zodiac? That would make a massive difference to the feeling of control. Would that setup fit on the Aerotec for a trial?
Old 26 July 2016, 12:40   #18

Quote:
Somewhere your prop with have a part no or perhaps even a spec like 10px9 (10" pitch x 9" dia) or whatever stamped on it. With a light load and 25hp you should be fine with either 10" or 11" pitch. IMO you'd have to be well over-propped with a light boat, light load and flat sea for that to be the problem bogging you down.... unless of course it's massively under propped and you are at max revs with reduced speed. That's why a cheap tach and GPS for speed is crucial to sorting this if you wanted to keep the outfit.

It was fine on your old SIB wasn't it?

In truth I think it's the lightweight nature of the Aerotec that's not suiting you and to an extent I can understand that... I well remember the feel of our 3.5m alloy floor Honwave and if that sort of thing was your ideal then the Aerotec with minimal load would feel flighty.

Didn't you have steering and remotes on your last Zodiac? That would make a massive difference to the feeling of control. Would that setup fit on the Aerotec for a trial?
Yeah prop seemed fine on my last outfit, has a few nicks but only very minor ones, I'll check what it has on it later.

I guess theres an app I can download to my phone for speed ? Any recommendations or is that just not accurate enough ?

General question, I noticed a long time ago that there is what looks like a cigarette lighter socket on the front of my outboard, is that what it is ?

I think it is just how much lighter it is, someone else described it well, they said the floor felt bubbly as the waves hit. They also said that they are now used to that feeling which gave me some hope.

I do have an old set of remotes, could probably do with some tinkering and I prefer tiller and less set up.

I saw your post about your name sticker, if you need anymore (unlikely I know) send me a message, you've been so helpful to me, I'd be really happy to have just made you one and up and posted it for free
Old 26 July 2016, 13:35   #19

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
How can I find out whether I have the correct prop ?
Not only the correct prop, but is your current prop in "good shape"?

It looks like you run a fairly old Yamaha outboard (good era though!), but, if that's the original prop, the blades might be a little eroded with age. The hub might also be starting to flex or slip under load. Maybe one of the blades is a tad bent? I can't really tell from the picture though.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote