Old 25 July 2016, 07:31   #11

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Different prop?

Prop setup can completely change the attitude of a boat.

Old 25 July 2016, 08:03   #12

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>>Most dealers wanted 2500 new this year and that may have increased with the current value of the pound. Had hoped I'd get 2000+ for one a few months old.

No knocking yours Sean but if you want to sell you need to be realistic. Currently there are several dealers who will supply at 2300... you say you've broken your bow bag which at a nominal 100 brings the true value of yours "new" to 2200.

You can't hope that for buying a boat that doesn't suit then wanting to move it on you'd expect the buyer to (sort of) subsidise you by paying within 200 of new.

Old 25 July 2016, 08:26   #13

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Most dealers wanted 2500 new this year and that may have increased with the current value of the pound. Had hoped I'd get 2000+ for one a few months old.

No knocking yours Sean but if you want to sell you need to be realistic. Currently there are several dealers who will supply at 2300... you say you've broken your bow bag which at a nominal 100 brings the true value of yours "new" to 2200.

You can't hope that for buying a boat that doesn't suit then wanting to move it on you'd expect the buyer to (sort of) subsidise you by paying within 200 of new.
Have a new bow bag already (still in bag).

You are right I've just remembered now it was 2300 that most dealers wanted rather than 2500.

I pretty much agree, hence was asking what people think I may get (1500 felt a bit low to me but maybe a six month old boat is only worth a few hundred quid more than a 10 year old, it's secondhand all the same). I think it was you that I once saw comment that you'd have paid not far from new price for a nearly new boat (you were discussing the potential second hand value of the f rib) as a few outings against saving some cash may have been worth considering. In the same way I didn't see the point in paying 1200+ for a 10+ year old one, thought it was better value to buy new, anyway.....
Old 25 July 2016, 08:30   #14

I think the pound will stay the way that it currently is for a while and the new price will increase in September (I may be wrong). As I said earlier March/May prices seem to be very strong, so If I'm going to sell it this would probably be the time to do so.
Old 25 July 2016, 08:52   #15

>>> think it was you that I once saw comment that you'd have paid not far from new price for a nearly new boat

I never seek to mislead and yes that's true but how much I meant by not far from new.. that would have been down to the deal on the day!!

More pertinent is what I said in your thread this Feb....

>>>if considering new you'd have to accept if in the unlikely event it didn't suit you'd have to bite on a 500+ loss selling straight on. Used of course as long as you didn't pay too much you would likely break even selling straight on<<<

Ahh fair enough re bow bag.

I think 1500 was too cheap... 2000 is too much... so somewhere within that range lies a fair deal.
Old 26 July 2016, 04:39   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Different prop?

Prop setup can completely change the attitude of a boat.
How can I find out whether I have the correct prop ?
Old 26 July 2016, 06:11   #17

Somewhere your prop with have a part no or perhaps even a spec like 10px9 (10" pitch x 9" dia) or whatever stamped on it. With a light load and 25hp you should be fine with either 10" or 11" pitch. IMO you'd have to be well over-propped with a light boat, light load and flat sea for that to be the problem bogging you down.... unless of course it's massively under propped and you are at max revs with reduced speed. That's why a cheap tach and GPS for speed is crucial to sorting this if you wanted to keep the outfit.

It was fine on your old SIB wasn't it?

In truth I think it's the lightweight nature of the Aerotec that's not suiting you and to an extent I can understand that... I well remember the feel of our 3.5m alloy floor Honwave and if that sort of thing was your ideal then the Aerotec with minimal load would feel flighty.

Didn't you have steering and remotes on your last Zodiac? That would make a massive difference to the feeling of control. Would that setup fit on the Aerotec for a trial?
Old 26 July 2016, 07:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Somewhere your prop with have a part no or perhaps even a spec like 10px9 (10" pitch x 9" dia) or whatever stamped on it. With a light load and 25hp you should be fine with either 10" or 11" pitch. IMO you'd have to be well over-propped with a light boat, light load and flat sea for that to be the problem bogging you down.... unless of course it's massively under propped and you are at max revs with reduced speed. That's why a cheap tach and GPS for speed is crucial to sorting this if you wanted to keep the outfit.

It was fine on your old SIB wasn't it?

In truth I think it's the lightweight nature of the Aerotec that's not suiting you and to an extent I can understand that... I well remember the feel of our 3.5m alloy floor Honwave and if that sort of thing was your ideal then the Aerotec with minimal load would feel flighty.

Didn't you have steering and remotes on your last Zodiac? That would make a massive difference to the feeling of control. Would that setup fit on the Aerotec for a trial?
Yeah prop seemed fine on my last outfit, has a few nicks but only very minor ones, I'll check what it has on it later.

I guess theres an app I can download to my phone for speed ? Any recommendations or is that just not accurate enough ?

General question, I noticed a long time ago that there is what looks like a cigarette lighter socket on the front of my outboard, is that what it is ?

I think it is just how much lighter it is, someone else described it well, they said the floor felt bubbly as the waves hit. They also said that they are now used to that feeling which gave me some hope.

I do have an old set of remotes, could probably do with some tinkering and I prefer tiller and less set up.

I saw your post about your name sticker, if you need anymore (unlikely I know) send me a message, you've been so helpful to me, I'd be really happy to have just made you one and up and posted it for free
Old 26 July 2016, 08:35   #19

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
How can I find out whether I have the correct prop ?
Not only the correct prop, but is your current prop in "good shape"?

It looks like you run a fairly old Yamaha outboard (good era though!), but, if that's the original prop, the blades might be a little eroded with age. The hub might also be starting to flex or slip under load. Maybe one of the blades is a tad bent? I can't really tell from the picture though.