Old 09 June 2011, 12:53   #1

Town: norfolk
Length: 3m +
Petrol or electric outboard

Hi
Im getting my first SIB and im not sure about the engine petrol or electric. I will be using it for saltwater fly fishing, around creeks, tidal rivers, habours and hugging the coast line. Is there any table to compare the ouput of both engines. I know that electrics use thrust and petrol engine are measured in hp, but does a 30 lb thrust equal a 4 hp petrol? I dont know im hoping you might.
Roger
Old 09 June 2011, 13:04   #2

Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: twatsu 40
IMO , humbly,, you would be better off with petrol OB otherwise you have to worry about batteries charged ,extra weight involved bla,bla,bla i personall wouldnt want to rely on an electric ob except as an auxiliery motor .Petrol OBs are more fun too
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2011, 13:46   #3

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
IMHO as soon as you mention "tidal rivers, habours and hugging the coast line" electric really isn't an option. Maybe on small lakes and canals/rivers or as a trolling motor but not in the sea as your main source of propulsion.
Old 09 June 2011, 14:12   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger352 View Post
does a 30 lb thrust equal a 4 hp petrol? I dont know im hoping you might.
Roger
Nowhere near. Petrol every time,unless you want to fork out quite a lot of money for a Torqueedo.

It's far easier to carry a spare sealed can of petrol than a spare battery in an inflatable and I guarantee it'll be less uncomfortable refilling an integral tank on a petrol outboard than it will be messing around changing batteries with wet salty hands.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2011, 14:44   #5

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
I believe electric engines are used by fishermen on lakes, just to get to their final fishing point as noiselessly as possible, from a close distance point. Thus, many people has 90HP petrol engines plus a bow mounted electric one.

But they do not use it to get to the finish point from the starting point, by using the electric engine all the way.

You can get the same with a SIB by using your rows.
Old 09 June 2011, 16:24   #6

Town: Oakland CA
I see small hard boats and cheesy little pool-type inflatables running on trolling motors in Monterey quite a bit. Way too often they are the ones paddling or being towed back to shore.

OTOH, I've also seen several kayaks with trolling motors, which seem to work pretty well. Go figure.

I'd go for internal combustion, especially if you're going where surf, wind, and tidal currents may be an issue.

jky
Old 10 June 2011, 17:33   #7

Town: Hazlemere
Boat name: FEEFO
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Outboard Mariner 25
I took an small sib and electric motor (+2 batteries) to Lake Annecy last year and it was a disaster.

The slightest under current and it couldn't make any headway at all

Petrol every time
Bongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2011, 17:40   #8

Town: Ebbw Vale, Gwent
Boat name: Seabay
Make: Avon, Bonwitco
Engine: 4,25,35 Johnsons
I used a 55lb electric on my avon sib on the canal, It worked fine, reasonale canal speed, 2hrs pottering per battery. Really wouldn't want to depend on it with waves or currents.
Old 10 June 2011, 23:02   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Nowhere near. Petrol every time,unless you want to fork out quite a lot of money for a Torqueedo.
And to be honest they're pretty disappointing too. I bought a top of the range Torqeedo last year, used it once then put it up for sale.

They're OK if you need an electric outboard, and certainly way ahead of the competition, but can't touch a proper outboard.
Old 14 June 2011, 07:22   #10

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
And to be honest they're pretty disappointing too. I bought a top of the range Torqeedo last year, used it once then put it up for sale.

They're OK if you need an electric outboard, and certainly way ahead of the competition, but can't touch a proper outboard.
That is good info. Would you consider it be worthwhile to bring a folded-in-bag Torqueedo along in the SIB as emergency propulsion in the case that the main outboard becomes inoperable? Would it have enough propulsion to get a SIB back to shore against a current from a mile or so out?
Old 14 June 2011, 14:12   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
That is good info. Would you consider it be worthwhile to bring a folded-in-bag Torqueedo along in the SIB as emergency propulsion in the case that the main outboard becomes inoperable? Would it have enough propulsion to get a SIB back to shore against a current from a mile or so out?
A small 4-stroke Honda 2.3hp (air-cooled) or 2-stroke Tohatsu 3.5hp auxilliary engine (both around 13kgs) would be the way to go. Forget electric, unless it was for use on a reservoir for example, where outboards wouldn't be permitted. For example: Reservoirs to Lease near Glasgow | Loch Arklet Reservoir | land agent in Glasgow
Old 14 June 2011, 15:57   #12

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
obm

under no circumstances should electric obm(s) be used on any tidal waters that is a basic safety precaution.
Old 15 June 2011, 22:33   #13

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
Strange, I have used a Minn Kota electric outboard countless times when out and about at sea, and always at night. Truly fantastic pieces of equipment.

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2011, 09:45   #14

obm

sharkbyte yes i know there are some that would be ok on the sea close to shore but as safety issue the magority are not safe to use at sea, but as a bit of guidence/rule of thumb 17lbs/thrust is equall to 1hp (the actuall figure is 17.something recuring lbs/thrust to 1hp) any advice i give i try to go on the side of caution and hopefully no accidents.
regards
alan
Old 21 June 2011, 22:58   #15

Sorry, Uncle Al, but I think that you are just speculating about something you have absolutely no first hand knowledge of whatsoever.

Your answer is no doubt considered 'textbook' by the H&S spoilsports and the 'RNLI wannabees' that hover around the forums, but it is simply without substance.

If the OP would like to know about the realities of safely using electric outboards at sea (mainly bass fishing in the Channel Islands and the estuaries of Essex, over many years), I'll quite happily correspond with him via pm.

Old 22 June 2011, 15:43   #16

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Speaking form a purely theoretical viewpoint, the energy density of a (full) 5L fuel tank is substantially higher than that of a similar sized and far heavier battery.

Or, in practical terms, how much further could you go with 5L of petrol in a 2Hp outboard vs what Halfords & the like would call a "small car battery" (i.e 50-ish AH)
Old 22 June 2011, 16:14   #17

Absolutely no idea, 'John'.

Tell you what, why don't you go away an work it all out, and come back with an accurate graphical representation of Kj/Nm plotted on the X axis, and bass / rod hours / engine decibels on the Y axis.............

Old 22 June 2011, 19:54   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbyte View Post
Absolutely no idea, 'John'.

Tell you what, why don't you go away an work it all out, and come back with an accurate graphical representation of Kj/Nm plotted on the X axis, and bass / rod hours / engine decibels on the Y axis.............
You seem to be getting a bit wound up. Bear in mind that everyone else has as much right to post their opposing view as you do.

Do you use electric power as your sole means of propulsion? I can see their use but I wouldn't want to be relying on one to get back ashore against wind and tide.

PS. Who's john?
Old 22 June 2011, 20:15   #19

sharkbyte unfortunutly i do have knowledge, please look through a lot of past replies as and when you are bored to see who i used to work for before i retired, and i stand by my safety advise
Old 15 July 2011, 08:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
sharkbyte unfortunutly i do have knowledge, please look through a lot of past replies as and when you are bored to see who i used to work for before i retired, and i stand by my safety advise

I have had no inclination to find out what you did for a living, Uncle Al, besides, it wouldn't make a jot of difference. A decades worth of electric outboard experience, totally many hundreds of hours, isn't about to evaporate on your say so.

My rather blunt comments are purely as a result of having seen internet forums taken over by textbook fanatics, and those seeking some kind of prefect-like status.

A typical Google search these days brings up a thousand results written by odd bods and charlatans repeating the drivel of some 'well respected' know it all.