Old 20 December 2018, 17:16   #21

Town: Every Where
Boat name: Milenium Buzzard
Make: Proline
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by brveagle View Post
Where are you located? Your initial post neglected to mention a budget of $3k for a new SIB.

In the USA you can sometimes find surplus zodiac milpro sibs for your budget (without motor/trailer usually) or find one that needs some glue work and go from there. My brother in law owns a zodiac mk3 that needs a seam re-glued that would fall in your budget.
You are correct - my original post indicated that i wanted something better than a Saturn but less than the Stryker - 3k is the approximate half way mark. As it relates to the project Zodiac - not interested in another project. - But i might be interested in a NOS Zodiac if it hasn't been used.
Old 20 December 2018, 19:35   #22

Town: Pembrokeshire
Make: Avon EA16
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Mariner
I love my old Avon sib, it's 16 foot which I believe is about 4.9 meters.

However, there's no way I'd consider using it without the trailer it sits on. There's no winch on my trailer and I can only drag the boat about 2 or 3 feet up the trailer by hand after it exits the water.

I'm a bit of a lump at 6ft3 and 19 stone and I can just about lift and move the 2-stroke 40hp on my own but it's not easy.

All in with the sib, fuel, basic equipment and motor I think it's probably knocking on the door of 400kg. I'm not so sure a more modern sib would be that much lighter.

I think I'd consider a trailer and only deflate and fold it away over the winter.
Old 21 December 2018, 02:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNHobbs View Post
I love my old Avon sib, it's 16 foot which I believe is about 4.9 meters.

However, there's no way I'd consider using it without the trailer it sits on. There's no winch on my trailer and I can only drag the boat about 2 or 3 feet up the trailer by hand after it exits the water.

I'm a bit of a lump at 6ft3 and 19 stone and I can just about lift and move the 2-stroke 40hp on my own but it's not easy.

All in with the sib, fuel, basic equipment and motor I think it's probably knocking on the door of 400kg. I'm not so sure a more modern sib would be that much lighter.

I think I'd consider a trailer and only deflate and fold it away over the winter.
Thanks all for the concern on my ability to manage whatever sib i go with - My questions are not related to logistics, storage, moving, manpower to operate, length, seaworthiness, hp of motor, use of vessel, sea conditions, or anything other than what i asked. This is a forum, a well respected one at that - Is it not possible that i can get answers without me justifying my question? Example - Prada sells $3000.00 purses.. I have never met this type of situation before - Please - focus on the very basics. 1). SIB (ONLY), this is not a debate.. - 2). 15' is the minimum length. (Once again - not a debate) 3). something that is not a project, i want turnkey ready. 4.) Budget 2-4k USD all-in to my front door. I have looked at many of the nos Zodiacs for sale and have not seen any that fit the budget and are ready to roll for the price - Looking for suggestions and help on finding what i am searching for - I am not looking for an option other than manufacturer, or a better price on a existing boat. - Thank you - many here have already given excellent information for me to research - and i thank everyone that is participating in this - But i had no idea that such a public forum with tons of knowledge could not understand that i have "my" own opinion on what i want to spend my money on... Much appreciation to the community here - thanks again for the "assistance"..
Old 21 December 2018, 03:23   #24

Town: Phoenix
Make: Achilles SGX-132
Engine: Yamaha 25EFI
Look on Defender.com at the Defender and Bombard lines. Currently on sale, and I believe they have models that meet your criteria. Bombard are known to be good quality boats. Defender should be based on their specifications.
Old 21 December 2018, 03:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Look on Defender.com at the Defender and Bombard lines. Currently on sale, and I believe they have models that meet your criteria. Bombard are known to be good quality boats. Defender should be based on their specifications.
Great suggestion - I am on it - Thank you for the heads up..
Old 21 December 2018, 09:09   #26

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Is it not possible that i can get answers without me justifying my question?

Because you have avoided giving info that would help folks advise the best SIB within your budget. I could advise a very different SIB for a few days out a year on inland waters with the family for a picnic... compared with use at sea in difficult conditions or extended hunting trips with loads of people/kit.

But if your budget is now $4k US and with no usage info so to be on safe side assume heavy use then the two year old Bombard on Defender.com would probably be the best large SIB for the money... https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...290&id=3131139

>>> had no idea that such a public forum with tons of knowledge could not understand that i have "my" own opinion on what i want to spend my money on

Well if you absolutely know what you want and are not willing to engage in friendly chat to help folks assist then why ask for advice? It's quite genteel in the SIB forum... if you'd been asking about RIBS however....
Old 21 December 2018, 09:44   #27
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgamo View Post
i had no idea that such a public forum with tons of knowledge could not understand that i have "my" own opinion on what i want to spend my money on
It's that very knowledge that is leading people to question whether what you have decided on will actually meet your needs. There are good reasons that plus sized inflatables are not very common or popular.

No one here's trying to stop you buying what you want, but on the flip side it would be shame if you came back here in a few months saying "Wow, that big old inflatable is a disaster. Why didn't anyone tell me that it performed so badly compared to a hard hull, is a pain to put together and take apart, needs four people to launch and recover, weighs a ton and takes way more storage space than I realised?"

You obviously got that all covered though, which is cool. That Bombard looks like a good deal, be sure to send us pics of it in action
Old 21 December 2018, 10:14   #28

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i can vouch for this brand having used a 5 m model not sure if they ship to your residence wherever that is but worth a look

EXCEL VANGUARD XHD705 Inflatable Boat.
Old 21 December 2018, 11:35   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
i can vouch for this brand having used a 5 m model not sure if they ship to your residence wherever that is but worth a look

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I appreciate them.
Old 21 December 2018, 12:27   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Thanks for the Bombard suggestion, that is quite an interesting design with the aluminum stringer. Does that rigid "keel" actually give much performance advantage over a inflatable keel? Is there something that combines both the rigid keel and inflatable keel together? Although it appears to be a "neat" feature - how will it handle heavy seas compared to a air keel only?
Old 21 December 2018, 15:21   #31

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks for the Bombard suggestion, that is quite an interesting design with the aluminum stringer. Does that rigid "keel" actually give much performance advantage over a inflatable keel? Is there something that combines both the rigid keel and inflatable keel together? Although it appears to be a "neat" feature - how will it handle heavy seas compared to a air keel only?
I don't think there's much difference if a keel is blown up properly the hull skin is tourt it's the same on both, the good thing about the wood keel is no punctures, fit and forget until the boats stripped down end of season for a clean out sand & debris
Old 21 December 2018, 15:46   #32

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
That makes sense Jeff.

Never assembled a rigid keel but gut feel tells me it may be more of a pig to get the stringers in. Often not that easy even with a sausage keel, but at least it’s not inflated and tensioning the floor while battling with those pesky stringers. Ouch!

Obviously not such a problem if keeping inflated per season.

Liking your link re. 7m Excel Vanguard. What a brute.

Must be a market there for those offering clandestine channel crossings for paying guests!
Old 21 December 2018, 16:28   #33

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
That makes sense Jeff.

Never assembled a rigid keel but gut feel tells me it may be more of a pig to get the stringers in. Often not that easy even with a sausage keel, but at least it’s not inflated and tensioning the floor while battling with those pesky stringers. Ouch!

Obviously not such a problem if keeping inflated per season.

Liking your link re. 7m Excel Vanguard. What a brute.

Must be a market there for those offering clandestine channel crossings for paying guests!
there's a vid on youtube fitting the keel on a c3 or 4 doesn't seem to be that bad i do like the idea of it though.
yes nice big boat that, i will reserve my comment on the channel crossers but the vanguard would be a lot safer that some they are using
Old 21 December 2018, 17:06   #34

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>don't think there's much difference if a keel is blown up properly the hull skin is tourt it's the same on both, the good thing about the wood keel is no punctures, fit and forget until the boats stripped down end of season for a clean out sand & debris

If I was keeping a larger SIB on a trailer I'd prefer the wooden keel... its downside is the faff of assembly on a daily setup craft. But if that's not an issue and you look at the underside of a fully inflated Bombard with the wooden keel... as its contact point with the hull fabric is narrower and more rigid it tightens the underside into a lovely sharp V (for a SIB).

I could imagine it would negate some of the floppy banana effect too.
Old 21 December 2018, 22:41   #35

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Quote:
You are correct - my original post indicated that i wanted something better than a Saturn but less than the Stryker - 3k is the approximate half way mark. As it relates to the project Zodiac - not interested in another project. - But i might be interested in a NOS Zodiac if it hasn't been used.
I found my Zodiac Futura mk2 for $3800. It was new dealer floor model that was 5 yrs old but unused. Just inflated in a showroom. Full warranty. I just happened to ask and they thought about it and decided to let it go.
Pure luck!
Old 22 December 2018, 02:28   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
I found my Zodiac Futura mk2 for $3800. It was new dealer floor model that was 5 yrs old but unused. Just inflated in a showroom. Full warranty. I just happened to ask and they thought about it and decided to let it go.
Pure luck!

Well - if anymore "Pure luck" is out there - the info is well appreciated - Once again - thanks all for the information - it is greatly appreciated.
Old 22 December 2018, 19:48   #37

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
That Bombard Commando C5 from Defender is a good price and great quality.

The rigid keel is great. One of the main causes of poor SIB performance is an under inflated keel. By having a rigid keel, it eliminates that problem.

The only complaint is it squeaks a bit if you have a quiet outboard.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 21:13   #38

Quote:
I don't think there's much difference if a keel is blown up properly the hull skin is tourt it's the same on both, the good thing about the wood keel is no punctures, fit and forget until the boats stripped down end of season for a clean out sand & debris
How can a rigid keel prevent a fabric puncture? As i understood the design - the fabric is only to add a rigid member under the fabric in place of the inflatable keel.
Old 22 December 2018, 21:16   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
That Bombard Commando C5 from Defender is a good price and great quality.

The rigid keel is great. One of the main causes of poor SIB performance is an under inflated keel. By having a rigid keel, it eliminates that problem.

The only complaint is it squeaks a bit if you have a quiet outboard.
They do indeed seem to be reasonably priced - and a few good deals to be had. Are there any performance testing data sets available as it may relate to the different inflatable keels and the rigid keel designs?
Old 22 December 2018, 21:19   #40

Quote:

Nice suggestion, not bad on the prices - Im wondering if the company ever runs specials or sales on their inflatables.

Tags
sib