Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgamo View Post
How can a rigid keel prevent a fabric puncture? As i understood the design - the fabric is only to add a rigid member under the fabric in place of the inflatable keel.
Wood doesn't get punctures inflatable ones do hull fabric puncture is no big deal.
Old 22 December 2018, 21:41   #42

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgamo View Post
Nice suggestion, not bad on the prices - Im wondering if the company ever runs specials or sales on their inflatables.
Pick up the phone nice to talk
Old 22 December 2018, 21:43   #43

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
That Bombard Commando C5 from Defender is a good price and great quality.

The rigid keel is great. One of the main causes of poor SIB performance is an under inflated keel. By having a rigid keel, it eliminates that problem.

The only complaint is it squeaks a bit if you have a quiet outboard.
Bees wax will stop the squeaks
Old 22 December 2018, 21:57   #44

Town: Every Where
Boat name: Milenium Buzzard
Make: Proline
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Bees wax will stop the squeaks

The latest versions that i have seen - have aluminum stringers in place of the wood. I'm guessing a upgrade was due to premature wood rot where there was seepage?
Old 23 December 2018, 00:22   #45

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
GTgamo,
The guys here are trying to help you get a boat you will be happy with. If you weren't resisting giving more info about- use, location & water conditions. You might have gotten more help you might not know you need. You see I know of 2 "two" boats that would work for you but you need to live in the right part of the country to see them. Also they are used, and honestly I didn't want to get scolded for not staying with your strict criteria. That said, I saw 2- 15'+ used inflatable sibs with motors and all the crap that used boats come with in San Diego craigslist. And they are roughly within your price for your boat alone. A great starter or perhaps just a "test" boat ride to see if it will work for you! To get an idea of what HP you will be happy with. Because buying the wrong HP motor sucks far more than getting replies that are somewhat off topic. And once you find that perfect boat the perfect motor hp will probably be next question you will have to decide.
Old 23 December 2018, 20:16   #46

HP - is never an issue, which is why i didn't ask about motors. Get the largest motor for the rating of the vessel - problem solved - at least that's my philosophy as it relates to outboards and power.
Old 23 December 2018, 22:03   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
GTgamo,
The guys here are trying to help you get a boat you will be happy with.

I didn't want to get scolded for not staying with your strict criteria.
We defo need a like button on this forum.
Old 24 December 2018, 08:44   #48

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks BP but all I do in common with many is to try and help folks with what I know or have experienced... as have others on here. Many times a SIB newbie has come on to say they are looking at this or that type and a few friendly answers from them to a few friendly questions has pointed them in a different direction.. or at least alerted them to the fact a SIB might not do all they expected.

Quite a few over the years have been taken aback at what they perceive as the poor handling/performance of a SIB for their use and quickly upgraded to a RIB or other hard boat. A more robust initial discussion may have prevented this waste of time and cash.

Sadly GTgamo has come across as "difficult" which hasn't got him the best from this forum.

For example constantly ignoring requests for his proposed operating area and type of use for this SIB comes across as unfriendly and makes it hard to give proper advice on the most suitable of types he may consider. All you can deduce from his bio is that he lives everywhere and is a Director of Awesome.

As I've said earlier he could be going on long camping/hunting trips with 5 mates and expecting to carry a moose back in the boat... or he could just be going out a few hours at a time in sunny flat calm with the wife/assistant director of awesome. Very different SIBs might suit these differing uses.

And the outboard attitude demonstrates just this. Depending on use the biggest outboard the SIB is rated for may give an overall poor experience. For example that Saturn is rated to 50hp which may tie a long budget SIB in knots and be so heavy to handle it negates much of the portability of a SIB.

But hey ho... whatever he wants....
Old 24 December 2018, 09:22   #49

RIBase
Not wishing to pee off anyone he did state he had fished fibreglass boats so the weight issue wouldn't be a big one he also stated 5m ish upward and what other makes there are, bit difficult for us in the UK to know the availability of makes we know and like over in the USA but that is easy for him to find out. Just saying
Old 24 December 2018, 10:09   #50

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Jeff you'll not pee anyone off because the established forum members actually aren't trying to take sides... more a bit puzzled... well I am. And of course you have more commercial experience of larger SIBs than many on here.

Your comment about a hard boat sort of adds to the point I'm making. We don't know but it seems GTgamo might already have a 20+ft cabin fast fisher?? His SIB choice may be quite different if he was looking to replace that hard boat with a SIB for storage or other reasons but still use for broadly the same purpose... or if on the other hand he wanted a SIB in addition to the hard boat to get to small coves/beaches where he could pull out for a BBQ.

He comments a SIB advantage is being able to pack it in a box to transport. You know well you'd need a very specific use to want to unpack, set up and launch an 18ft long 300lb SIB with a 50hp outboard on a daily basis.
Old 24 December 2018, 14:01   #51

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Jeff you'll not pee anyone off because the established forum members actually aren't trying to take sides... more a bit puzzled... well I am. And of course you have more commercial experience of larger SIBs than many on here.

Your comment about a hard boat sort of adds to the point I'm making. We don't know but it seems GTgamo might already have a 20+ft cabin fast fisher?? His SIB choice may be quite different if he was looking to replace that hard boat with a SIB for storage or other reasons but still use for broadly the same purpose... or if on the other hand he wanted a SIB in addition to the hard boat to get to small coves/beaches where he could pull out for a BBQ.

He comments a SIB advantage is being able to pack it in a box to transport. You know well you'd need a very specific use to want to unpack, set up and launch an 18ft long 300lb SIB with a 50hp outboard on a daily basis.
Yes take your point David as you know my boat only weighs 200lb ish and it's on a trailer no way would I be tugging that around but I knew that when I bought it from expearence, not all SIBS are portable by along chalk but for long term storage being able to stick a 15 ft boat in a corner has some benifit.Any ways hopefully the guy can get enough from this to get the boat to suit his needs.

Cheers
Old 24 December 2018, 16:50   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
GTgamo

I am afraid you are now in dispute of some of the biggest wind up merchants on this forum...…. Also Ribcraft is a specific brand of Rib in the UK not a generic name for a craft that is a Rib. All you need now is for Pikey Dave to wade in giving it all a load of Yorkshire twaddle and good by to your thread.

My advice is simply ignor them...… Do the same to this post if you so wish

Do listen to Fenlander however he gives some of the best advice on here
Thanks for the advice. Honestly I wasn't trying to "P" anyone off. I came for help and advice. I got flustered as it seemed a few were intentionally trying to get a reaction - which obviously happened.
Old 24 December 2018, 17:01   #53

Also I would like to mention that Defender had a few nos boats on sale that would have suited my needs just fine, but as of this morning the sale is over and the particular boat that I was looking for is not there anymore. As it relates to my boat I have currently - it is a 36' sport fisher on a triple axle.
Old 09 July 2020, 02:24   #54

Town: Oregon
Boat name: Charon
Make: Zodiac FC470
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 55MFE
I use SIBs for very specific reasons (expedition ops), and a MK V or similar is what we use. If a big SIB is what you want, it's what you want. Getting the motor to match the boat is not that challenging. BUT, it's by no means a simple stow-and-go boat, unless you like putting them together.

I don't think the less expensive options you mentioned are hypalon, so that's a consideration. At least in the environment I work in. I run those hard, full of people, up on beaches, rocks, ice... I want a sturdy fabric.

I just picked up an Achilles SU-18 (used) for $1500. 18 ft. Aluminum floors, hypalon, aluminum-clad transom, 5 chambers. Great shape and it will do what I want it to. I take people out to photograph wildlife, explore challenging environments and get close to nature. The size is a benefit, in that it allows for spreading out, comfort and stability. Downside is weight, transport (trailer), larger engine reqs, and slip fees. But it's what I use and what I need. I wouldn't wast money on a PVC of that size. Picking up a used hypalon with broad support/parts is likely a better solution. Maybe I'm unique (I doubt it) in that I enjoy fixing things, and have the skills to do it on a hypalon- I wouldn't try to fix a thermowelded SIB, and PVC isn't as great to patch. Check out Craiglist in cities near naval/marine facilities. You could pick up one cheap and get it back to spec in no time.
Old 09 March 2023, 13:29   #55

Town: GULF BREEZE
Length: no boat
Are you sure you want a SIB that long? What about a pontoon boat?
Old 10 March 2023, 09:47   #56

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer80 View Post
Are you sure you want a SIB that long? What about a pontoon boat?
OP's last activity here was January 2019, so hopefully they've got what they wanted.

Tags
sib