Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgamo View Post
Thanks for the Bombard suggestion, that is quite an interesting design with the aluminum stringer. Does that rigid "keel" actually give much performance advantage over a inflatable keel? Is there something that combines both the rigid keel and inflatable keel together? Although it appears to be a "neat" feature - how will it handle heavy seas compared to a air keel only?
I don't think there's much difference if a keel is blown up properly the hull skin is tourt it's the same on both, the good thing about the wood keel is no punctures, fit and forget until the boats stripped down end of season for a clean out sand & debris

Old 21 December 2018, 10:46   #32

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner60/3.5 Hon2.3
MMSI: 239711398
That makes sense Jeff.

Never assembled a rigid keel but gut feel tells me it may be more of a pig to get the stringers in. Often not that easy even with a sausage keel, but at least itís not inflated and tensioning the floor while battling with those pesky stringers. Ouch!

Obviously not such a problem if keeping inflated per season.

Liking your link re. 7m Excel Vanguard. What a brute.

Must be a market there for those offering clandestine channel crossings for paying guests!

Old 21 December 2018, 11:28   #33

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
That makes sense Jeff.

Never assembled a rigid keel but gut feel tells me it may be more of a pig to get the stringers in. Often not that easy even with a sausage keel, but at least itís not inflated and tensioning the floor while battling with those pesky stringers. Ouch!

Obviously not such a problem if keeping inflated per season.

Liking your link re. 7m Excel Vanguard. What a brute.

Must be a market there for those offering clandestine channel crossings for paying guests!
there's a vid on youtube fitting the keel on a c3 or 4 doesn't seem to be that bad i do like the idea of it though.
yes nice big boat that, i will reserve my comment on the channel crossers but the vanguard would be a lot safer that some they are using
Old 21 December 2018, 12:06   #34

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
>>>don't think there's much difference if a keel is blown up properly the hull skin is tourt it's the same on both, the good thing about the wood keel is no punctures, fit and forget until the boats stripped down end of season for a clean out sand & debris

If I was keeping a larger SIB on a trailer I'd prefer the wooden keel... its downside is the faff of assembly on a daily setup craft. But if that's not an issue and you look at the underside of a fully inflated Bombard with the wooden keel... as its contact point with the hull fabric is narrower and more rigid it tightens the underside into a lovely sharp V (for a SIB).

I could imagine it would negate some of the floppy banana effect too.
Old 21 December 2018, 17:41   #35

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgamo View Post
You are correct - my original post indicated that i wanted something better than a Saturn but less than the Stryker - 3k is the approximate half way mark. As it relates to the project Zodiac - not interested in another project. - But i might be interested in a NOS Zodiac if it hasn't been used.
I found my Zodiac Futura mk2 for $3800. It was new dealer floor model that was 5 yrs old but unused. Just inflated in a showroom. Full warranty. I just happened to ask and they thought about it and decided to let it go.
Pure luck!
Old 21 December 2018, 21:28   #36

Town: Every Where
Boat name: Milenium Buzzard
Make: Proline
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
I found my Zodiac Futura mk2 for $3800. It was new dealer floor model that was 5 yrs old but unused. Just inflated in a showroom. Full warranty. I just happened to ask and they thought about it and decided to let it go.
Pure luck!

Well - if anymore "Pure luck" is out there - the info is well appreciated - Once again - thanks all for the information - it is greatly appreciated.
Old 22 December 2018, 14:48   #37

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
That Bombard Commando C5 from Defender is a good price and great quality.

The rigid keel is great. One of the main causes of poor SIB performance is an under inflated keel. By having a rigid keel, it eliminates that problem.

The only complaint is it squeaks a bit if you have a quiet outboard.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 16:13   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I don't think there's much difference if a keel is blown up properly the hull skin is tourt it's the same on both, the good thing about the wood keel is no punctures, fit and forget until the boats stripped down end of season for a clean out sand & debris
How can a rigid keel prevent a fabric puncture? As i understood the design - the fabric is only to add a rigid member under the fabric in place of the inflatable keel.
Old 22 December 2018, 16:16   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
That Bombard Commando C5 from Defender is a good price and great quality.

The rigid keel is great. One of the main causes of poor SIB performance is an under inflated keel. By having a rigid keel, it eliminates that problem.

The only complaint is it squeaks a bit if you have a quiet outboard.
They do indeed seem to be reasonably priced - and a few good deals to be had. Are there any performance testing data sets available as it may relate to the different inflatable keels and the rigid keel designs?
Old 22 December 2018, 16:19   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
i can vouch for this brand having used a 5 m model not sure if they ship to your residence wherever that is but worth a look

EXCEL VANGUARD XHD705 Inflatable Boat.
Nice suggestion, not bad on the prices - Im wondering if the company ever runs specials or sales on their inflatables.

Tags
sib