Old 17 July 2012, 18:59   #21

Town: Seattle
Boat name: M/V BILL MURRAY
Make: Achilles SPD-4AD
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9hp Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
OP - my 9.8hp 2S runs Wide Open Throttle at about 4.5L/hour (1.2USG) and a 25Nm day out for me comes in at 2.5USG. However, that is one up with no camping gear. The big issue as I see it is will your rig get on the plane with all that load in it. If you don't, then you're in bother, if it does you're still going to be running at high revs all day. Either way, your fuel consumption is going to be higher than mine. However, IIWY, I'd look hard at the load and space on that SIB and maybe try it out somewhere when the outcome isn't important (so no pressure to continue). A small boat like that won't handle much by way of waves when loaded and you may find that you feel happier sitting in the boat, rather than on the tubes. I appreciate that mine is a little smaller, but I'm just saying...
Willk, that's a great thread. You should sticky it. It's helpful advice with good input; the best kind of thing for forums like this to espouse IMO.

Re: fuel consumption - that's good to know. Had planned to sit on a small cooler for motoring around but had planned to sit on the floor for the trip over. Pictured below is an anti-fatigue dishwashers floor mat I picked up at Home Depot for like $20. Padded, anti-slip - fits the bill.

Will a hydrofoil attachment help with the planing under load? I have a Whale Tail XL, but have been on the fence about mounting it.

As far as camping gear, we're both bringing our bicycle camping loads. My camping load is about 10~15lbs including food, and his is similar. I weigh about 230, buddy weighs about 165 wet.

Untitled by tehschkott, on Flickr

Quote:
Preparations underway for this weekends trip. Last night I finished gluing the D-Rings inside and out, mounted transom tank and launch wheels. Tried to fit the replacement floor I made but it turned out to be a little bit too long and I almost wasn't able to get it out again.

Tonight I will trim down the floor and add some webbing to ease disassembly, reinforce or rebuild the foredeck and hit it all with a coat or two of polyurethane. No that's not where the anchor will live full-time.
I'll probably going to bring the reserve tank but will leave it on shore at the campsite. I'm sure you're right but will play it safe until I'm more familiar with what to expect.

I have a battery case (Mophie) for the iphone that gives me about 2 days of constant use with Pandora and GPS when bike touring. Phone is in a Dry Case and mounted to my arm. I also have a spare battery case and a solar charger for it. Phone life is territory I'm long familiar with .

Thanks one and all for your ongoing input. This is a very interesting topic I take pretty seriously.
Old 17 July 2012, 19:11   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
A hydrofoil (aka doel fin) will help planing but will nip a bit off your top end. I'd try without it under load and see if you need it. They're no benefit otherwise.
Old 22 July 2012, 09:58   #23

Town: te awamutu
Boat name: na
Make: aqua marina
Length: under 3m
Engine: electric
Geez! I've got a 10'r and cant see how I would get half that into my beast. The mechanical bilge pump, I throw out. Have a plastic bottle with the end cut out. It'l serve as a bailer, as something to pee into and add no weight.

I read somewhere that the best bilge pump is a desperate man with a bucket.
Old 23 July 2012, 01:59   #24

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by awa154 View Post
Geez! I've got a 10'r and cant see how I would get half that into my beast. The mechanical bilge pump, I throw out. Have a plastic bottle with the end cut out. It'l serve as a bailer, as something to pee into and add no weight.

I read somewhere that the best bilge pump is a desperate man with a bucket.
A transom mounted, manual blilge pump is a worthwhile thing to have, especially if it is located so that you can work the pump handle with one hand while operating the tiller with the other.

The bilge pump could be mounted on a quick release bracket so that it can be taken off the transom when disassembling the SIB.
Old 23 July 2012, 04:40   #25

Town: te awamutu
Boat name: na
Make: aqua marina
Length: under 3m
Engine: electric
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
A transom mounted, manual blilge pump is a worthwhile thing to have, especially if it is located so that you can work the pump handle with one hand while operating the tiller with the other.

The bilge pump could be mounted on a quick release bracket so that it can be taken off the transom when disassembling the SIB.

My quip about the manual bilge pump was 'tongue in cheek' comment. I'd still have the plastic bottle/bailer. Especially as you get older and the bladder gets weaker.
Old 26 July 2012, 02:52   #26
MEE

Town: Jacksonville, Florida
Boat name: Blue Bomber
Make: Bombard
Engine: Outboard Nissan 8hp
PFD with whistle. Sun screen bug spray a Couple of 32 oz nalgene bottles with water filter (these are also good for emptying bladder) . a good knife on a lanyard or pfd mounted . Handheld vhf. Spare spark plugs and wrench. A can of starter fluid. Oars. Thowable floatation cousion ..... And are you running out of room yet
Old 26 July 2012, 07:11   #27

Town: Seattle
Boat name: M/V BILL MURRAY
Make: Achilles SPD-4AD
Engine: 9.9hp Evinrude
This is what I ended up with.

Small tool bag

Crescent wrench
Mallet
Needle Nose Pliers
Screwdrivers
Lockgrips
Small socket set
Sparkplug Wrench
Spare spark plugs
Spare pull rope
2x Clam Seal
2 cycle oil & mixer/measuring container
1 gal plastic bags
Zip Ties
Spare fuel line with bulb and fittings
1/2 inch hose for syphoning

Personal
PFD
Whistle (on lanyard)
MultiTool (on lanyard)
Hand Compass w/ signal mirror (on lanyard)
Tactical Flashlight (on lanyard)
Head Lamp
VHF Radio & spare battery (on lanyard)

Boat Bag
First Aid Kit
Foot Pump
Canned air horn
Hypalon Repair Kit
Floating Throw Cushion
1 gal bucket for bailing/peeing
Drinking Water
Laminated NOAA map of Puget Sound

IMG_3141 by tehschkott, on Flickr

IMG_0093 by tehschkott, on Flickr
Old 26 July 2012, 17:06   #28
MEE

With a 1 gallon bucket you can drink all the water you want and stay out for days...
Have fun and watch out for those gophers.
Old 26 July 2012, 22:52   #29

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by awa154 View Post
I'd still have the plastic bottle/bailer. Especially as you get older and the bladder gets weaker.
Why? What's wrong with over the side?

jky
Old 27 July 2012, 12:11   #30
MEE

Image of Austin Powers in the fountain scene come to mind.
Old 27 July 2012, 19:10   #31

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Bucket an chuck it ,,,,,,as long as the winds in the right direction
Old 29 July 2012, 09:28   #32
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
You might make something like this. I made it for my 3.3 metre Inflatable and it does the job and simply detaches from all electrical and removed from boat for storage, charging, etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batterypack 1 july 2012.jpg
Views:	2321
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	70665