Old 20 April 2014, 07:11   #1

Town: shrewsbury
Make: Honwave 3.2
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 2t 15hp
Outboard help in Dorset

Hi, my plans forecaster on the Medway were aborted due to engine failure of my yamaha 15 hp two stroke. Took it on weaver to test last week and ran fine for an hour maybe two, though at low speeds due to 8knot limit.

Started and stopped from cold and warm several times no problem. As I was packing infor day it cut out. Started first pull, then cut outa minute later. Thes happened about three times getting increasingly hard to restart till I gave up.

Got home, cleaned wet oily ish plugs, fired up no problem in bin. Tested several times, fine. Changed plugs for new, sprayed carb cleaner, checked fuel filter, pumping petrol through bulb, etc. all ok. Got on holiday, starred fine, idled five minutes great. Pulled out in river, cut out after 30 secs, and hard to start again. Did this three times before giving up. Plugs a bit wet but they would be.

Booked in swanage for a week and desperate not to waste holiday. Any advice welcome, either direct or referrals to mechanics in area.

Apologies for cross posting in main forum but need help fast!

Cheers
N
Old 20 April 2014, 08:15   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Loads around Poole harbour. Try Salterns Boatyard (main Yamaha dealer) Yellow Penguin at Parkstone Bay Marina, Triton Marine at Cobbs quay Hamworthy. I'm sure Luke will chip in with people in Swanage shortly. No reason to be boatless, but they are v busy so might be best to ring and find out if they can help.
Old 20 April 2014, 08:57   #3

First thing Tuesday

Cheers oscar, will get onto the yards you recommend when they open first thing Tuesday. In meantime I'll have a go at checking sparks etc. anyone with further advice most welcome.
N
Old 20 April 2014, 08:57   #4

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Few thoughts.
Blocked pick-up in tank? Damaged pick-up tube in fuel tank? Blocked air vent in tank? Internal problem with fuel piping? Blockage in carb(s)?
Some years ago I over-oiled a small tank of pre-mix for my 4hp back-up & it wouldn't run at all.
That it will tick-over fine but dies on wider throttle openings does make me think of a fuel delivery problem. Whilst pumping with the bulb seems OK is the engine struggling to pump fuel?
Wonder if it might be worth removing the end of the pipe & putting it directly into the fuel tank - something I do to run the main engine up at home using a 5 litre tank, easier than lugging the 25 litre tanks around.
Old 20 April 2014, 09:17   #5

Hi, I did wonder about fuelling so tried changing 50 to 1 to 80 to 1 given the various messages about 100/50 etc.
I had stripped and cleaned carb thoroughly before season and it worked on weaver for long time at low speed. So I tried one stage hotter plugs to see if that would burn off excess at lower revs. It didn't help.
I checked filler cap vent and ran it with cap off a while. No better.
When it stalled I squeezed bulb, nice and firm seemed ok.
Took off cowl and fuel filter was full.

Happy to try all these measures again, but will need boat back in water at poole harbour,so will be paying for launch of defunct boat if unlucky!
Not sure of wifi connection at swanage digs, but will try to respond ASAP to all suggestions. Off there now!
N
Old 20 April 2014, 09:22   #6

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Probably best to leave until Tuesday.

ETA Although on reflection I'd suggest stripping, checking & cleaning the carb again. Just because you did it at the start of the season doesn't mean that a piece of crap hasn't blocked the main jet.
Old 23 April 2014, 07:54   #7

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Engine: 90hp Mariner
You can always try the quick fix of as much revs & full throttle & a clean rag over the carb inlet, that often sucks crap out of the carbs pretty quick.
Old 23 April 2014, 09:17   #8

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
You say plugs are wet? This makes me think it could be on the ignition side -
Faulty plug cap/leads - breaking down when hot
Faulty or badly earthed coil/s
Poor earths - just because a bolt is tight holding an earth connection doesn't mean you have a good earth, undue clean faces and refit.
Faulty CDI pack.

Hope it helps
Old 30 April 2014, 20:25   #9

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Hi just a little tip have you tried the primer bulb,had this problem myself