Hi guys, first post here so go easy on me please
Bit about myself - i've always had a love of boats, and just recently have managed to get a Honwave 2.7 VIB, mainly for some fun on the river at the end of the road i live on. Although i've always had a keen interest, and spent a lot of time enjoying the Broads on hired boats, and enjoying the local rivers and lakes in my Canoe, i've never had the oppurtunity to acquire a powered vessel, so i'm making my first foray into this area and have some questions if any one would be kind enough to chip in their experience.
I have the Honwave, but i obviously need an outboard to power it. I have two choices in front of me at present. The first is a low hour (ten) 2008 Tohatsu 4hp four stroke from a local marine specialist priced at 350 pounds, fully serviced and ready to go, the second choice is a fairly old but visually good 4hp 2 stroke Evinrude, from a guy who i work with's father, who will make sure it's fully serviced and good to go for 150 pounds.
My questions are,
1. The Evinrude has a neutral/forward gearbox only with a spin round arrangement for reverse, as opposed to the Tohatsu's forward/neutral/reverse arrangement. In practise, how much of a pain is having no reverse and having to spin the engine?
2. The Tohatsu has a tiller throttle against the Evinrudes throttle control being on the engine housing, how much better is the tiller throttle in real use. Is it a bugger having to adjust the way the Evinrudes set up?
3. In terms of maintainence, are spares readily available for the Evinrude? Although in lovely condition it looks to be 20 or so years old at a guess, maybe older.
4. How much of a difference will a 4hp 2 stroke make in performance against the heavier fourstroke? For a first time Sibber will i really care? I'm not planning on going out that often anywhere the engines full potential will be useable anywhere as said, just mainly rivers locally.
5. Will the Tohatsu need any more maintainence against the two stroke?
Sorry for all the questions, i haven't actually got any previous experience with engines, so am just looking for some advice from you guys who have already been there! It's a matter of cost obviously, but is it worth the extra money invested for a novice part timer! Many thanks for any advice in advance.
Apologies and please move mods if this should be in the engines section.