Old 14 May 2012, 22:26   #1

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: pain
Make: c craft
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner, seagull, to
Out on the Severn

HI everyone, was out on the Severn last Saturday between The Boat at Ashleworth and the Coal house pub and was struggling to get anywhere against the flow of water going upstream unless I was on the plane with about 70 % throttle, is this state of water flowing down here normal or is it due to all the rain and flooding we have had lately as the river was quite a few feet higher than normal?
Old 16 May 2012, 16:00   #2

photo's of day

a couple of photo's of the Severn
one a Wainlode with the Red Lion pub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	68257   Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	68258  
Old 27 May 2012, 03:22   #3

Town: South West
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu, 20
What size boat and engine do you have? I have yet to go through the lock at Tewkesbury towards Gloucester but from my experience on the Severn so far (which isn't much) it sounds like you must have gone out on a spring tide just after the last load of heavy rain.

I went out this Friday expecting the river level at upton to still be a bit high and struggled to launch the boat... I was up to my chest in water pushing the trailer out in the marina. Didn't think I would need my waders this time!

Excellent day though, locked through to the Avon and turned around at Nafford lock. Nice river the Avon, the speed limit is a bit painful, was going a little too fast on the restart setting. But that type of boating is very relaxing and also cheap
Old 27 May 2012, 18:52   #4

Hi MattD I have a Quicksilver 340 airdeck with a selection of outboards, Mariner 15 2 stroke, tohatsu 3.5 and several seagull's, out that day I was using the Mariner 15 for more grunt, I also got my hands on an Avon 380 FRB the other week and will be using that on the coast.

I have not been through any of the locks yet, Upper Lode lock is big, i'm a chicken and have not had chance yet, will give it a go later in the year, the speed limit is a pain but if it's a nice day plodding along has it's advantages.

Looks to be a good year for the weather with a bit of luck, let me know if you are planning any trips out, I'm thinking of trying to do the Sharpness Canal this year if Iget time.
Old 27 May 2012, 20:11   #5

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD View Post
What size boat and engine do you have? I have yet to go through the lock at Tewkesbury towards Gloucester but from my experience on the Severn so far (which isn't much) it sounds like you must have gone out on a spring tide just after the last load of heavy rain.

I went out this Friday expecting the river level at upton to still be a bit high and struggled to launch the boat... I was up to my chest in water pushing the trailer out in the marina. Didn't think I would need my waders this time!

Excellent day though, locked through to the Avon and turned around at Nafford lock. Nice river the Avon, the speed limit is a bit painful, was going a little too fast on the restart setting. But that type of boating is very relaxing and also cheap
i had a look at upton yesterday,looks an ace marina ..... wondering which is the best direction to go and have you your licence ?
Old 27 May 2012, 20:32   #6

If you head right towards Worcester it's probably a couple of hours before the next lock, and a nice trip. If you head left towards Tewkesbury it takes 45 mins to an hour then there are locks to the Avon and further down the severn. No pubs or anything between Tewkesbury and Worcester other than at Upton.

If you want to lock through to the Avon you can get a 24 license at the lock for 3 quid if your under 4.75 metres (although I had to argue the point a bit when he said it was 10 quid even though I was pointing at the price on his chart).

I have one of those 30 day explorer licences for the severn and canals, seems much cheaper doing it that way and it covers you for the year unless you use all your tickets. Not once have I seen a patrol boat however.
Old 27 May 2012, 20:41   #7

Hi stubber, will give you a shout if I plan a trip. I must admit the locks on there are a bit huge and off putting. The Avon one was fine and the manual ones further up are kind of fun having a go at (apart from having to buy a windlass).

I shall brave the severn locks soon though, now I have tied some smaller ones