Old 23 June 2013, 11:23   #31

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Lots of people on here saying they'd keep them on board. This is bad advice! I used to work for Viking lifesaving equipment - one of the worlds largest manufacturers and distributors of marine safety equipment. My advice, having seen out of dates flares let off for test purposes, would be to either dispose of them at a suitable facility, or put them in a safe place in your garage or similar and forget about them. In an emergency situation are you/your crew really going to remember to check which ones are out of date? I saw one out of date red hand flare melt through its casing, and give the guy who was holding it a very nasty burn. He was also wearing thick gloves.

Someone else mentioned that that they went on a course where they were using OOD flares. This shouldn't still be happening after the RYA changed its policy following a nasty incident a few years ago. RYA centres can get hold of nearly out of date flares from life-raft service centres, usually free of charge.

Old 23 June 2013, 11:58   #32

Town: GTA
Boat name: Zodiac
Make: Zodiac Futura MkIII
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
My OOD flares onboard expired in May of this year. That was 3 weeks ago. Did they undergo substantial change in that 3 week period? Perhaps I should have tossed them before midnight, May 31.

Old 23 June 2013, 12:00   #33

No, in the same way that a chicken won't suddenly kill you at 10 past midnight on the day it goes OOD. Wait a year and you might not be so lucky!
Old 23 June 2013, 12:45   #34

Length: 3m +
I posted the original thread and the flares are dated 2009. Lol
Old 23 June 2013, 13:05   #35

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Patently, so long as it's sterile, it should last for ever.
How has Poly not been along with a thesis for this one??! Perhaps he's still writing it...?

NRDC: Bottled Water

There is no requirement for bottled water to be sterile.

They will have tested that their bottle seals keep the bottle sealed from additional contamination for the time period they label for and they will have checked for leaching etc as well for that time period. Doesn't mean they fail after that but they will have picked a practical time period from bottling to distribution and tested for that... No point testing for 10 years if 99.9% of your stock would be distributed & sold in 6 months...
Old 23 June 2013, 13:14   #36

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
At best flares are gonna end up in a weighted bag at sea which is apparently illegal, and may well end up with pyros being washed up on the beach...
I did find one washed upon a busy beach last year. It was in a (sealed) plastic bag and three months out of date. I put it in an old ammo box that was in the car and took it to the cop-shop. You would have thought I had offered them a test tube of Anthrax. I thought all Police stations had 'explosives bunkers' (they used to when I was young) but they sent me away with it, advising me that the nearest CG station that could accept it was Tower Bridge(?). How is it in any way sensible to a) give it back to me (making it my problem) and b) suggesting I take it through central London?

How did I get rid of it? With great difficulty...

Earlier this year I had an e-mail from Operation Kraken, disgusted at the number of flares (and the expiry dates thereof) handed it an at RNLI Flare Amnesty at Sovereign Harbour, Eastbourne. It just shows how many of these things are lying around for wont of a reasonable means of disposal.
Old 23 June 2013, 13:15   #37
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
How has Poly not been along with a thesis for this one??! Perhaps he's still writing it...?
That's quite funny - but not for the reasons you think
Old 23 June 2013, 13:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
I didadvising me that the nearest CG station that could accept it was Tower Bridge(?).

How did I get rid of it? With great difficulty...
Well that is a load of rubbish! Partly because there is no CG presence at Tower Bridge and secondly because London Coastguard won't take them anyway!

The easiest way to get rid of them is find a supplier who will - many do this on the basis of one old flare for every new one you purchase. They then get delivered back to the manufacturer and properly disposed of (which normally involves incineration).
Old 23 June 2013, 13:25   #39

Town: GTA
Boat name: Zodiac
Make: Zodiac Futura MkIII
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Tim M and woz72, Full disclosure: I do also have some older ones. :^)

We have a few holidays here that are widely celebrated with fireworks, such as Queen Victoria's birthday (Victoria Day) which signals the unofficial start of summer. How do you Brits like that? :^)
i think I'll wait for the next fireworks celebration and maybe get rid of a couple of older flares.
Old 23 June 2013, 16:18   #40
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
i think I'll wait for the next fireworks celebration and maybe get rid of a couple of older flares.
Yup (and this is not an Official RIBnet Endorsement folks), I have a few TEP about the place that are going to get an airing on 31 October this year. The entire countryside will be alight with completely illegal fireworks (no legal fireworks in Ireland Sud) and I figure they'll not spot a few Reds and Smokes. Taped to a pole I think, for extra safety...

Note to self: Keep cats indoors.