Old 18 August 2019, 16:54   #1

Town: Rijeka
Length: no boat
One more "which SIB" question 😁

Hi guys,

I'm new to boating and currently looking for a boat that will suit me and my girlfriend. I would really appreciate if you more experienced people would help with some advice.

We live in Croatia and want a small sib/rib up to around 4k euros without engine. I don't have high hopes in getting rib for that money, at least not new.
I hope to get something that can be well matched with tiller outboard 20-25hp. I will probably ho with Suzuki DF20 or DF25 if necessary.
I was thinking buying SIB, but boat will be on a trailer so it very well may be a rib also.

I plan to use it all year round for fishing, primarily slow jigging on the drift in 50-80m deep areas. My fishing spots are 5-10 miles out in the bay, sometimes up to 5 miles out on open sea.
During the summer I will trailer it along our coast and use it to visit secluded beaches and island hopping.

I would like a boat that can comfortably plane with 200-220kg of people/gear.

My knowledge on SIB and small RIB brands is weak.
So far I was looking at whaly 435, quicksilver 420 alu rib, honwave t40...
I'm all over the place. This will be our first boat so I have no real clue what would fit us good.
All I kniw is that we want new and are not afraid to spend some extra money on quality. My first instinct was Zodiac Cadet RIB but they charge stupid money for it.

What sib/rib and size would you recommend me to look at?
What do you thin about mercury/quicksilver ribs with tiller? Anything better for me?
Old 18 August 2019, 17:46   #2

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Hi Blackmarlin why not look at the Excel range they are based in Sutton Coldfield Terry is the guy to talk to sometime a bit sharp on the phone but just be firm with him and you should be fine they have sibs and alloy ribs within your budget Address Pole Position London Rd, Bassetts Pole, Sutton Coldfield B75 5SA hope this helps HH
Old 18 August 2019, 18:33   #3

We are in Croatia and we don't have Excel here😁
Old 18 August 2019, 21:22   #4

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
They ship all over the world [emoji3][emoji41] the Honwave T40 is a good SIB but some people say that there is quilty issues at the moment but if new they will replace Jeff Stevens on here has a quick silver and he swears by it from all the trips out it has been spot on there is also Highfield alloy ribs but there is plenty to pick from but really you always change after a while [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41] for something better or bigger
Old 19 August 2019, 11:20   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
welcome BM

[What sib/rib and size would you recommend me to look at?
What do you thin about What sib/rib and size would you recommend me to look at?]

if you have room to store 4.2 mercury/ quicksilver heavy duty great boats and last very well the suzuki 25 will push it along very well with good fuel economy
Old 19 August 2019, 12:00   #6

RIBase

my 3.65 25hp next 4.2 quicksilver 25 hp 2 stroke next excel volair 4.3 20 hp on a recent trip around the isle of jura some 120 miles
Old 20 August 2019, 20:25   #7

I've read somewhere on this forum that SIB-s of 3.8m+ with alu floor panels are flexing much more than smaller 3.60m size.
Is that the case with Quicksilver HD420 and HD365?

Would Quicksilver HD420 with 250kg of people and gear be too much for Suzuki DF20? What can I expect with DF20 vs DF25?

Also, does anyone know fabric details about Quicksilver SIB boats? I know it is PVC, but nothing more.
Old 20 August 2019, 20:50   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMarlin View Post
I've read somewhere on this forum that SIB-s of 3.8m+ with alu floor panels are flexing much more than smaller 3.60m size.
Is that the case with Quicksilver HD420 and HD365?

No simple answer air floor possibly but not Ali unless it's not put together correctly

Would Quicksilver HD420 with 250kg of people and gear be too much for Suzuki DF20? What can I expect with DF20 vs DF25?

I'd say you will get 18-20 knots max if it's set up perfect and propped correct

Also, does anyone know fabric details about Quicksilver SIB boats? I know it is PVC, but nothing more.
Look on the web site for full spec 1100 denier the boat next to me is gurnard's boat 12 years old I think looks as good as mine 3 years old heavy duty built for divers use
Old 21 August 2019, 07:20   #9

Ok, so for now I think I narrowed my choice to two sibs.

1. Quicksilver 420 HD
2. Dulkan 400

Dulkan is made from Valmex PVC 1.250g/m² and is glued. It has wood floor.
Dulkan is around 500€ cheaper.
I can't find if Quicksilver is glued or welded and I have no knowledge if it has better material for tubes.

What do you guys think, which boat should last longer?

Btw, I really like the looks of honwave, but I read they have some quality control issues atm, so I'm not going to drink from that cup.
Old 21 August 2019, 08:41   #10

RIBase
the spec on these is lower than mine from 2015 mine weighs 100kg a 3.65 so i think the material has changed mine is welded PVC.
have no knowledge of the dulkan

Ron Hale Marine Ltd - Quicksilver Sport HD 420 Red PVC
Old 21 August 2019, 22:47   #11

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMarlin View Post
We are in Croatia and we don't have Excel here��
Go straight for a Rib, which Rib brands and sizes are available in Croatia, better buy locally for the warranty if ever in need to use it.

Happy Boating
Old 31 May 2020, 18:11   #12

Length: 3m +
New Sib

Hi Gents in a similar predicament as OP I am also in the market for a new Sib.
I did have a Yam 280sti that i used as a tender but it is long in the tooth now.
I looked at the quicksilver 4.2 as you suggested but it doesn’t look like it comes with seats, can they be fitted or is that the only way it comes? I am looking around 4.2 ish with an ally floor as i will be keeping on a trailer.
What issues are people having with the Honwave 400 as they look like good value or what about the Bombard 420 ally any one try one of these?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Prob looking at a 20/25hp motor.
Thanks in Advance.
Old 01 June 2020, 13:34   #13

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Liam welcome to the forum.

Jeff on here has good experience of these larger alloy floor SIBs... hopefully he'll see this and respond.

My impression is that most of this SIB type perform in a broadly similar way and all the well known brands are built to a decent standard. So choice will come down to the deal or availability at the time or how near the seller/dealer is.

David
Old 01 June 2020, 14:05   #14

RIBase
just picked this up, in my experience the longer sib is better with that you get a wider boat with larger diameter tubes which makes for a dryer ride with more freeboard a better seat position too lets your legs stretch a bit more, also the keel is deeper my new excel 435's keel is about twice the depth of the mercury 365 i had which also gives a higher bow.
ive seen a honwave 400 ali floor on one of our trips a good boat and a nice ride its just the colour for me no choice. excel boats are worth looking at i have the ali floor but ive been out with an air floor same size and very nice with a good ride according to the owner who has some neck injuries that needs a softer ride
hope that helps
Old 01 June 2020, 14:32   #15

Jeff thanks for your reply,
You have exactly what I am looking at. Are there any photos of yours on here?what engine are you running on yours? Also they give the option of a heavy duty version on the web site is the bow more flared on this than standard do you know?
Thanks
Liam
Old 01 June 2020, 14:38   #16

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Here's Jeff's excellent build thread...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/excel-...tch-82660.html

BTW on here click on a username to view public profile... click on Statistics then choose "all posts" or "threads started by".
Old 01 June 2020, 15:04   #17

David thanks for that, super helpful
Old 01 June 2020, 15:37   #18

RIBase
cheers David

Liam

link to the 435 below,im running a 25 suzuki, i think the heavy duty version is just a second skin on the hull but ring terry at excel i got a good deal part exing my mercury only losing 50% of its cost for a new boat with a better spec bigger pressure relief in the bow plus other stuff i bought the standard boat and well pleased with it just need to get the bl--dy thing out now.
bow shear is very high on mine so much so that an oversight by me of not pumping the keel right up has meant im lifting the trailer bunks up at the front 60mm with the keel using all the room up down the the trailer frame.
oh the vanguard with speed tubes is £500 more

https://www.excel-inflatables.co.uk/...oat-xhd435.php
Old 01 June 2020, 18:34   #19

Jeff

Do you need to run a battery with the 25hp Suzuki.
What size is your main fuel tank and who makes that?
How long before you will be able to take her out, cant wait to hear how you find her in the water.
Liam.
Old 01 June 2020, 19:52   #20

RIBase
only need a battery if running electronics and the charging circuit is £106 extra plus a battery £20 gel battery ebay lucas. main fuel tank is 43 litres ron hale marine, i get around 140 miles at differing speeds, i carry 25 litres spare on my trips but always bring it back. soon as covid buggers off im up the west with some mates to try her out,im expecting 20 knots at WOT on a 10 1/4 x 10 prop. ride will be better in the chop over the mercury but you have to drive to conditions so it's all relative. for me ive owned them all over the years but a SIB has the challenge and more fun factor at 66 didnt think id say that but its true

Tags
sib