Old 11 March 2019, 13:29   #1

Town: Holland
Boat name: zodiac 1972
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mer. class. fifty 45
Old Zodiac 3579 from 1972

Hi,

I’m Ronald from the Netherlands. Recently I bought an old zodiac. I wanted a hypalon rib boat, but the Zodiac Milpro fc470 was too expensive. But fortunately I found a Zodiac 3579 MK3 from 1972 in very good condition, with a old cable steering holder.
Only I have a few questions about this boot and can’t find the answers in other topics on this forum. I hope that you can help me. This is the boat:

Bags

bag label

Boat label

Boat

frost national bank near me floor
Old 11 March 2019, 13:30   #2

Question 1: The ring on the side of the zodiac. What is the purpose of this?

Question 2. There are two aluminium plates (A) on the transom of the zodiac. There are two sets of holes too (B & C) What is the purpose of each? Is it something for cable steering or launching wheels?
Transom outside

Transom inside
Old 11 March 2019, 13:31   #3

Question 3: I wonder when I unplug these self-bailers and the motor is turned off. Do I get water inside the both through these holes? Because the Zodiac Milpro’s have a additional flexible hose on the outside of the transom, which closed the opening when you aren’t sailing.
axis atm near me

Question 4: On the front of the boat is a hole with screw thread for a ‘pennant’. Is there a red/green lamp available for this screw type?

Question 5: Is this remote control steering holder original from Zodiac?

I hope to hear from you!!!
Kind regards
Ronald
Old 11 March 2019, 18:00   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi Ronald
Don't know for definite
I think the ring is for a tie down for a cover possibly an add on by an owner or to tie the oars too to stop loss.

The drains one looks( right hand ) to have a frame for a mushroom valve which is self bailing with the plug out the other just as an added help if you have lots of water in the boat

A) I think to offer strength to the internal floor stop from the outside.
B) for eye bolts for towing.
C) not sure possibly another eye for mooring lines or hold the cover on

The pennant hole will be a standard thread you might have to adapt that to suit.

Hope that helps
Old 11 March 2019, 19:00   #5

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150F
Hi, the brackets A & holes B were for launching wheels, we had an old zodiac with the same system. Quote handy for beach launching.
Old 12 March 2019, 16:51   #6

Town: Warlingham
Boat name: Rapier
Make: BWM
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
The top two holes in transom for ski hooks and the lower two with stainless washer on inside for launching wheels.

The rings on the side tube could be for a cover but having been the largest Zodiac dealer in the UK during the late 70's/80's, it was not uncommon to open a new boat from the factory to find additional fastenings like these for no particular reason. We later found out that if a boat was accidentally damaged during production, rather than scrapping the boat. they would stick a ring patch over the damage and match it by adding one the other side!

Steve is right about the bailers and you can probably still obtain the internal membrane for the bailer from a Zodiac dealer.

The steering is an unusual addition as normally the system Zodiac supplied was a stainless cross bar that clamped to the top of the lifeline holder just behind the spray dodger; however, when part of the Zodiac racing team in the early 70's some of us used the system that attached to the deck because it was more rigid. Whether this was a Zodiac accessory I cannot remember.

Hope this helps.
Old 12 March 2019, 17:05   #7

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
I'll add that those old zodiacs look great. There is just something cool about them. Perhaps it's the old Jacques Cousteau tv documentary?
Old 13 March 2019, 09:41   #8

Had a MK2 of my own in 1971 with a 40hp outboard and drove to Almeria with it in back of car. At hotel there were two western films being made and we were surrounded by film stars including Yul Brynner, Jack Palance, Leonard Nimoy, Charles Bronson, Jill Ireland etc. As we were the only ones with a boat some asked if they could have a ski behind the Zodi and of course we obliged. Quite excited to have so much attention from the rich and famous at the time!
Old 24 March 2019, 20:34   #9

Thank you all for your feedback and advice. I’m trying to restore the boat, so feedback is very welcome.

I’m in doubt about using the old cable steering unit or buying a new mono cable unit. I would like to buy a (Honda) 50 pk 4 stroke. The paddle wheel effect of that motor is probably present, and I have no idea how much of that paddle wheel effect is noticeable on the steering wheel with the old cable unit. A new mono cable would eliminate the paddle wheel effect on the steering wheel, but is costly. What would be your advice?

In the Netherlands there are a lots of occasions with 50 pk long shaft (almost no short shaft) The transom of my zodiac 40 cm, so a short shaft is recommend I guess. What happens when a mount a long shaft motor (50pk 4 stroke) to the Zodiac? Is it really unpleasant, or would it be unnoticeable?
Old 24 March 2019, 21:53   #10

Has to be standard shaft and then has be raised by 5cm to work efficiently. Long shaft would be awful, desperately inefficient and would cause a wall of water to rise up the back of the transom and pour water into the boat.

Standard cable steering Teleflex etc with a HP rating of 100 would suffice and prove positive and light to operate.

Paddle wheel effect is negligible compared with a V hull Rib (or Rhib) because of the relatively flat hull sections, likewise the offsetting of the motor to starboard to compensate for the torque/paddle-wheel effect of a right handed prop rotation is not necessary.

Mount the engine higher than normal but invest in a stainless steel propeller with some cupping once you know the RPM at light load/full throttle. Solas props are the ones that work best and assuming you have a tachometer, you need to be revving at 5500rpm at full throttle with full fuel and normal payload.
Old 14 June 2019, 13:49   #11

recently I painted the floorboards and placed them in the boat for the first time. I noticed that the front triangular board is placed a bit strange. The board glued to the boat is not exactly straight either. maybe it should be that way, I don't know. should it look like this?

www chase bank near me
Old 04 July 2019, 11:21   #12

I bought a mercury classic fifty 45 HP short tale. I raised the engine 22 millimetre on the transom, it’s the maximum height when using the original transom protection plate for the engine clamps.

I went on the water yesterday. The maximum speed was 48km/h (gps). But the water on the back of the boat was kind of wild, the water spray up a bit. Maybe it was because the engine wasn’t trim well (it was parallel to the transom).

But I wonder how low the propellor should be measured from the bottom of the transom. The center of the propeller is 20 cm deep right now and looks a bit deep, but maybe I am wrong?

In the photo below I placed the actual heights now. Should I place the engine higher? Or should I eliminated the spray only with the trim degree of the engine?

Looking forward to your answer.

Old 04 July 2019, 17:30   #13

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
I’ve said this before and will say it again. I love the classic look of the old Zodiacs. And with that outboard I like it even more.
Old 04 July 2019, 19:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
I’ve said this before and will say it again. I love the classic look of the old Zodiacs. And with that outboard I like it even more.
Wait till you see the hydroplane steering system with a Motolita mk3 teardrop steering wheel ;-).
Old 12 July 2019, 20:44   #15

Town: Breda
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
RIBase
Nice project Ronald!

Tags
zodiac