Old 14 July 2015, 05:44   #1

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Old used Aerotec impressions.

Well after that extensive re-glue and patch reported in this thread...

Aerotec patching/glue advice.

it was time to get it wet. On holiday now with easy access to the water so an ideal trial situation.

Usual easy inflate of an air floor type. I must say all these years on there is still a fascination with pulling a bundle of "fabric" out of the car and not too long later whooshing off on the sea.

Just one 8Nm run so far on the first day. Thankfully all the glue held!

Like our existing Zodiac 340 Acti-V I believe when lightly loaded (self plus teen) speed is limited by our 9" prop pitch on the 15" Mercury. Two way runs achieved a similar maximum to other air floors we've owned (to be precise from the GPS reading) with 17.9kts last night... and a one way maximum of 18.6kts. A nice cruise was around 15kts.

What was an improvement on the "flat" air floors was the ability to keep up the cruise into more choppy waters. It was super calm when we started out but halfway down the loch on the return there was the usual Scottish effect of wind funnelling between hills producing an awkward chop 45deg off the bow which it ran through well just with the odd squirm.

Anyway have to collect a kayak for daughter so a few images for now and more to say later.

Edit: Btw even with the initial 20mm transom shim it's a splashy thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bombard inflating.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	106992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bombard ready.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	106993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bombard leaving pontoon.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	106994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bombard splash.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	106995  

Old 14 July 2015, 12:33   #2

Town: evesham
Boat name: philipe
Make: zodiac
Good stuff, cheers. Have just done extensive repair work to a 340 cadet, it's a great felling when they're up, running and dry inside.

Old 15 July 2015, 06:18   #3

>>> running and dry inside.

Leak wise you're right but splash wise it's a different matter. Swapped for a 26mm transom shim for yesterday's run of 15Nm.

These Aerotecs are certainly sensitive to outboard settings. I didn't try it without a shim but went straight for the 20mm on first day which still splashed a bit of water over the transom and there was a hint of intermittent cavitation in a turn.

The 26mm shim had less splash at 14kts but more flat out... and not a sign of cavitation... odd. Today I'm going to try it with no shim and then just over 30mm.

I always said we couldn't have an Aerotec due to the sloped floor not suiting some minor mobility issues my wife has suffered in the past but which a recent op has reduced. So this was one of the biggest aspects of the V floor vs flat floor trial this holiday.

Thankfully she has no problem with the mostly angled floor now. The dog who is a constant boating companion is not so keen though as once you take out the area of the strapped down fuel tank there is a relatively small area that's flat for him to lie on. Also we've had to work out a different way of storing our kit as it all falls to the centre.

I would agree with a comment Max has made in the past that there is a slightly increased feeling of security with the greater internal depth from the V floor.

I was pleased to find on this latest 15Nm outing we didn't have to drop off the plane once due to sea conditions which would have been a factor with the flat air floors and hard floors we've had over the last decade.

Also speed was not too badly reduced for upping the load from our lightest to whole family plus dog and kit... about 37st in people/dog plus 20l fuel and usual kit. Comfortable cruise was down a little to 13-14kts and maximum seen 16.3kts.

So.... an Aerotec success as far as I can see... apart from the wish that splashing was easier to sort.

Just one image attached... of the splashing with the 26mm shim... you can see just behind my arm water throws up over the tube ends and every few seconds this reaches over the transom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bombard splash 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	107029  
Old 15 July 2015, 07:02   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Glad you're enjoying it. I think you will find whatever height you set the engine at you will get splashing - from looking at this in the past on here the unique Aerotec V that continues to the transom seems to channel water onto the leg and altering the height will not stop this.

However, this should not be coming over the transom with a 25mm or so shim. I don't think you can go much higher without modding the transom plates as the turnbuckles will be too high.

And as you note increasing the height will lead to ventilation in sharp turns sometimes, can't be avoided!

I'd strongly recommend doing the rubber floor mod, this firms up and flattens the floor - makes a big difference.

Also loads of places on these to clip on dry bags, fuel bladders etc to free up floor space. I clip ropes and bags to the bow rings and these tuck right out of the way in the forward bow space. And don't forget the 'storage pocket' under the floor - I carry the oars and 50ft of rope in there.

I think the thing to remember with the Aerotec is that it's marketed as a 'sports SIB', hence the narrow beam, 'performance hull', 45cm diameter tubes etc and really comes into it's own when driven this way (sporty) - ie rough water, chop, sharp turns at speed with much less slip etc.
Old 15 July 2015, 07:21   #5

Something I've not picked up on yet... is splashing more of a problem with the 380/Mercury combination?
Old 15 July 2015, 07:23   #6

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Possibly, check Loco's ABC SIB/engine set up topic for this. As long as the CAV plate is the correct optimum height not much else you can do...
Old 15 July 2015, 10:00   #7

Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner60 Honda2.3
MMSI: 239711398
Spotted this on a fairly new Aerotec last year. Don't know if it's a Zod/Bom accessory or how effective it might be, but looks a neat fitting.

Old 15 July 2015, 10:46   #8

That looks interesting. Is it a metal bracket with a rubber bit that would press against the front of the outboard and stop most of the water hitting the lumpy bit of the outboard?
Old 15 July 2015, 13:33   #9

Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner60 Honda2.3
MMSI: 239711398
Yes, quite right. Powder or plastic coated folded metal bracket with flexible rubber membrane to seal against lower leg.
Not got one on mine though as seem to have reduced splashing (not quite eliminated) to an acceptable level. Might be lucky with more credit going to the lower leg profile on the Suzuki DF20 as I think excessive splashing is a quirk of the hull/transom profile.
Old 15 July 2015, 13:35   #10

Town: Tyne and Wear
Engine: Tohatsu 25
As already stated i clip bags onto a line across the grab handle to keep the deck clear. Ive found these cycle panniers work quite well and are a good size, oh and halfrauds were selling them off.

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1436981447.736951.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	107059Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1436981491.024504.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	107060