Old 26 July 2013, 07:36   #1

Town: shrewsbury
Make: Honwave 3.2
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 2t 15hp
Oban/mid -argyll

Hi,
Off to oban on August 10th for a week with my honwave 3.2 and old yam 15hp. Anyone wants company inshore, safe cruising nearby, or has any advice,warnings or tips, please get in touch. Ive read all the posts i can see about the area, but any further info gratefully received!

Cheers

Neil
Old 29 July 2013, 20:44   #2

So...nobody there?
Old 29 July 2013, 20:51   #3

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffer View Post
So...nobody there?
Hi I up just now but back Aug 10th. You are coming right as the Scottish schools start back that week so anybody with family will be going back that weekend. Very few local guys but you may wish to give A1an pm as he is local. Hope you have a good week.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2013, 21:05   #4

Thanks jambo, I did pm you last month and you gave me three names to try. I did pm them over a week ago but no response, so I guess they're on holiday. Anyway, looking forward to my trip for almost a year, just hoping the weather is good, or at least good enough!
Old 30 July 2013, 09:01   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Oban Caravan and Camping sight is Good and with The Puffin Dive centre just next door. You can moor there cheaply if you wish...and they are a wealth of local info.A must visit is the Sea-Food Bar at the End of Oban Pier...the End of the Pier!
With loads of Great Cruising on your Doorstep you cant go wrong,have a good one!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 15:40   #6

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffer View Post
Thanks jambo, I did pm you last month and you gave me three names to try. I did pm them over a week ago but no response, so I guess they're on holiday. Anyway, looking forward to my trip for almost a year, just hoping the weather is good, or at least good enough!
Hi Puffer, Yes, I got your PM, not forgotten but have been busy, then away on the boat for a week. Just recovering. Off again tomorrow, then a break when I'll put my mind to your queries.

In Moon Raker, I rarely go north of Fladda Light. In unsettled and breezy conditions that area is not for the faint hearted in a small boat.
Old 30 July 2013, 18:07   #7

Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
Just be careful, both yesterday, and today, 999 calls were made when somone ashore spotted people in diffs. Had it not been for the fact that there were vessels nearby, it would have been a good hour before a lifeboat was anywhere near onscene.

Obviously at Oban you have their lifeboat, but in these two examples they didn't even have the means to call for a lifeboat, and were relying soley on someone ashore seeing them...

Look out for the ferries too if your in oban itself.
Old 30 July 2013, 18:08   #8

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Puffer..although I have just joined the forum (my first post) ..Im an old hand at boating in the Argyle area in small boats.

I hope you enjoy your visit and you are in a great area to enjoy your Honwave.

I dont know your experience of the sea but would strongly recommed exploring Loch Etive..its one of the best sea lochs in the area. Launch your boat from the beach at Taynuilt beside Kelly's Pier..plenty free parking on the shore..then head through the Bonawe narrows and go to the top eastern end of the loch. The scenery is superb and if you like fishing..its great for all kinds of fish..but bring a long line as it is 400ft deep in places. The loch is quite sheltered but there can be strong squalls of wind coming off the hills causing rough water very quickly.

Warning..keep well clear of Connal Bridge and the Falls of Laura..unless you like very strong tidal flows with white water

Loch Etive was flat calm two saturdays ago when I took this photo

If Im heading for the open sea, I often launch at Ganavan Sands..just to the north of Oban. There is a free slipway there and a huge car park which costs £2 to park for the day.

If the wind is fair..you can easily circumnavigate the Island of Kerrera which is a good adventure. No problems with strong tides there although it can get a bit choppy rounding the south western corner if wind is against tide. Plenty mackerel getting caught off there too.

If you have a VHF you will hear the CalMac ferries leaving Oban pier on channel 16. They warn boats that they intend leaving so you can scarper out their way. They can leave a big wash.

To give you and idea of what is possible in your inflatable..if the wind is calm ...

Last Saturday I launched at Ganavan beach ..went round Kerrera island.. into Loch Feochan.. down to Easdale and round the island .. round Inch Island.. back up to Ganavan bay via the west of Kerrera..then because it was such a nice night.. I then went round the Island of Lismore...all in my 4.3 meter inflatable with 25hp engine. Think it was around a 50 mile trip. Boat was full of mackerel for dinner too.

Im usually out on the water somewhere on weekends ..but its very much weather dependant as I dont like cold wet water

If you want more info from me ..then just ask
Old 30 July 2013, 18:22   #9

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi Puffer..although I have just joined the forum (my first post) ..Im an old hand at boating in the Argyle area in small boats.

I hope you enjoy your visit and you are in a great area to enjoy your Honwave.

I dont know your experience of the sea but would strongly recommed exploring Loch Etive..its one of the best sea lochs in the area. Launch your boat from the beach at Taynuilt beside Kelly's Pier..plenty free parking on the shore..then head through the Bonawe narrows and go to the top eastern end of the loch. The scenery is superb and if you like fishing..its great for all kinds of fish..but bring a long line as it is 400ft deep in places. The loch is quite sheltered but there can be strong squalls of wind coming off the hills causing rough water very quickly.

Warning..keep well clear of Connal Bridge and the Falls of Laura..unless you like very strong tidal flows with white water

Loch Etive was flat calm two saturdays ago when I took this photo

If Im heading for the open sea, I often launch at Ganavan Sands..just to the north of Oban. There is a free slipway there and a huge car park which costs £2 to park for the day.

If the wind is fair..you can easily circumnavigate the Island of Kerrera which is a good adventure. No problems with strong tides there although it can get a bit choppy rounding the south western corner if wind is against tide. Plenty mackerel getting caught off there too.

If you have a VHF you will hear the CalMac ferries leaving Oban pier on channel 16. They warn boats that they intend leaving so you can scarper out their way. They can leave a big wash.

To give you and idea of what is possible in your inflatable..if the wind is calm ...

Last Saturday I launched at Ganavan beach ..went round Kerrera island.. into Loch Feochan.. down to Easdale and round the island .. round Inch Island.. back up to Ganavan bay via the west of Kerrera..then because it was such a nice night.. I then went round the Island of Lismore...all in my 4.3 meter inflatable with 25hp engine. Think it was around a 50 mile trip. Boat was full of mackerel for dinner too.

Im usually out on the water somewhere on weekends ..but its very much weather dependant as I dont like cold wet water

If you want more info from me ..then just ask
Welcome to RIBnet Gurnard nice informative first post
Old 30 July 2013, 18:29   #10

Thanks Kerny..I tried to add another photo to my post to Puffer ..but it didnt show..so I will add it here. Its the public slipway at Ganavan bay..just to the north of Oban..its the cheepest option..and because Im a tight Scotsman with money ..I love it.

Its very wide too ..so suitable for me as Im not the best at reversing with a trailer. It was built for the war to allow the seaplanes access to the water.

My photo shows it better than I can describe it

Old 30 July 2013, 23:26   #11

Thanks for the info and advice so far. I've been in the area many times, used to live near by as a youth, but never boated there till I got up to etive last month but was blown off by the funnelling winds in the low twenties. Kerny's right about the gusts and chop.

Thanks for the warning about the recent coastal scares. I've got a vhf and licence, but want to take it very easy till I'm confident about my own capabilities and my kit, especially the motor.

Look forward to any further advice

Chin chin!:thumbs
Old 31 July 2013, 17:25   #12

Some very nice pics from gurnard, thanks. I've been looking at charts for launching in loch melfort, round shuna and into loch cragnish. Looks sheltered but I know there are fast currents, and in an inflatable plastic bag, plenty of rocks. I suppose others have done it, just needs care and a bit confidence...
Old 31 July 2013, 18:21   #13

Thanks for your comments on my photos puffer.

Re your thoughts on Loch Melfort into loch craignish ..my advice would be...no no no !

The reason is ... you will go through some of the strongest tidal flows on the west of Scotland on this route. The Dorus Mor flows past Craignish point ..and can take the unexpected sailor straight across the sound of Jura and into the Corryvrechan ..third biggest whirlpool in the world

Of course it is possible in a 3 meter inflatable..but make sure you know the tide flows..times and directions of flow .. your main engine is very reliable.. and you have an auxilliary engine too.

I would advise you to keep clear of anything shown on charts as Sound of Jura ..until you have a lot of experience. However that is only my opinion.

But dont let that put you off boating in Loch Craignish or Loch Melford..just keep away from their sea entrances. Loch Craignish is another favourite of mine.

I often launch at a layby near Kirkton chapel..room to park two cars and it has an easy beach launch. However at low tide..its a muddy walk back to the hard shingle shore.

From there I explore round the two large islands..then by keeping close inshore on the east coast of the mainland at Island Macaskin ..I avoid the start of the Dorus Mor ..and go all the way down to Crinan and Duntrune Castle ..I do it in my 2.6m seago with a 3.3 mariner..so no tidal problems in that part of the loch
Old 31 July 2013, 18:36   #14

This is a photo of the Dorus Mor at Craignish point..when it is sleeping ..tide almost full out..no wind at all.
Its a fast flowing river.

Hit it wrong ..something go wrong.. and it will sweep you straight across the Sound of Jura..this is a photo of it on a calm night
The flow heads for the gap on the horizon.. even from this distance I could hear the growl of the Corryvrechan. She swirls in the gap
Stay safe my friend..respect the power of the sea :-D

But that is only my advise ..others may disagree with me ..and I will respect their view..assuming they know these waters well
Old 31 July 2013, 19:53   #15

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I'll let Alystra reply and comment in the foregoing as it is his home grounds and he knows them like the back of his hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote