Old 05 August 2016, 11:18   #1

Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15 Efi
Oar hand grips.....

Managed to lose one oar grip on our last outing - checked the other one and it's a really poor fit - needs to be glued really. They're just the generic light grey grips on a Honwave/ Sunsport oar.

Does anyone have an old grip hanging around or know where I can get a decent replacement - most I've seen are 30mm not 32mm inside diameter which is what the oar is. Managed to get a 30mm one some of the way on, but stuck tight half way.

Small problem I know but I don't want to leave it without a grip!
Cheers.
Old 05 August 2016, 13:51   #2

Town: TEIGNMOUTH
Boat name: Little Nelly
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 25HP
Have you tried putting the 30mm grips in hot water, see if the fit easier when pliable. Also use a little bit of washing up liquid as a lube? Not sure if it will work, but it used to on my handlebars on my bike as a kid
Old 05 August 2016, 13:59   #3

Thanks, yep that's how I got them half way on then playing a hot air gun over them, but there's so much contact area they wont budge past about half way on! I thought I'd sorted it!
Old 05 August 2016, 14:06   #4

Thanks, yep that's how I got them half way on then playing a hot air gun over them, but there's so much contact area they wont budge past about half way on! I thought I'd sorted it!
Old 05 August 2016, 17:28   #5

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I might have one at home but we're in Bonny Scotland for two weeks. I did the same and lost one but just bought two black plastic caps on eBay and took the remaining one off. You're welcome to it if (the man cave's quite deep ) .
Old 05 August 2016, 17:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
I might have one at home but we're in Bonny Scotland for two weeks. I did the same and lost one but just bought two black plastic caps on eBay and took the remaining one off. You're welcome to it if (the man cave's quite deep ) .
That would be fantastic if it can be found! I'll cover any costs of course or may be able to collect as I'm often passing on the A1/M1
Have a good holiday and watch the midges!
Old 05 August 2016, 17:45   #7

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 75
Could I just suggest a little tip...!I got told this years ago, and has worked wonders over the years with the kids bikes and scooters etc etc.

Instead of using washing up liquid, use hairspray, as it is slippy, but dries after a while, and becomes sticky, and acts as a glue, so wont budge...!
Old 05 August 2016, 18:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho View Post
Could I just suggest a little tip...!I got told this years ago, and has worked wonders over the years with the kids bikes and scooters etc etc.

Instead of using washing up liquid, use hairspray, as it is slippy, but dries after a while, and becomes sticky, and acts as a glue, so wont budge...!
I'll try that with the replacements - it's not something I've tried before. Meanwhile the replacement grips are half on (or half off depending on your outlook) and it looks like a blade is the only way to remove them. If I can get a straight replacement for the lost one I'll just cut the replacements off.
Old 06 August 2016, 06:35   #9

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Oar hand grips.....

Great tip re hairspray from psycho. Been using this technique on bike grips for as long as I can remember....works a treat and sticks like sh...
To remove grips we squirt some GT85/WD40 in by sliding the thin applicator nozzle between grip and bar. A bit of twisting and pulling to break the seal and grip just slides off. Saves damaging bars/oars with a blade.
Good luck.
Old 08 August 2016, 15:31   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Another option is to do what they do to golf club grips: A spiral of double-sided masking tape, a wash with acetone, and slip them on. The adhesive gets slippery as snot for assembly, then adheres when the acetone flashes off.

Not sure this would work with as tight a fit as it sounds like your grips have though...

jky