Old 11 March 2012, 20:28   #21

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
To be quite honest for me personally using the high pressure part of the pump is not worth the effort as I can get the boat up to usable state with the large volume bit,

Try blowing a plastic bag up with it and see what's happening then may give you a better idea.

Rough guess 1 stroke of the foot on the normal needs about 5 or 6 strokes of the high pressure side just to gain the same amount of volume.
As jyasaki said its only a very small low volume bladder/bellows inside on thr high pressure part and more often than not the rubber flap valve can come loose inside or if it not been assembled tight enough the small high pressure bellows seal can leak or blow off inside and then not work .
Old 12 March 2012, 15:54   #22

Town: Oakland CA
The low pressure side has to compress to use the HP side. As I said, it's a bellows-within-a-bellows arrangement. You use one bellows at a time (unless you have 2 hoses, I guess - never tried that.)

To test, put the hose in the HP side and cover the hose output. Let the LP side breathe openly (if you block the LP side, you can't compress the HP bellows.) There should be some small amount of air forced out of the HP side as you compress the pump (it won't be much; you're talking about traveling in 1st gear vs 4th - takes a lot more to get anywhere, but will climb over obstacles, in this case the existing pressure.) If nothing comes out, then yes, the pump is not working.

jky
Old 12 March 2012, 19:24   #23

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
How about this as a cheap solution. Makes life so much easier.

It's not mine, I don't know the seller

Bravo Pump 12 Volt For Inflatable Boats Or Ribs. Free Car Battery If You Collect

http://bit.ly/wn1GOv

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 15 March 2012, 13:53   #24

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Don't get too stressed....

You may have a faulty pump, or a part missing, but don't let it spoil your new purchase!

I bought a Zodiac 2.85m SIB a couple of years ago and the first thing I did was to junk the foot pump and buy an electric one.
We keep it in the boat for emergencies but you really will not look back once you get an electric one and the boat is fully inflated in under 2 minutes.
You don't have to spend £150, my first pump was a Rule one at £60, although the Bravo pump with digital readout of pressure and auto cutoff is great at £120
Old 17 July 2012, 16:16   #25

Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honwave 35
Make: honda
Engine: Honda 10hp tiller
Hi gang. Update.

Viking Marine are flatly refusing to do anything at all to help me out, even though Honda have confirmed that the air valves are about the most common fault. They have made a mountain out of a molehill.

Consumer direct/trading standards are involved and have advised me to take viking marine in goole to the small claims.

You see viking have said: it was 'sold as seen' - well trading standards had this to say -"The statement 'sold as seen' is seen as an attempt to restrict a consumers rights and is potentially an offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, using this statement when selling to consumers would have no legal effect if the consumer were to take action through the courts.

I would like to refer the details provided to our Fair Trading team"

Viking also said (this is amazing) because I saw the boat in their showroom, it constituted an 'inspection' so I have no rights. What out and out crooks.

I hope no-one else falls for this nonsense from them or any other crooked rogue trader.

I have gathered all of their emails which document the whole sorry trail, and am proceeding to small claims court.

Viking Marine in Goole - avoid like the plague.
Old 17 July 2012, 16:28   #26

Town: Lancashire
Length: 5m +
Is it really worth the effort over a pump? I had exactly the same problem as you when i got a honwave last year, didnt bother me one bit. I just didnt use the HP output and topped up to max with LP output, pressure was plenty enough to get on the water and have some fun.
Ended up swapping for bravo to save the leg ache anyway
Old 17 July 2012, 17:07   #27

Town: South West
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu, 20
Hi,

I had the same problem with the pump that came with my Honwave but it turned out it wasn't a fault. Most of the air bypasses through the Lp connection when using the Hp connection (if I remember right only 1/6th of the air goes into the boat) . You have to pump like mad for ages to make any difference. But if you are certain it is faulty why not ask a different Honwave dealer to deal with the warranty issue or complain direct to Honda?

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Matt
Old 17 July 2012, 17:18   #28

I agree it is completely silly - but did I mention that apart from the pump (easily sorted) the air filling valves were passing? So an inflatable that won't inflate. Ooops.

It beats me (and Matt in Honda customer services) why Viking won't do anything - it is a mountain out of a molehill. A warranty submission to honda would have done it - but instead Viking Marine (goole) said it was 1. ex display 2. sold as seen, 3. seen in the showroom so inspected. All of these statements by them contravene consumer law. In this day and age that is truly bonkers.

Absolute madness, and so unnecessary. Honda said ultimately, the contract is with viking so they cant do anything - which I think is very, very weak indeed. We have a honda 75 too and I tell you what I would never buy another honda product as long as I live. Viking have just taken on the honda dealership, which advertises 'Sales, Service & Expertise".

I have asked Viking Marine (goole) what I need to do to access these 3 things...... but strangely did not get a reply.

So I will take them to small claims, and submit all of their crooked emails to the office of fair trading, trading standards and when we have been to small claims court, the local press near to their dealership and of course letters to all of the boating press.

Viking Marine (goole) have said in their last email "They will vigorously defend their actions". How do they defend clear breaches of consumer law?

They think I will be frightened off but guess what..........

all the best, Matt
Old 17 July 2012, 18:13   #29

Town: Plymouth
So how much of a discount was given for it being ex-display ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 17 July 2012, 18:19   #30

Are you sure they didn't leave the values on the tubes open when they deflated it? To leave them open you fully press in the yellow button on the valve then turn it 1 quarter turn to lock open.

I checked my warranty booklet and you can have a warranty repair carried out through any Honda dealer so long as you can present them with the warranty card or proof of purchase. Just thinking you might get on the water faster doing that. Your dealer sounds bloody terrible
Old 17 July 2012, 18:41   #31

Was the boat pumped up when you viewed it at the dealer?
Get some pics up of the valves to see if anyone can help.
Old 17 July 2012, 18:51   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWman
Was the boat pumped up when you viewed it at the dealer?
Get some pics up of the valves to see if anyone can help.
That's the assumption I was possible incorrectly making and why I'm thinking they may have left then open. Would be extremely odd of every value to be knackered.

It's possible the valves are not tightend up. I had a tube that deflated in a few hours and it turned out the valve hadn't be tightened correctly. Oddly it warns you of that in the manual but doesnt give any instructions on how to go about tightening them!

My dealer has managed to solve all my probs like that over the phone. Might be worth asking their advice, one of the guys there knows loads about them. John Bridger marine in Exeter.

Good luck
Old 17 July 2012, 19:55   #33

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Have you sent Viking Marine a link to this thread? Sounds like they don't give two hoots so thanks for the avoid warning.
Old 17 July 2012, 21:58   #34
RIBnet Supporter

When a new member joins and exclusively posts complaints about a single company, I always wonder...

I wonder are they really asking our opinion or just using RIBnet as a stick -flailing away at the company?
I wonder what they were like to do business with?

I had a client today who complained about the product. We checked the product in their presence and there was no problem. Really no problem. Even they couldn't find a problem. Then they didn't like my attitude, which was "Er, what problem?" They really wanted a different (pricier) product in exchange but by now the problem was my attitude. Tomorrow they'll be on the interweb havering about me.

I won't be replying
Old 18 July 2012, 05:25   #35

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Ok, as dealer of these boats I feel its time to make a few points.

1: Your account and theirs is very different as I have been speaking to the person with the initials of LE and though I have not met him in person he does sound like an honest bloke trying to make an honest living. What is also not in dispute is that there are 2 sides to every story.
2: I can show you pictures of a faulty pump that i took in after the guy who had bought a honwave on the internet had a faulty pump and oonly found this out when he was 200 miles from home on the shores of loch lomond. It is only a few minutes work, so not a big deal and no money changed hands. So why when it is so easy to do would

a: your dealer be so angry with you they would not spend 5 minutes of their time sorting this out
b: have you not gone to any other Honda dealer to ask them to sort it out under warranty

Maybe I am 100% wrong in this but even if I had not been speaking to them about other things that are not Honda related ( more on that soon) it does seem a bit strange that they would rarther you take them to court than fill in a warranty claim that would take a matter of a few minutes.
Old 18 July 2012, 08:09   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
When a new member joins and exclusively posts complaints about a single company, I always wonder...

I wonder are they really asking our opinion or just using RIBnet as a stick -flailing away at the company?
I wonder what they were like to do business with?

I had a client today who complained about the product. We checked the product in their presence and there was no problem. Really no problem. Even they couldn't find a problem. Then they didn't like my attitude, which was "Er, what problem?" They really wanted a different (pricier) product in exchange but by now the problem was my attitude. Tomorrow they'll be on the interweb havering about me.
Agreed!

I have also had the same problem, the guy ended up on a van forum with every complaint under the sun. Left him to it as anyone with common sense knows there is two sides to a story! Its just frustrating
Old 18 July 2012, 10:18   #37
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
techicinally there is 3 sides to every story

1) complainer
2) dealer
3) the truth

lol

S.
Old 18 July 2012, 10:33   #38

Gentlemen, I couldn't agree more that it's an odd scenario - what I can say is I have the emails from Viking in which they actually say it was 'sold as seen' and 'inspected'. Difficult to dispute it in writing!

As trading standards & consumer direct have pointed out it is not legal for a business to do this.

I am unable to explain why they take that stance, that's their choice. I have directed them to the OFT website which states all of this is illegal - but still they stick to their guns. Bonkers.

Never ind, these thigns are sent to try us.

cheers all for your input.

Matt