Old 14 September 2008, 21:34   #1

Town: USA
Boat name: Borrowed Time
Make: Sea Eagle
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Nine Lives

I have enjoyed reading the forums and decided to register and share a story. In 1986 I purchased a Sea Eagle GT-15 along with a 15 HP motor. Had great fun with the boat for a few years but then life became very busy and I put the boat in storage in the basement
(1994). Fast forward to July 1 2008, I decided to get the ol'boat out and see what it looked like. I let it set in the sun for a bit to relieve the stiffness a bit and unrolled it. Much to my surprise It seems that a mouse had taken quite a liking to the PVC material and chewed 5 holes in the boat.
I contemplated just throwing it in the trash but decided to give it a go on repairing. The holes the mouse put in required patching from the inside and outside and was challenging for someone that never repaired an SIB before. I certainly didn't get it right the first, second or even the third time on the most damaged areas. The project became a test of patience and determination. After a few weeks the ol'boat was starting to take shape again, the major repairs were holding and all that remained were minor repairs. I then bought a quart of internal sealant rolled the boat around in the yard per the instructions. Much to my surprise and delight the ol'boat was looking young again and holding air for days on end. But the real test needed to be on the water not on the back deck of the house. A friend and I took the ol'boat to the local river and had a successful voyage and caught many fish also. I had forgotten what great fun these boats are, I have no long term expectations for the the ol'boat, actually I'm looking at all the great new boats on the market, I see a new boat in the not too distant future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_00060.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	37506   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_00070.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	37507   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_00190.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	37508   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_00210.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	37509  
Old 14 September 2008, 21:56   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
I have enjoyed reading the forums and decided to register and share a story. In 1986 I purchased a Sea Eagle GT-15 along with a 15 HP motor. Had great fun with the boat for a few years but then life became very busy and I put the boat in storage in the basement
(1994). Fast forward to July 1 2008, I decided to get the ol'boat out and see what it looked like. I let it set in the sun for a bit to relieve the stiffness a bit and unrolled it. Much to my surprise It seems that a mouse had taken quite a liking to the PVC material and chewed 5 holes in the boat.
I contemplated just throwing it in the trash but decided to give it a go on repairing. The holes the mouse put in required patching from the inside and outside and was challenging for someone that never repaired an SIB before. I certainly didn't get it right the first, second or even the third time on the most damaged areas. The project became a test of patience and determination. After a few weeks the ol'boat was starting to take shape again, the major repairs were holding and all that remained were minor repairs. I then bought a quart of internal sealant rolled the boat around in the yard per the instructions. Much to my surprise and delight the ol'boat was looking young again and holding air for days on end. But the real test needed to be on the water not on the back deck of the house. A friend and I took the ol'boat to the local river and had a successful voyage and caught many fish also. I had forgotten what great fun these boats are, I have no long term expectations for the the ol'boat, actually I'm looking at all the great new boats on the market, I see a new boat in the not too distant future.
Welcome.... and thanks for posting that Bald Eagle Its always very satisfactory to see a problem overcome hope you continue to enjoy many happy years boating