Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 July 2013, 08:58   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15HP 2Str
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 109
Newbie to the waters...almost!

Hi all,

I am based on Bristol and looking to buy an inflatable for tootering around Bristol Harbour waters and also potentially to the sea every now and then!

My limitation is in towing as my car doesn't have a towbar, therefore I am looking at an inflatable which can ideally sit on top of my car (3 series BMW) via roofbars, or alternatively be deflated and placed in the boot.

I want a 5-man craft so that space isn't squashed whilst on the boat, I am also thinking that a 9.9hp outboard will be sufficient as its a good compromise between power and weight for carrying it around. I'm considering a second-hand engine at first, ensure that I like the concept and then will upgrade to a new motor.

I initially considered the SunSport ARIB350 but on further investigation the Honwave T35AE looks like a better buy, same price but with an aluminium floor, and of course manufactured by Honda, rather than some unknown import. Interested in your views as to whether this is the right decision.

Finally, in terms of transport, are my plans realistic with regards to carrying it on the roof of a car or inflating/deflating on each use?

If anyone has a T35 and you're based in Bristol, I'd love to see one being launched, feel free to drop me a message!

Great site, looking forward to learning lots from you guys!

Cheers, Ash
__________________

__________________
sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 09:33   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Easy lady
Make: Bombard aerotech
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 42
I'll say it before someone else does, Bombard Aerotec 380!

Great boat, will fold down and go in the boot and a couple of you should be able to get it on the roof.

Not sure about the performance 5 up with only 9hp.

I got a Yam 15, 2 stoke and that would struggle with 5 adults. With 2 adults and 2 kids it goes like a dream!
__________________

__________________
Nolandandallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 09:47   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15HP 2Str
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolandandallsea View Post
I'll say it before someone else does, Bombard Aerotec 380!

Great boat, will fold down and go in the boot and a couple of you should be able to get it on the roof.

Not sure about the performance 5 up with only 9hp.

I got a Yam 15, 2 stoke and that would struggle with 5 adults. With 2 adults and 2 kids it goes like a dream!
Hey Noland, thanks for replying. The Aerotec looks lovely but its over twice the price - I can pickup the Honwave for just under 1k which is within budget.

I guess if your 3.8m will fit on a roof, the 3.5m should be fine too - are there any negatives about the Honwaves?

I won't be carrying 5 people that often, most likely only two, but it'll be nice to have lots of room when there is only two of us
__________________
sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 10:25   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15HP 2Str
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 109
Just another note - I have been reading that air floors are possibly far better than aluminium floors, therefore I'm interested now more in a Honwave with an airfloor, although it seems that they only do a 3.8, not a 3.5
__________________
sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 11:35   #5
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
If you intend to inflate and deflate evry time you use it and airfloor is much easier and lighter to use. I have had both an airfloor and a aluminum floor Honwave and the ali floor one ended up on a trailer.

If you are looking for a used 9.9 2 stroke, you may as well buy a 15, they are usually the same engine, but with a couple of performance tweeks.

My choice would be a Honwave T38 with a 15hp 2 stroke (Yamaha/Mariner/Mercury/Tohatsu). It will plane with 3 up but probably not with 5 adults.

Just seen you are considering the T32 and T38, the T32 is actually a decent size for a 3.2m Sib, the square bow, short sponsons behind the transom and the deep V floor make it feel surprisingly roomy.

__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 11:45   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15HP 2Str
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
If you intend to inflate and deflate evry time you use it and airfloor is much easier and lighter to use. I have had both an airfloor and a aluminum floor Honwave and the ali floor one ended up on a trailer.

If you are looking for a used 9.9 2 stroke, you may as well buy a 15, they are usually the same engine, but with a couple of performance tweeks.

My choice would be a Honwave T38 with a 15hp 2 stroke (Yamaha/Mariner/Mercury/Tohatsu). It will plane with 3 up but probably not with 5 adults.

Just seen you are considering the T32 and T38, the T32 is actually a decent size for a 3.2m Sib, the square bow, short sponsons behind the transom and the deep V floor make it feel surprisingly roomy.
Thanks for info, sounds good - interesting that you suggest a 2-stroke as most seem to suggest 4-strokes instead? Aren't there some waters where 2str's aren't allowed?

I'm still veering towards the T38 as I'll have extra room if we're on a day-long cruise somewhere, it'll be nice to be able to relax without being cramped if its us two adults.

The price difference between the two is only 200, if I keep the boat for some years I'll no doubt be glad that I went for the bigger one.
__________________
sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 12:11   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant View Post
Thanks for info, sounds good - interesting that you suggest a 2-stroke as most seem to suggest 4-strokes instead? Aren't there some waters where 2str's aren't allowed?


You'll find much love amongst the SIB'ers here for two strokes - the Tohatsu 9.8 or the Yam/Mariner/Mercury 15 are the main choices.

You won't find any new packages or dealers recommending 2 strokes as they have not been able to see new ones to private owners for 5 years or more.

But for SIB use the light weight, great pick up, simplicity, ease of carry and transport of the 2 stroke makes them the popular choice amongst the enthusiasts.

Generally a 3.5m ish SIB and one of the above engines is the default choice.

Airfloors are the way to go for lightweight transporting especially if setting up each time. Howver, you mention 5 people, generally you'll find SIBs are happier with 1-3 people max.

Anway, check back over the 'SIB' section of the forum, your question of 'which boat' is the No1 questions and there are *hundreds* of previous discussions worth studying.
__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 12:25   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15HP 2Str
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
You'll find much love amongst the SIB'ers here for two strokes - the Tohatsu 9.8 or the Yam/Mariner/Mercury 15 are the main choices.
I guess I have been put off from 2-strokes because of the annoying high-pitched engine whine, the unreliability (getting my 2-stroke chainsaw to start is a nightmare, especially when its hot!) and the smell too. In addition, aren't 2-strokes frowned upon in harbour/canal waterways because of the above?
__________________
sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 12:37   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant View Post
I guess I have been put off from 2-strokes because of the annoying high-pitched engine whine, the unreliability (getting my 2-stroke chainsaw to start is a nightmare, especially when its hot!) and the smell too. In addition, aren't 2-strokes frowned upon in harbour/canal waterways because of the above?
I wouldn't compare horrible smoky, screeching (cheap Chinese?) garden equipment to the well known big brand marine engines mentioned!
__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 13:25   #10
Member
 
bingosucks's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant View Post
Hi all,

I am based on Bristol and looking to buy an inflatable for tootering around Bristol Harbour waters and also potentially to the sea every now and then!

My limitation is in towing as my car doesn't have a towbar, therefore I am looking at an inflatable which can ideally sit on top of my car (3 series BMW) via roofbars, or alternatively be deflated and placed in the boot.

I want a 5-man craft so that space isn't squashed whilst on the boat, I am also thinking that a 9.9hp outboard will be sufficient as its a good compromise between power and weight for carrying it around. I'm considering a second-hand engine at first, ensure that I like the concept and then will upgrade to a new motor.

I initially considered the SunSport ARIB350 but on further investigation the Honwave T35AE looks like a better buy, same price but with an aluminium floor, and of course manufactured by Honda, rather than some unknown import. Interested in your views as to whether this is the right decision.

Finally, in terms of transport, are my plans realistic with regards to carrying it on the roof of a car or inflating/deflating on each use?

If anyone has a T35 and you're based in Bristol, I'd love to see one being launched, feel free to drop me a message!

Great site, looking forward to learning lots from you guys!

Cheers, Ash
dream on son you aint fitting that in the back of your beamer
it`s a lot of weight to lift on to your roof too

i love my 2 stroke 100 year old mariner and those that have seen it say it can motor , theres no chance of an oily spill in you boot either

personally i would seriously consider a box trailer
__________________

__________________
bingosucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.