Old 09 March 2011, 11:16   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
The transom is held in position by the tube pressure, so it will tend to "flex" a bit (actually distorting the tubes) when running.

Patching isn't *that* hard (and you get better with practice); the cone end part might be worrisome, though. Is the leak in the fabric of the cone or is it the solid plug?

Old glue can be removed with elbow grease and sandpaper, or (my favorite) a Dremel tool and an abrasive flap disk. I've never found solvents to be that effective at removing old glue, but it is more effective at recent applications.

jky

Old 09 March 2011, 11:40   #12

Town: Huntington Beach, CA
I'm wondering now if I should just go new with something like this...

http://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable_boat_sd430.asp

A few hundred more but for a new boat. From what I've read people are pretty happy with them. Decisions, decisions.

Old 09 March 2011, 11:50   #13

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopp View Post
Do you think you'll be able to hand launch it in the harbor like off 15th st or something? I'd like to be able to do that so I don't have to launch from newport dunes which is like 20 bucks and 40 min to get to the ocean.
Do you think you'll be able to hand launch quote,I think you will have trouble trying to hand launch it with a 40 hp on the back,i have Heavy duty type sib that you have looked at and it is on 395,so not so long but dam heavy with an alloy floor in,also good ole hypalon made same age 1984,had a lot to do on her and still have few slow leaks,transom was abit knacked but i done it up,its a tuff one decisions decisions as they say,good luck in what you do,that saturn one looks nice for a bit of inshore fishing and no work to be done,if i had the money i would of gone new,good luck.
Old 09 March 2011, 15:48   #14

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopp View Post
I'm wondering now if I should just go new with something like this...

http://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable_boat_sd430.asp

A few hundred more but for a new boat. From what I've read people are pretty happy with them. Decisions, decisions.
Boats are sort of like cars: The depreciation curve is pretty steep. In the first year or two, you can expect resale value to drop to about 1/2 the purchase price. Buying used lets the other owner take that hit.

That said, there is something to be gained in peace of mind when buying new. No questions about what damage might be hiding where, etc. Warranty may be a plus as well.

As you say, the decision which route to go is problematic, at best. Good luck whichever way you decide.

jky