Old 12 August 2013, 12:18   #1

Town: Durham City
Boat name: Not named yet
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Newbie... Help!!

Hi, I've just purchased a used Quicksilver Air Deck 340 (SIB?) with a Mariner 15hp 2 stroke engine and would like some advice on where and how to launch it please!

I live in Durham in the North East of England around 10 miles from the coast, am I right in thinking I can just launch the boat from any beach? or are there restrictions in place at certain beaches to prevent you from doing this? (If so, how do I find out where I can launch it?). I'm planning on carrying the boat and engine in the car (Estate), inflating it before use and deflating at the end of the day (although I may buy a trailer next year if this is too much hassle). Assuming I can launch it from a beach can anyone give me tips on how to do this? (ie. blow boat up first and attach engine then carry over beach to water? (There are 2 adults and 3 kids in total to help) or carry boat to water first then attach engine in the water?) I believe the boat weighs around 40kg and the engine 35kg...

Would you recommend trying the boat on a lake first? (I can get to Ullswater in just over an hour) or is it ok to launch first time on sea in calm conditions and not stray too far from the shore (I'm less than 15 minutes away from the sea)? We all have life jackets etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - as you can tell this is all completely new to me!!

Thanks in advance

Ian
Old 12 August 2013, 16:11   #2

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: Frecciarossa
Make: Bombard
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha25
I'm not much off being a newbie to SIBs myself (but not the sea - kayaks for many years) and after one outing in a 4.2m Bombard with a 25hp Yamaha on a tidal river, I'd say definitely make the trip to Ullswater for the first outing. There's a lot to think about without having to deal with tides and (possibly) off-shore winds, particularly with kids involved - our normally very adventurous 4 year old was clinging to his mum and we were nowhere near going full speed.

Personally RYA Powerboat 2 and more sheltered water experience for me before I consider the sea near us (North Sea, Suffolk/Norfolk way).
Old 12 August 2013, 16:45   #3

Town: Oop North
I'm down the road from you in Redcar, with a similar setup, 3.4 Zodiac and 15hp Mercury. If you want an easy launch then try the slip at Granville Terrace (near Zetland Park) in Redcar. It's where the Jet Skis launch from. But pick a very calm day.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as just buying a boat and off you go, I'd recommend RYA level 2, Tees Marine Studies Near the Transporter in Middlesbrough do a 2 day course for about £250. Also if going to sea a VHf radio (plus getting a license), plus safety equipment is also a good idea.
Old 12 August 2013, 16:51   #4

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
theres a sibclub outing in ullswater this weekend give it a go !
Old 12 August 2013, 22:07   #5

Town: Durham City
Boat name: Not named yet
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Outboard
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll definitely use the boat on a lake to start with! The Sibclub outing on Ullswater sounds good but don't think I can make it this weekend - Is this a regular event? Is there anywhere I can get further information on this (exact location / time etc.)?

Cheers.

Ian
Old 12 August 2013, 22:18   #6

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Really, to help you, you're only after some launch wheels, (fat ones for the sand) that attach to the transom. With all your bods it should make for an easy launch. It may be easier to carry the engine as close to the water as you can to make the sand trek easier. But essentially try to use your boat as a trolley. Put everything as close to the stern as possible for wheeling around and redistribute just before launch.
Make sure your prop has enough depth to turn freely when you're all aboard, usually means one of you getting very wet if beach launching.
Take paddles. Remember to open fuel tank breather and wear kill cord.
Enjoy and "Hello and welcome".