Old 12 January 2006, 00:31   #1

Town: colorado springs
Length: no boat
Newbie asking advice

I am really new to boating of any kind. I live in Colorado and would like a small portable boat that I can haul either on top or inside my Jeep Cherokee. The waters on the high mountain lakes here can be unpredictable and go from no waves to 3 foot waves and winds over 30 or 40 miles an hour in no time. I was thinking a small rib like a Zodiac zoom 300 SR might fit the bill but I talked to a dealer today on the phone and they steered me towards a non-rib Zodiac with the Futura Hull I think it was the Mark IIC. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. I would mostly be using it to fish from but of course if it was fun and fast that would be nice also. The only dealer we have in Colorado that I know of is in Denver and I doubt they have much experience with this kind of boat so I don't think I have any one local to ask advice from.
Thanks
Wyomoose
Old 12 January 2006, 04:50   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have a Quicksilver 310 sport which is a similar boat fitted with a Suzuki 15hp 4 stroke outboard. It will do 20mph and hardly uses any fuel. I have taken it out on the open sea several times and it's great fun and very safe - even with 3 people sitting on one side the boat is stable.

If you don't need the ability to roll the boat into a bag then a fibreglass hull will make the boat even better - better performance and a softer ride in the waves.

Whatever boat you get fit transom wheels that swing up either side of the engine - they are brilliant!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0263 (Small).JPG
Views:	244
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	16935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0188 (Small).JPG
Views:	258
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	16936  
Old 12 January 2006, 12:06   #3

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
i agree with codprawn, if its not an issue that you cant fold the boat up, the fibreglass hull would be much better than inflatable, more rigid, and gives more weight, so the boat bounces less on the waves, we have an aerotec 380 with 15hp suz, and its an inflatable hull, rigid, but inflatable, but the extra weight of a fibreglass hull would make passage much easier, and more surefooted!