Old 17 January 2011, 14:04   #1

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Twahtzoo 20hp
MMSI: 235906188
New Welshman with usual newbie question, sorry.

Hello to you all,

Usual story - After a couple of years lurking and acquiring a seriously GREAT wealth of knowledge and understanding on SIBBING – and general sea info on here (thank you all VERY much). It finally looks like I will be buying a new set up pretty soon.

I’m thinking a sib below 4M and a 20HP tohatsu OB - both brand new. I live in Aberdeen and am over on the West Coast of Scotland a fair bit. So want to take the boat on trips around (for example) the Summer Isles and onto beaches here and there in the coastal areas betwixt Ullapool and Lochinver – never more than a couple of miles or so out. Will be carrying myself, 1 x woman and 2 x children – ages 9 and 4 (have full safety gear, getting VHF).

I originally wanted a full airdeck (ease of use, weight) but am now partially coming round to a ply deck as it may give a bit more of a solid feel on the waves/wind along with the extra 10kg. Don’t want to scare the woman and children too much so will only be going out with them when the forecast is favourable and will be taking it as a cruise rather than a drag race. Boat will be transported in bag in roof box (hopefully), engine in boot.

So, anyway, I finally decided on zodiac cadet 340 solid – still *fairly* light and takes the 20hp. Boat’ll be a hint small though (any bigger ply floor would probably be too heavy to manage, all in)

BUT I keep looking back at the good old aerotec 380 and thinking if I save up a bit more I can get that nice “V” hull (bit more solid feel on waves??) and 3.8M SIB airdeck that will take a 20hp. Probably do better with a 25 but thats off the scale weight and cashwise.

I did see that honda do a 3.8 “V” hull airdeck that takes 20hp but reckoned (perhaps wrongly) that the “V” keel was not as pronounced as with the aerotec.

So, usual SIBNET newbie question, what would you guys do?? If the “V” hull of the aerotec makes a BIG difference then I shall go for that – but it’s a fairly big £1000 of difference it would have to make over a solid ply floor – if you know what I mean. I am right on the brink of purchase here, so a touch anxious.

Having been brought up in Dafen (literally over the hedge from the Avon factory) and staring at their boats as I grew up I really wanted an avon but they are a wee bit too pricey for me just now – I know the hyperlon is worth it though. My future RIB will be an avon for sure.

Is it worth strapping the 2 childs together with duct tape for ease of recovery from sea? I think they float.

Where's fellow Welshy codprawn gone?

Cheers to all for any opinions/info/advice/sarcasm/offers of free boats.

Squiddy
Old 17 January 2011, 14:14   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddy View Post
Hello to you all,

Cheers to all for any opinions/info/advice/sarcasm/offers of free boats.

Squiddy
For a newbie, that is a particularly insightful question. Having spoken with him fairly recently, my impression was that he got a life...

I'm getting one for my birthday

Someone useful will be along shortly to assist with the rest of your query.

Welcome to rib net, btw.
Old 17 January 2011, 14:18   #3

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Whatever you get, get inside boat seats (thwart seats or similar). Sitting in the floats is too much adventure for kids.

I believe that mounting-dismounting is better with V- hull rather than Alu floors. I prefer Alu floor just because I mount-dismount my boat once a year.

Get a trolley for that engine. Get another (or wheels) fro the boat.

Cheers.
Old 17 January 2011, 14:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
For a newbie, that is a particularly insightful question. Having spoken with him fairly recently, my impression was that he got a life...

I'm getting one for my birthday

Someone useful will be along shortly to assist with the rest of your query.

Welcome to rib net, btw.
Thank you very much!!

I wouldnt say "insightful" - it just shows how long I have been doing the lurking!

Got a life? Tsk tsk! i'd much rather have a new boat!

squids
Old 17 January 2011, 14:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
Whatever you get, get inside boat seats (thwart seats or similar). Sitting in the floats is too much adventure for kids.

I believe that mounting-dismounting is better with V- hull rather than Alu floors. I prefer Alu floor just because I mount-dismount my boat once a year.

Get a trolley for that engine. Get another (or wheels) fro the boat.

Cheers.
No - they wouldnt last 2 seconds sitting on the floats even on dry land!

I will indeed be getting (inflatable) wheels for the boat ( one thing I have learned here). 20hp engine is 52kg ( 2.3 hernias) , same as 15hp. Should be able to drag this about with only a few major forseeable problems! I work at a hospital so could prebook the hernia op for my return after summer.

So many things to buy as well as main kit and I am seriously about to blow this entire year's weapons budget, so to speak.
Old 17 January 2011, 15:42   #6

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
Nose weight can be a little high on some boats, when on rear wheels, limiting how far you can roll with them on shore.

My 3.6m yamaha yam360 (zodiac) with 20hp 2 smoke on the rear is heavy on the nose, as the wheels are right at the back. But managable, just. Heavy aluminium floor model, Engine is 50kg. You will not carry engine far, I can do 10 feet or so max, and I am 87kg 6'1" .. I use a engine carrier frame all the time, and trailer the boat...

Getting engine from boat to frame, etc, is not that easy, and you can drop them hurting your self in the process (or killing small creatures your engine falls onto, dogs, or more important things!)...... 52kg is the max most normal sized people can safely lift the 10 inchs off the transem.... I am sure some of my farmer friends could do this all day long..........

BTW The ali floor on my boat is heavier than the boat it's self, when in the bag I can not lift the floor bag......
Old 17 January 2011, 20:26   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Good to see another Sosban on board.

Have you thought about getting a second hand Avon instead of a new Honwave/Zodiac? An S3.40/S4.00 Sportsboat or an R3.40/3.80 Rover should do the job. They come up quite often on e-bay.
Old 17 January 2011, 20:29   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Good to see another Sosban on board.
Add a Bordsmoothio, we'll nearly have a full cupboard.
Old 17 January 2011, 20:33   #9

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
, my impression was that he got a life...
And a darn good business. I booked a 'Cod-shift' collection last week, it was gone within an hour at a good price.
Old 17 January 2011, 20:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I booked a 'Cod-shift' collection last week, it was gone within an hour
That's pretty much expected of a jack.
Old 17 January 2011, 20:57   #11

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
My brother has a 4.6m Avon and its a nice boat, can fit the boat and floor into the boot of the Volvo easy although it does take two people to carry the boat.
Doesn't take him long to pump it up and apparently goes ok with a 25hp on the back.
Old 18 January 2011, 08:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
My brother has a 4.6m Avon and its a nice boat, can fit the boat and floor into the boot of the Volvo easy although it does take two people to carry the boat.
Doesn't take him long to pump it up and apparently goes ok with a 25hp on the back.
Do you mean your brother's back?
I would not expect help from a wife...

Go for something lighter. Second-hand 2 strokes are. Otherwise if going for 4 strokes Honda BF20 is quite light (and even though...too heavy).
I would go for a 15HP 2 strokes short tail second hand.
Alu floor has an advantage: 2 packages (boat + floor) are easier to move.
And get an electric pump.
Old 18 January 2011, 15:55   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:

Squiddy
He was Englixh! Anymore of that Nonsense and I'.ll have you chucked out of the FWA.

Welcome aboard I'm back in Wakes at the moment and with you , me and Dai we could form a choir.

My Little Boy , who really knows his stuff, Had an Aerotec and a 25hp Yammie 4 stroke, he didn't reckon the hull at high speed so he sold it and Bought a Futura Mk 2 which was a much better sea boat than the Aerotec.

His Futura was a lovely rig and I must admit I could see the logic and the fun of being able to stick it all in the back of his little car and take off
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2011, 16:31   #14

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Add a Bordsmoothio, we'll nearly have a full cupboard.
Not forgetting the "Popty ping"

Welcome along squiddy Darkest North Pembs here.....I'd second Brads comment re second-hand Avons, but then I would, I'm half Cardi

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2011, 06:57   #15

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Do you mean your brother's back?
I would not expect help from a wife...
Eh?
Old 19 January 2011, 13:40   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
He was Englixh! Anymore of that Nonsense and I'.ll have you chucked out of the FWA.
Oh no – sorry! Assumed an Englixhman would never choose to live in Abertawe?!? FWA – Free Wales Army?? Don’t worry, when the sign is given I will be straight back down to Llanelli to take up arms. I’m also missing the rissole, chips and gravy. and pastys!

Thank you all for the very hearty welcome!!! Good to see so many of my brethren on here.

Well, after more sitting about on the fence, the 340 solid has been eliminated and we are left with a clear winner – aerotec 380 and a Nissan 20hp. Just got to be a Nissan .
The 340s is a *touch* small and 10kg heavier than airdeck. I am guessing that landing back on the beach after falling in the sea for 5 hours that 10kg will be a big 10kg.

Tohatsu 20 is 52kg, same as 15hp so have been practising lifting 50kg+ gas cylinders all day yesterday – shouldn’t be a problem, 99% of the time will have crew with me anyway. I will get a trolley in future. Thinking at some point I could also ‘tinker’ the 20 to a 25hp????????????

When I get my SIB knowledge badge and know a great deal more about it all, I will get a second hand avon – just to keep the Dafen posse happy. The avon factory hasn’t changed since I was a nipper – do they still hand make everything? You’d have thought they would give their friendly next door neighbours a new free boat wouldn’t you?? My aunty worked there for a while too!!!

Will let yous all now how I get on. If anyone spots a second hand aerotec or a ‘hatsu 20hp – please give me a shout. Will probably buy new, but cant resist a bargain.

Cheers all.
Old 19 January 2011, 14:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Eh?
So sorry Chewy...
"and apparently goes ok with a 25hp on the back"

Also I have so many funny stories with wife 'bout carrying heavy things...best way to hook girls:
"May you help me in the restroom? Doc has forbidden me to load any heavy weight".
Old 19 January 2011, 14:44   #18

Quote:
So sorry Chewy...
"and apparently goes ok with a 25hp on the back"

Also I have so many funny stories with wife 'bout carrying heavy things...best way to hook girls:
"May you help me in the restroom? Doc has forbidden me to load any heavy weight".
SiB related wimmin trapper:

"Oh, hi there my lovely. As you may have noticed - I just single handedly managed to get this all swollen up on the beach, its a beauty isn't it? Anyway, just wondering if you could give me a hand getting it REALLY REALLY wet? Before the sun goes away like - chop chop. Oh and tell yer gorgeous friend to grab that outboard while she's at it. May I also say, thats a lovely blouse your wearing."

NEVER fails.
Old 19 January 2011, 15:03   #19

Power tilt mandatory, man.
Old 19 January 2011, 19:16   #20

Quote:
I will be straight back down to Llanelli to take up arms. I’m also missing the rissole, chips and gravy.
Rissoles from the Savoy.