Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Shurely shome mishtake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Gawd 'elp us!

Tacsi anyone?
Rissoles from the Old Sayoy are infinitely preferebale than Rssoles from the Old Sod
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2011, 15:59   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Rssoles from the Old Sod
Charming.
Old 26 January 2011, 16:41   #24

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddy View Post
...Tohatsu 20 is 52kg, same as 15hp so have been practising lifting 50kg+ gas cylinders all day yesterday – shouldn’t be a problem...
Ah well, wait until you've tried it for proper. Trouble with outboards is that they are not an easy carry, they poke yer thighs, trap yer fingers, whack yer in the bozz when you stub yer toe on a rock...and more.
More seriously, if you're going off shore a way a wee sib can be very hard work if you need to face a head wind for any distance. My first rubber boat was very similar to your plans but it only lasted a season.. 4 miles into a force 4 with wife n kids in the boat could be the last time wife and kids will get into the boat. Good luck. On the west coast, force fours arrive within minutes of it being flat calm.
Old 27 January 2011, 07:01   #25

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
BUT I keep looking back at the good old aerotec 380 and thinking if I save up a bit more I can get that nice “V” hull (bit more solid feel on waves??) and 3.8M SIB airdeck that will take a 20hp. Probably do better with a 25 but thats off the scale weight and cashwise.

I've cruised the parts your looking at all me days, and I'd suggest a couple of miles from home, in these parts as fairly adventurous in a SIB, not if you know you are going to get a decent spell, it certainly happens, but getting it together with your chosen time off is much rarer, so the best performing hull is essential, because it can really change quickly, so much so that when going through the summer Isles back to main land, I have entered a weather system and left it before I got home, thats what it can be like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
My first rubber boat was very similar to your plans but it only lasted a season.. 4 miles into a force 4 with wife n kids in the boat could be the last time wife and kids will get into the boat. Good luck. On the west coast, force fours arrive within minutes of it being flat calm.
Yes a few wrong choices/gambles or unforseen changes in the weather can have lasting consequences .. my advice would be to pick locations to launch, and stick closer to home to start with until you get a feel for the weather/conditions, theres not a huge amount of launch areas from beaches etc that are accesible for a padestrian with heavy kit, but there are a few and slips here and there that have islands you can explore reasonably closely, It just takes a while to find them, but of course the real exploration gems are always that much further away - thats just boating
Old 27 January 2011, 11:47   #26

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Twahtzoo 20hp
MMSI: 235906188
Thanks for replies guys, I'll be spending 90% of my SIB time on the Scottish lochs anyway - just a couple summer trips to the west coast's inshore bays. Have done loads of inflatable boating in my time, just never with an engine.

I know things get rough quick out there, I was out a few miles last summer in a crappy inflatable canoe, I entered a secluded bay few miles north from the cottage and saw something floating close by, moved it about with my paddle to discover it was half a baby seal, just the head and shoulders - thought I was about to be chomped by an orca so left bay at full steam ahead (about 1.3mph). The fairly large swells were good fun, dificult to keep my bottle of mojito upright. Emergency equipment consisted of a Life jacket, extra snouts + spare lighter, pair of flippers incase things went really bad or i dropped the paddle!!!

As you see - a 3.8M sib with 20hp will seem like the royal yacht to me. I'll just make sure to take things VERY easy and not go to far out. Will work up to a Summer isles trip, when the forecast is favourable - probably just go in the areas where I was canoeing, even at 1.3 mph, the shore was always close at hand.

I will just have to keep in mind that the engine can put me places I may not want to be very quickly, if you see what I mean.

Here's a pic of me (taking it easy at the back) and crew after long slow paddle up Loch Etive, very dark and deep Scottish Fjord - for those that dont know. It has a monster kelpie in it as well (see 2nd photo), they all do. The downloch leg of the journey was done in complete darkness SBS style, 2am on a moonless night after far too much whisky.

All this talk of rissoles is making me very homesick boyos - any chance you could courier me up some Rissole chips and gravy????

Cheers all ,

SquiDzzz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cubans.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	56746   Click image for larger version

Name:	myself and kelpie.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	56747  
Old 27 January 2011, 13:47   #27

Sorry, couple more pics - Taken August 08 - loch Laidon.

First one shows that, in Scotland you dont need an engine on a SIB. Just chuck up the tarp on a tentpole and off you go. Thats two guys + equipment in a tiny 2M "shighthawk" towing an inflatable canoe with 1 guy + equipment. Was not a great deal of wind but got us miles up the loch without paddling.

Second is camp site - who needs a tent? Note the compulsory bottle of LAGAVULIN, IMO the finest of all Scotland's firewater.

Third shows why you need a tent in August on Rannoch Moor. Thats dead midgies stuck to our grill after just an hour or so. As you all probably know, If you go to Rannoch Moor or infact anywhere in Scotland, remember the midgy nets, i dont go anywhere without mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailingtowing.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	56750   Click image for larger version

Name:	camp.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	56751   Click image for larger version

Name:	midge.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	56752  
Old 27 January 2011, 17:25   #28

Quote:
Note the compulsory bottle of LAGAVULIN, IMO the finest of all Scotland's firewater.
I swear that stuff can mend the sole of any man .. it can only be bettered by the same, but double matured IMO... what a drachm indeed .. anyways mind you dont lose it over the side in loch Etive .. its a long way down to the bottom
Old 27 January 2011, 21:46   #29

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Dont know why but John Rambo and Firewater springs to mind. Whatever floats ya boat I suppose.
Old 28 January 2011, 14:28   #30

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I swear that stuff can mend the sole of any man
Cobblers
Old 28 January 2011, 16:43   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Cobblers
lol .. was that river cobbler .. doh
Old 31 January 2011, 15:02   #32

I have a boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I swear that stuff can mend the sole of any man .. it can only be bettered by the same, but double matured IMO... what a drachm indeed .. anyways mind you dont lose it over the side in loch Etive .. its a long way down to the bottom
Dont think I have had the pleasure of the double matured, bet thats a few quid. I also tend to get through a fair bit of Laphroaig, preferably the 1/4 cask, nice. Bit cheaper than the Lagavulin too.

VERY long way down to bottom of Loch Etive, I was going to run the new boat and engine there for its first trip but if I accidentally drop the engine - it'll never be seen again!! Suppose I could tie it on.

Anyway, GOOD NEWS - I have bought a boat. Found one on ebay, aerotec 3.80 from March 2010 USED TWICE + trailer (barely used, 100miles) + 6hp merc (10 hours use) + anchor, SS launching wheels, life jacket etc etc all for the same price as a new Aerotec. Put in offer last night, confirmation i had won this morning - 'king well chuffed!

Will use the 6hp a few times on the lochs before I trade it in for a 20hp 'hatsu.

See you out there gentlemen and ladies. Oh! and prepare thineselves for the myriad of other stupid newbie type queries that I will produce over the next few months/years.

cheers all.

squidderz