Old 19 May 2016, 14:11   #41

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>being imported to the UK and... + popcorn

Bit unkind Willk. There have been many posts about getting hold of these new Tohatsu models with at least a couple of others who already have them... so negativity not really needed when Duggie is flushed with excitement in receiving his and openly telling the tale.

For me what morally justifies this is that the law allows them for commercial use... why? Commercial users put far more hours on their outboards than us leisure fellows so if they pollute then there's more of it... and also they have an ability through the business to justify funding a replacement to upgrade to 4-stroke more easily than the private user.

>>> ...is there any updated tech going into them? Still after a 25 hp stroke with the weight of a 15 and fuel consumption of a 4S..

Well Max yes there is re weight reduction and tech involved these days... that's why my 44kg Suzuki 20 is little extra effort to move after the 36kg old 15hp's... and with its ECU mapping has very substantial grunt with a snapped open throttle yet retains good cruise consumption. So pretty close to the performance of an old 25 yet close to as useable as an old 15. And best of all no Aerotec splash!
Old 19 May 2016, 14:48   #42
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Bit unkind Willk. There have been many posts about getting hold of these new Tohatsu models with at least a couple of others who already have them... so negativity not really needed when Duggie is flushed with excitement in receiving his and openly telling the tale.
A bit unkind? I was just highlighting the facts. The 2006 engine Duggie was sold (which would be legal) is in fact a 2015. I believe I congratulated him on it's freshness. I use one myself and have no issue with very limited pollution. There have been other threads here about bringing these new motors in from outside the EU - there's even an argument that such a route may be legal. Selling them in the UK as 2006 old stock certainly falls outside the existing law and I wouldn't want that to go unmentioned on this thread - after all, someone else reading it may think that it's all kosher and later be horrified that no-one on here was unkind enough to point it out. The issue of warranty didn't even get mentioned. A "new" 2006 engine comes with a warranty (or should). This will have a red light warranty so far as Tohatsu is concerned. That wouldn't stop me buying one though....

Old 19 May 2016, 14:59   #43

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

>>> ...is there any updated tech going into them? Still after a 25 hp 2 stroke with the weight of a 15 and fuel consumption of a 4S..

Well Max yes there is re weight reduction and tech involved these days... that's why my 44kg Suzuki 20 is little extra effort to move after the 36kg old 15hp's... and with its ECU mapping has very substantial grunt with a snapped open throttle yet retains good cruise consumption. So pretty close to the performance of an old 25 yet close to as useable as an old 15. And best of all no Aerotec splash!
Yes, but I meant new tech for four stroke.
Old 19 May 2016, 15:25   #44

Town: abergele
Boat name: all mine
Make: ribtec 3m
Engine: tohatsu 9.8 hp 2st
I got mine new I think it was about 18 months ago , I got a full warranty but only for 12 months,
Old 19 May 2016, 15:41   #45

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Well done duggie that sounds a good deal on a 'cheeky new' 9.8, should go well on your F-Rib.
I have a 2006 one, bought around 4 years ago for just under a grand (more than the receipt price when new) unseen on flea bay - looked immac. took a chance, and thankfully it was.
Great little motors, nearly 10hp for only 26kg and runs as sweet as a sewing machine. Can't imagine ever wanting to sell it to be honest.
Hope you enjoy your new motor.
Old 19 May 2016, 15:52   #46

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Yes, but I meant new tech for four stroke.

I'm guessing you mean new tech for 2-stroke?? Assuming so the Evinrude E-tec has a go at making a clean running 25hp 2-stroke... but for some reason they've got its weight "up" to 75kg!

Willk I reckon Duggie bought from the Gumtree guy who made no mention of year but just called them "Brand new unused". Still doesn't change the warranty situation which... like you... if I wanted one I'd not worry about that on these motors.

I have to be honest that in the past I've queried the warranty/resale issues with these gey Tohatsu imports ... but have mellowed with age... so what the hell it's a great engine just get one and enjoy!
Old 19 May 2016, 16:35   #47

Town: Wrexham
Looking to swap my Tohatsu 18hp for a 9.8 if anyone is interested?
Old 19 May 2016, 18:58   #48

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
@Fenlander - yes, 2 stroke, doh...!
Old 19 May 2016, 23:34   #49

I never even gave the legality issue any thought. To be honest I'm not bothered. Not fussed about the warranty either, it's not as if it's an expensive car or whatever, even if it blew up tomorrow it's not the end of the world really

Anyway I'll let you know how it goes with the f rib, just waiting for a break in the weather !
Old 19 May 2016, 23:34   #50

P.s if it blows up tomorrow i will be furious
Old 20 May 2016, 06:00   #51

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Can't wait to see some pics and a report on your trip out, after a couple of sibs and outboards I realised the combo I was after was max power and size with minimum weight, after reading people rave about the 9.8 and finding you can get a brand new and boxed for a couple of hundred £ more, it seemed like a no brainer and to be honest for the amount of time I'm out on the water I can live with the little bit of extra pollution I'm adding to the sea, offset it against my hybrid car and solar panels.
I had a 6hp Mercury 4s which was a really nice quite motor which did not have that 2s smell but it felt really heavy and not very powerful and the fact you can only store it one way put the nail in its coffin, although people on ribnet are great and seem willing to bend over backwards to help you and I thank them all, but when you get knowledge your life of course gets more complicated as you then start having to make decisions . Not that that's a bad thing 😀
Old 20 May 2016, 15:32   #52

Town: Blakeney
Boat name: Lindy
Make: Avon
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Tohatsu 2 stroke.

Ah, the CE mark. Good old EU and their regulations.
Old 09 June 2016, 21:45   #53

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I bought one from the dealer in Alderney a while ago and the total cost was £1650 including duty etc and delivery to my door.
I've had no issues with the engine, l use it on my Zodiac 285s and it goes like a rocket, planing without delay and achieving close to 20mph with two of us on board.