Old 05 June 2011, 17:40   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
New Tender

I sold my little 1.8m roundtail I used for getting ashore from the RIB earlier this year, it was a bit small and I couldn't use the aux instead of paddling.
I ordered a Wetline 2.6m eco and now its arrived thinks its just a bit too big and heavy to handle, however the supplier sent me a Waveco 2.6m by mistake so sending it back isn't too much of a problem.
Looking at the various options available in the 2.3-2.4m size range I like the Seago Ranger and possibly the Wetline Eco 2.3m. There are airdeck options available and I was wondering if these stow smaller and are easier to pump up and down?
I am looking for something easy to pump and deflate, small and light enough to stow up front and at a resonable price, although I don't mind paying a bit extra for longevity and robustness. It probably gets pulled out and used about half a dozen times a year and spends most of its time chucked in the back of the shed.
Any recommendations for something suitable? I have been trawling the net looking for something to replace the incorrectly supplied one that arrived Friday afternoon and need something by next week before a trip to Orkney so it can be something too outlandish, needs to be in stock somewhere.
Any recommendations gratefully received.......
Old 05 June 2011, 18:09   #2

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
I how about one of the small plastimo dinghys Bruce? They do a 2.0 meter slatted floor one that can be had for £300 and only weights 20kgs.

Plastimo Raid Tender P200 - Marine Dinghy in Grey or Yellow - Marine Super Store
Old 05 June 2011, 18:13   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
I just bought one... had to be yellow for the colour matching with the Rib!
Ebay - less than a year old and a bargain at £140.00
Picking it up tomorrow so will post a better pic of what its like.
Old 05 June 2011, 18:22   #4

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Pics would be good. I'm pretty sold on one too. Should nip along ok with my 3.3 on it.
Old 05 June 2011, 18:33   #5

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I sold my little 1.8m roundtail I used for getting ashore from the RIB earlier this year, it was a bit small and I couldn't use the aux instead of paddling.
The Wetline Pile Cushion, one step-up from the Argos two child blow-up boat.
Old 05 June 2011, 19:45   #6
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
The Wetline Pile Cushion, one step-up from the Argos two child blow-up boat.
Old 05 June 2011, 19:45   #7

Actually it was quite robust, was easy to carry and inflate and was quite useable. I bought it secondhand, used it for two years and sold it again for £5 more than I paid for it.
The only reason I sold it is that the dog needs to come in the tender now as he is 15 and getting quite blind, can't get him to swim back and forth now as he can't see the boat or beach anymore!
Something slightly larger that will take the 2.3 Honda would be handy, just not sure whether air deck makes it easier to stow or smaller in any way as I have always used slatted versions.
Old 05 June 2011, 20:11   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
The only reason I sold it is that the dog needs to come in the tender now as he is 15 and getting quite blind, can't get him to swim back and forth now...
Quote:
...and I couldn't use the aux instead of paddling.
Yeah, no-one's getting any younger, eh Bruce?
Old 05 June 2011, 20:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Yeah, no-one's getting any younger, eh Bruce?
Unfortunately true, but the main reason is that is quite difficult to row a very small boat with an overactive collie jumping around. It will be much easier to keep hold of him with one hand and grab the tiller with the other..........this is the voice of experience talking
Old 09 June 2011, 18:46   #10

I ended up buying a Wetline 2.7m with slatted floor, they were a fantastic deal.
However when it turned up is was a cheapo Wav Eco copy. This is awaiting pickup for return and when I inflated it to see it up it turned out to be too big and heavy for what I needed anyway.
Back to the drawing board as obviously the Wetline replacement would be just as big and heavy so, looked around and bought a Seago Ranger 2.4m which turned up today. I had asked about the airdeck version and paid the extra to get this after having them check with the factory on whether the airdeck was removeable or not. (I specifically didn't want a removeable version but one that produces a modicum of keel by being fixed in along the keel)
The floor is completely removeable and is exactly what I didn't want and checked for before ordering!
This will have to go back now so two to collect for the courier tomorrow for return.
Now the next version is the Seago Ranger 2.4m with slatted deck but at least I get some money back!
Third time lucky!
Old 15 June 2011, 14:16   #11
RIBnet supporter

hi... so I got my Plastimo P200
£142 from Ebay ..
not the best of pics.
Its CE - C category rated ... although not sure I fancy testing those limits.
More importantly - ITS YELLOW!
and it feels very well put together. A very solid Transom arrangement.
Another first...when deflated it fits back into its valise - amazing ... who would have thought. That valise is 1 metre by about 40cm x 30 cm and it should tuck under my console although not tried that yet.
Think its going to be fine for what I want. Expecially chuffed as they cost so much new - £300. I do see the odd gray coloured one come up from time to time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0220.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	60190  
Old 16 June 2011, 06:49   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Original and still the best. With slatted floor - it comes to around 20kg. It's now over 20 years old and doesn't have a patch. Avon Redcrest Inflatable Dinghy | eBay UK
The outboard bracket costs over £90.
Old 22 February 2012, 17:58   #13

Town: Nantwich
Boat name: TBC
Make: TBC
Length: under 3m
Engine: TBC
Quote:
I ended up buying a Wetline 2.7m with slatted floor, they were a fantastic deal.
However when it turned up is was a cheapo Wav Eco copy. This is awaiting pickup for return and when I inflated it to see it up it turned out to be too big and heavy for what I needed anyway.
Back to the drawing board as obviously the Wetline replacement would be just as big and heavy so, looked around and bought a Seago Ranger 2.4m which turned up today. I had asked about the airdeck version and paid the extra to get this after having them check with the factory on whether the airdeck was removeable or not. (I specifically didn't want a removeable version but one that produces a modicum of keel by being fixed in along the keel)
The floor is completely removeable and is exactly what I didn't want and checked for before ordering!
This will have to go back now so two to collect for the courier tomorrow for return.
Now the next version is the Seago Ranger 2.4m with slatted deck but at least I get some money back!
Third time lucky!
I'm in the same pickle at the moment. They want to sell me a waveco instead of a wetline eco and say they are identical in spec and even from the same factory but reading the above post makes me worried. Do you know for sure the waveco is a cheap copy of a wetline?