Old 04 November 2014, 10:09   #1
mrr

Make: XS ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury F 150hp
new Suzuki DF 30A vs evinrude etec 30

Could you share your advice, user experience on the Suzuki DF30A or the ETEC 30hp?

Looking for a outboard of 30 HP with tiller. For us is important: reliable, fuel economy and weight (no trailer). Suzuki DF30A and the ETEc 30 are the lightest 30 HP I could find.
We will use it on a zodiac futura MK II or MK III fastroller in coastal areas (North Sea, Scotland, U.K., Holland). Range: upto 20 km (14 miles) from the coast, (if conditions allow).

The suzuki is a new outboard, less weight than the etec. Is there a reason why I should go for the etec or the suzuki? I could not find any user experience or credible tests on the suzuki df30A. The etec 30 seems to have a proven track record.

What I like:
Suzuki DF 30a: new outboard, best technology? No battery, no carburator, fuel injection, lean burn, 4 stroke. Lightest 30hp outboard (long shaft: 63 kg, 139 lbs)
Con: could not find tests, user reports/reviews on the internet

Etec 30 Hp: proven track record of being a good outboard, no battery, no carb, fuel injection, no maintenance for 3 yrs/300 hrs, 2 stroke.
Con: more weight, Long shaft 70 kg, 154 lbs

What is your experience with the etec or the suzuki?
How about maintenance costs?
Reliability? (very important)
Fuel economy?
Power?

Thanks!
(life is about compromises, please do not discuss that we have to trailer , unfortunately this is not possible for us. If we are at sea 10 miles from the coast with heavy diving equipment, I prefer some extra HP - and endure the weight penalty from a 30 HP outboard)
Old 04 November 2014, 10:16   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I recently looked at similar question. Which new 25 Hp engine.

Went for a merc /mariner in the end ( The new Suzuki was just too expensive with PTT & elec start for me - but if in budget would be my choice) .

What I decided.

4 stroke EFI with no need for a battery seemed the most 'future proof'

No need to add or carry any oil to top up tanks etc

While the Suzuki is 'untested' I'd suggest as a 'type' the new Japanese engines are very hard to beat.

Etecs I am sure have good 'grunt' - but for me are too heavy for small engine and going in a different direction to the rest of the market - which either make them the best thing ever or the worst thing.....

Suzuki for me

Old 04 November 2014, 10:47   #3

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3

Might be wrong but isn't the DF30 only available with electric start, pushing the weight up to 72kg and therefore battery required. The 25 is available manual start and 62/63kg.
The battery less EFI was rolled out on the DF15/20's last year. I've had the 20hp for 18 months now, and has performed faultlessly so far with impressive fuel economy.
Old 04 November 2014, 11:04   #4

Town: Plymouth
My son has an Etec 25 on his boat and its brilliant. Smooth, powerful, reliable and its aged very well.

The only downside for me is its manual start and is heavy for him to pull over and start easily whilst onboard. He can manage it but only just. This is a concern, due to the type of boat (pic below). For this reason only, we are swapping it out for something with electric start.

I'd recommend E-TEC though over any other engine at that HP, bigger than 50hp and I'd go 4 stroke, with Yamaha or Suzuki my top pick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1415102440.433091.jpg
Views:	1770
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	100592

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale
07930 421007
www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 04 November 2014, 13:22   #5
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Might be wrong but isn't the DF30 only available with electric start, pushing the weight up to 72kg and therefore battery required. The 25 is available manual start and 62/63kg.
Thanks for pointing this out, you are right. The Suzuki df25A weights 62/63 kg, the DF30A as from 70 kg. So the weight advantage of the Suzuki over the etec 30 is gone.
The 3 yrs/300 hours no maintenance of the Etec 30 is very tempting.
The 7 kg less weight of the Suzuki DF25A as well. I loose 5 HP. Don't know if that makes a big difference.
Old 04 November 2014, 17:51   #6

Town: Hereford
You'll be lying the engine on it's side if you're not using a trailer? The etec's got rubber bumpers to rest on (and no engine oil to leak out if somebody gets it wrong).

I've only run my etec 30hp in my shed on a hose and it takes a determined pull to start it, I can lift it onto the transom on my own but I wouldn't want to carry it down a beach wearing flip-flops

Jim
Old 04 November 2014, 18:05   #7
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhunter View Post
You'll be lying the engine on it's side if you're not using a trailer? The etec's got rubber bumpers to rest on (and no engine oil to leak out if somebody gets it wrong).Jim
We will transport the engine on an outboard trolly in a mini van.
If the outboard does not leak oil when lying on its side, that is an advantage.
Old 04 November 2014, 18:27   #8

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
My son has an Etec 25 on his boat and its brilliant. Smooth, powerful, reliable and its aged very well.

The only downside for me is its manual start and is heavy for him to pull over and start easily whilst onboard. He can manage it but only just. This is a concern, due to the type of boat (pic below). For this reason only, we are swapping it out for something with electric start.

I'd recommend E-TEC though over any other engine at that HP, bigger than 50hp and I'd go 4 stroke, with Yamaha or Suzuki my top pick.

Attachment 100592

07930 421007
BoatsandOutboards4Sale | Hand-picked boats & motors, fully tested, delivered nationwide.
Why not just convert it to electric start? Sounds cheaper and is pretty easy to do. Plus it leaves you with two ways to start the boat. Does the motor already have the charging coils? For my old Evinrude I only had to add in a rectifier/regulator.
Old 04 November 2014, 18:47   #9

Town: Plymouth

The starter motor kit is in excess of £700 as it requires the flywheel changed too - so we aim to swap it out for another, one will turn up sooner or later, no rush

07930 421007
www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 04 November 2014, 19:07   #10

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
The starter motor kit is in excess of £700 as it requires the flywheel changed too - so we aim to swap it out for another, one will turn up sooner or later, no rush
Bummer, my swap was only cheap in comparison with a new $80 starter, plus the solenoid and starter button. Everything else needed I had in stock, wiring etc. I already had a battery system.

Maybe you can find a trade? Never hurts to ask. I removed the starter kit from my friends previous outboard to lighten it up.
Old 14 January 2015, 08:03   #11
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
The battery less EFI was rolled out on the DF15/20's last year. I've had the 20hp for 18 months now, and has performed faultlessly so far with impressive fuel economy.
I just ordered a suzuki Df30 AQHL which is manual start.
There is a comparison between the DF25A and DF30A. It is Italian, at the end of the video they race against eachother. there is a slight advantage for the Df30A in topspeed over the Df25 (in the tested configuration)