Old 08 February 2009, 20:44   #1

Length: 3m +
New SIB owner

Hello again folks, thanks to the users on this site and the info on it I have now made an informed choice and have purchased the new 2009 zodiac zoom sport 3.50s

The SIB will be mainly used for fishing on the large inland lochs and sea lochs in Scotland, I choose the zoom over the QS as it had more width and sold floor.

The boat is stored in a large closet, when not being used does anyone know if it is better to get it inflated every few weeks if not in use to save "crease" wear on the fabric or is the fabric up to being folded down. Any advice on looking after and maintaining would helpful to a nube.

I have a pressure gauge that came with a sevylor kayak that I have it goes to 3.5 psi and that is the recommended pressure for this SIB, however the adaptor that screws into it is for "standard" boston valves, any advice on where to get the correct adaptor for a zodiac would also be helpful.

What is the best way to know that I have reached the correct pressure if I cannot use a gauge also how would I be able to know if the inflatable keel was correctly pressured as it is below the ply floor.

P.S malthouse offered me a great price on QS 340s inflatable floor, I had to rule it out the QS as it is only 152 wide the zoom had more floorspace and width and I needed a solid floor for fishing activities.

Great site hopefully some day I will be able to be assist the nubes myself.

Cheers Brian.
Old 08 February 2009, 20:53   #2

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
I use a pump with a gauge on it like one of these - http://www.rib-shop.com/prodtype.asp...=yes&PT_ID=127
Old 08 February 2009, 21:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
I use a pump with a gauge on it like one of these - http://www.rib-shop.com/prodtype.asp...=yes&PT_ID=127
Thanks fred, good site no shortage of adaptor options there thanks.

I wish I could afford one of them Bravo inflator pumps but alas don't think I could justify the outlay. Would anyone know if this was good enough to get my SIB inflated most of the way with a final top up on the foot/hand pump.

Link

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C12108140.htm
Old 09 February 2009, 00:53   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I don't know how good a rechargable will be - i use a cheap and nasty 12v pump to get the volume of air in and then use a stirrup type pump to finish off. They can be bought for about £10 from most camping places. They shift quite a bit of air as they are dual action - also use it on my big RIB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airpump.gif
Views:	174
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	40397  
Old 13 February 2009, 08:47   #5

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hello Brian

When I first got my SIB, about 8 years ago (crikey how time flies), I stored it deflated. I used to transport it in the car (Mondeo Estate) and then I'd have to inflate it, use it, deflate it and take it home. Then I started to store it inflated so that it didn't keep getting folded and creased. This meant that I'd have to deflate it, pack it into the car, inflate it to use it, deflate it to get it home then inflate it again. Despite having an electric pump (but I always used the manual styrrup pump for the last few 'blows') it was a real pain in the butt.

So I purchased a De Graaff SIB trailer and now I keep it inflated on the trailer. This means MUCH less fraffing about so it is easier to use the SIB and I get to spend more time on the water.

I would recommend keeping it inflated rather than folded, especially if it is in a cold environment. I felt that as the fabric was very cold and stiff (I use it in winter) it could cause problems if it was constantly being folded.

As for the pressure, when it's solid then it's ready! I was told that the stirrup pump adaptor will 'pop off' at the correct pressure. I always go a couple of pumps over that. As you say the QS has an 'airdeck' and that needs to be at a much higher pressure. Once again when it goes rigid then it's done.

The SIB now lives outside all year, (upturned on the trailer to keep the water out) and just gets pumped up a bit when I'm about to use it.

I live north of Inverness so if you fancy a SIB expedition Brian, give me a call.

Best of luck.

Keith (whatever happened to Crazyhorse) Hart
Old 13 February 2009, 08:49   #6

Sorry Brian I meant to put up a couple of pictures of the trailer...

Keith Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sib-trailer-1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	40486   Click image for larger version

Name:	sib-trailer-2.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	40487   Click image for larger version

Name:	sib-trailer-3.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	40488  
Old 13 February 2009, 13:24   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
You don't really need a proper boat trailer. Anything it will fit in will do - also turn it upside down and stick it on the car roof - without the engine of course!!!

Transom wheels are a godsend - they really are.
Old 13 February 2009, 17:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Hart View Post

Keith Hart
Hi Keith

Do the front keel and bow supports cause any undue wear to your tubes? I am considering making a bolt on attachment to my Laser1 dinghy trailer with a similar layout
Old 13 February 2009, 17:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
You don't really need a proper boat trailer. Anything it will fit in will do - also turn it upside down and stick it on the car roof - without the engine of course!!!

Transom wheels are a godsend - they really are.
But they are light and easily stored
Old 13 February 2009, 17:32   #10

Hello Fred

No. Take a better look at the trailer here.

I must say that my trailer has been great, easy to move the SIB around with and so convenient.

Keith Hart
Old 13 February 2009, 18:06   #11

Thanks Keith
Old 16 February 2009, 16:50   #12

Quote:
Hello Brian

When I first got my SIB, about 8 years ago (crikey how time flies), I stored it deflated. I used to transport it in the car (Mondeo Estate) and then I'd have to inflate it, use it, deflate it and take it home. Then I started to store it inflated so that it didn't keep getting folded and creased. This meant that I'd have to deflate it, pack it into the car, inflate it to use it, deflate it to get it home then inflate it again. Despite having an electric pump (but I always used the manual styrrup pump for the last few 'blows') it was a real pain in the butt.

So I purchased a De Graaff SIB trailer and now I keep it inflated on the trailer. This means MUCH less fraffing about so it is easier to use the SIB and I get to spend more time on the water.

I would recommend keeping it inflated rather than folded, especially if it is in a cold environment. I felt that as the fabric was very cold and stiff (I use it in winter) it could cause problems if it was constantly being folded.

As for the pressure, when it's solid then it's ready! I was told that the stirrup pump adaptor will 'pop off' at the correct pressure. I always go a couple of pumps over that. As you say the QS has an 'airdeck' and that needs to be at a much higher pressure. Once again when it goes rigid then it's done.

The SIB now lives outside all year, (upturned on the trailer to keep the water out) and just gets pumped up a bit when I'm about to use it.

I live north of Inverness so if you fancy a SIB expedition Brian, give me a call.

Best of luck.

Keith (whatever happened to Crazyhorse) Hart

Hi Keith thanks for the info, I've read some of your posts about your Sibbing exploits. I am now keeping the SIB in my brothers garage I had to fit a new roof to it as it was leaky and he's hopeless at DIY.

It will now be stored inflated, I cannot commit to a trailer and getting towball fitted yet as my brother could be selling his house sometime towards the end of the year. I still plan to pack it and carry it on roof bars, there will always be two of us using it and we've practiced setting up and taking down we can do it in 20 mins using the cordless inflater to get it most of the way.

I hope to give things a go on Loch Lomond this weekend, my main targets for fishing outings are Loch Lomond, Loch awe, Clyde estuary area, Gareloch, Loch Fyne, Loch long and Etive.

Who knows Keith maybe we could meet up on Etive when the nicer weather come in but I must warn you I'm hard core fishin but I don't suppose an extreme Sibbing jolly would'nt do me much harm.

P.S all the fittings on the zodiac are supposed to be stainless steel but how will the Sib hold up to being kept in a garage. I plan to cover it with a tarp is there anything else I need to do to stop mould etc.

Cheers Brian.
Old 16 February 2009, 19:36   #13

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:

Keith Hart
pic three looks the biz there for fishing and a nice boat set up there ,,,,,,,,,,oh roll on the better weather
Old 16 February 2009, 21:38   #14

Quote:
P.S all the fittings on the zodiac are supposed to be stainless steel but how will the Sib hold up to being kept in a garage. I plan to cover it with a tarp is there anything else I need to do to stop mould etc.
Brian I would advise that you do not cover it with a tarp, just keep it upside down (bottom up). That will stop anything collecting in the boat and after all it was designed to spend its life with the hull in the water! The best thing is to let the air circulate around it, a tarp will keep the damp in. If it gets a bit of dust on it all you have to do is hose it down. Mine lives outside all year upside down on its trailer.

Quote:
pic three looks the biz there for fishing and a nice boat set up there
That is at the bottom of my garden.

Keith Hart