Old 14 May 2023, 11:43   #1

Town: Swansea
Boat name: X pro
Make: 3d tender
Length: 3m +
Engine: 30hp 4 stroke
New sib needed

Hi all, I’m in a predicament, I’ve currently had 2 excel vanguard 365, one of them was made with a faulty floor so they replaced it with a new one. This one is also faulty can’t get it over 14 knots (with my new Suzuki 20hp) all trim positions done, weight distributions and raised the outboard to different heights and it still won’t get over 14knots and handles terribly. Not just mine either. There’s about 12 of us with the same problem. So this leads me to the next question, what shall I replace this with? Boatworld 365 carbon pro, zodiac cadet 350 alu or a seapro 340, all of which suit my 20hp and are still manageable for me to pull about and fit my trailer. Any other suggestions welcome just got to the point where I need a good boat that does what it should. Thanks all 😎 🎣
Old 14 May 2023, 11:51   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks87 View Post
Hi all, I’m in a predicament, I’ve currently had 2 excel vanguard 365, one of them was made with a faulty floor so they replaced it with a new one. This one is also faulty can’t get it over 14 knots (with my new Suzuki 20hp) all trim positions done, weight distributions and raised the outboard to different heights and it still won’t get over 14knots and handles terribly. Not just mine either. There’s about 12 of us with the same problem. So this leads me to the next question, what shall I replace this with? Boatworld 365 carbon pro, zodiac cadet 350 alu or a seapro 340, all of which suit my 20hp and are still manageable for me to pull about and fit my trailer. Any other suggestions welcome just got to the point where I need a good boat that does what it should. Thanks all [emoji41] [emoji476]
If you want better performance than an inflatable go to a rib, a rib will outperform a sib in every area apart from storage & price, the modern aluminium hull ribs are often lighter than an equivalent size sib but obviously loose out on foldability. Large sibs are are prone to flexing and feeling a bit jelly like & often too much hassle to pack away so folk end up using trailers anyway
Old 14 May 2023, 12:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
If you want better performance than an inflatable go to a rib, a rib will outperform a sib in every area apart from storage & price, the modern aluminium hull ribs are often lighter than an equivalent size sib but obviously loose out on foldability. Large sibs are are prone to flexing and feeling a bit jelly like & often too much hassle to pack away so folk end up using trailers anyway
Folding isn’t required anymore as I keep it on the drive on the trailer. Main issue is solo launching and pulling it up and down a slip way on the transom wheels. Also money, I’m already down £1400 from the faulty sib which I think is going be sorted in the near future. Regarding the rib option I have just forked out on a new short shaft so need something to suit that aswell. Thanks for the info 👌🏼
Old 14 May 2023, 14:16   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
If we establish you want another SIB with alloy floor for trailer use...

I am very keen on Boatworld as decent guys to deal with and like the look of the 365 Carbon Pro... but it's on July delivery.

I think buying new and for usual UK leisure use the Zodiac 350 Alu's £700 extra price is too much.

Dont forget the Honwave T35AE. I've had one and it was a well made solid SIB with some thoughtful features.

Re speed 14kts is a bit slow with a 20hp. But all these SIBs of this length/type will have a similar performance so I'm not sure a change will increase your speed that much... I assume it must be the load you carry??
Old 14 May 2023, 14:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
If we establish you want another SIB with alloy floor for trailer use...

I am very keen on Boatworld as decent guys to deal with and like the look of the 365 Carbon Pro... but it's on July delivery.

I think buying new and for usual UK leisure use the Zodiac 350 Alu's £700 extra price.

Dont forget the Honwave T35AE. I've had one and it was a well made solid SIB with some thoughtful features.

Re speed 14kts is a bit slow with a 20hp. But all these SIBs of this length/type will have a similar performance so I'm not sure a change will increase your speed that much... I assume it must be the load you carry??
Hi fenlander, yes the boat world 365 pro was my next option, withy the same engine as mine they are getting 22mph with two up, regarding the excel it’s nose diving and can’t keep it in a straight line so it’s not fit for purpose.

The zodiac cadet is lovely and Sonia the price tag but I’d imagine it’s a very good boat as is the honwave.

Other option was an ally rib, the 350 quicksilver is as light as the sib so was wondering about that if you have any experience with one. Still want transom wheels so I can man handle it about 👍🏻
Old 14 May 2023, 14:31   #6

Also re load, just me anchor and tackle. Not loaded up at all, with one other on board it was hitting 10 knots and wanted to go snorkelling haha
Old 14 May 2023, 14:40   #7

Ahh it sounds as if your hull is out of shape if it wants to bury it's nose as obviously you will have explore outboard trim changes and weight distribution.

Do you have a tach on the OB to know what the revs are at 14kts... no chance your prop pitch is too high??

I have no experience of the alloy lightweight RIBs but always like the look of them. They would be on my radar were it not that we are firmly operate from the back of the car folks.

BTW in my post above which I've edited I meant to say...the Zodiac 350 Alu's £700 extra price is too much.
Old 14 May 2023, 14:47   #8

Yes prop was too big so got new smaller prop, it’s pushing out the revs it should but nose diving. Tried all trims all weight distributions etc. where the tubes join it dips down to the bow rather than up which I think is causing the problems as well as the hull.

Yes that £700 extra is a lot. I was tempted by the sea pro 340 hd but they have put a £600 mark up since last year 😬

Boatworld 365 carbon I think will be the go for a sib but guna look into a similar size aly rib and see if anyone has experience with launching solo etc as I imagine with a larger solid hull it maybe hard to keep off the ground on transom wheels 🤷🏼*♂️ but unsure on that.
Old 14 May 2023, 14:59   #9

The standard alloy small Rib around 3.5/3.6m would be no problem re dimensions and hull shape for handling solo on transom wheels at the slip... except they may be slightly heavier than the usual alloy floor SIB of the same size but not by too much. There are some ultralight ones like the one below which is some 20kg lighter than the alloy floor SIBs. Damn expensive though.

https://oceanfirstmarine.co.uk/colle...rlight-rib-365
Old 14 May 2023, 15:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
The standard alloy small Rib around 3.5/3.6m would be no problem re dimensions and hull shape for handling solo on transom wheels at the slip... except they may be slightly heavier than the usual alloy floor SIB of the same size but not by too much. There are some ultralight ones like the one below which is some 20kg lighter than the alloy floor SIBs. Damn expensive though.

https://oceanfirstmarine.co.uk/colle...rlight-rib-365
Yes that was my thoughts as I keep it trailered as well it might be worth looking into.

They are a very nice looking rib those 3D tenders. Yes they are double the price of a sib but regarding quality performance and life span I wonder if it’s worth investing in something like this especially as I keep it on trailer.

Thanks for this link, I’ve looked at others and they are pretty much the same price but this is defo a lot lighter 👍🏻
Old 14 May 2023, 18:00   #11

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
I still think you cant beat the Honwaves
Old 14 May 2023, 18:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
I still think you cant beat the Honwaves
Havnt had a honwave but only ever heard good things. I’m going down the small rib route now. Either a 3D tender or high field if anyone has any thoughts on either or any other suggestions to help on search I’d be very grateful. Thanks guys 🤌🏽
Old 14 May 2023, 20:31   #13

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Yes that was my thoughts as I keep it trailered as well it might be worth looking into.

They are a very nice looking rib those 3D tenders. Yes they are double the price of a sib but regarding quality performance and life span I wonder if it’s worth investing in something like this especially as I keep it on trailer.

Thanks for this link, I’ve looked at others and they are pretty much the same price but this is defo a lot lighter [emoji1303]
In your position I think you'd be missing an opportunity if you didn't switch to a rib after the issues & realising you need a trailer. Even the best of the best sib will be no where near as good as a rib. The Gurnard did a write up on here somewhere of when he got his alu rib & found after years of extolling the virtues of his sib that his new rib was a game changer. The alu ribs are expensive but they will still be more expensive when you come to sell so ultimately the cost of ownership is probably the same although you do have to lay out more in the beginning you will always have an asset thats worth more.
We have a smaller ribeye aluminium rib & its better in every way than the excell air deck it replaced & lighter too.
Old 14 May 2023, 20:43   #14

Quote:
In your position I think you'd be missing an opportunity if you didn't switch to a rib after the issues & realising you need a trailer. Even the best of the best sib will be no where near as good as a rib. The Gurnard did a write up on here somewhere of when he got his alu rib & found after years of extolling the virtues of his sib that his new rib was a game changer. The alu ribs are expensive but they will still be more expensive when you come to sell so ultimately the cost of ownership is probably the same although you do have to lay out more in the beginning you will always have an asset thats worth more.
We have a smaller ribeye aluminium rib & its better in every way than the excell air deck it replaced & lighter too.
I’ve already decided haha going for the ally hull rib. I’m happy to pay more for performance and for not hold its value a little more. Looking at the 3D tender and high field around the 3.6m size which I think would pair well with my 20 Suzuki. Just need to find one now haha
Old 14 May 2023, 20:44   #15

Quote:
I’ve already decided haha going for the ally hull rib. I’m happy to pay more for performance and for it to hold its value a little more. Looking at the 3D tender and high field around the 3.6m size which I think would pair well with my 20 Suzuki. Just need to find one now. Can’t wait to see the difference in performance.
Old 14 May 2023, 20:49   #16

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
For what it's worth, I have a SIB because I have a caravan. If I didn't tow a caravan, I would definitely have a small <4.2m ally rib.
Old 14 May 2023, 21:02   #17

Yes def mate and I am now after pondering for a while it’s a no brainer just have to find one which is still manageable alone and goes well with my new 20hp ����
Old 14 May 2023, 21:51   #18

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Take a look at this thread by The Gurnard. Some good pics of a 380 Quicksilver, 20hp Merc and a mention of transom wheels by Matt h. Maybe worthwhile sending him a PM to get his thoughts on that set up he had.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/quicks...ble-83925.html
Old 15 May 2023, 05:18   #19

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Yes def mate and I am now after pondering for a while it’s a no brainer just have to find one which is still manageable alone and goes well with my new 20hp ����
If you can I would go a little bigger than the 3.6 you will not regret it. A 20 hp will easily power a small rib up to about 4 m.

The Gurnard uses a 25 on his 4.2.

My sib is also for when I am towing other things but I would not want to be without my Honwave T38 for many trips
Old 15 May 2023, 05:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Take a look at this thread by The Gurnard. Some good pics of a 380 Quicksilver, 20hp Merc and a mention of transom wheels by Matt h. Maybe worthwhile sending him a PM to get his thoughts on that set up he had.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/quicks...ble-83925.html
Just read this what a cracking read. Lots of good info there cheers for that mate. Decisions decisions

Tags
sib