Old 30 July 2012, 20:17   #11

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I have a HonWave T40 and a 20hp 2 stroke Yamaha, which I usually transport on a trailer.

But when towing my other boat I have to take it down. The engine is just about OK to move around with myself and 14 year old son. We can just about lift the boat when fully assembled, but I doubt we could lift it high enough to get it on a roof rack. With the floor boards removed its a piece of cake to move around.

I did have a 3.2m HonWave with the air floor, you couldnt remove the floor and although the total weight was less than the aluminium floor versions it was much more difficult to shift because you couldnt split it up. (Blowing it up was a doddle compared to the T40).

Old 31 July 2012, 02:56   #12

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Seriously chaps - bung it on the roof - cannot see what the fuss is about getting it up there, our 3.4m Zodiac weighs about 35kg (same as a child) - once you have tried it inflated on the roof not many would go back to all the inflating/assembly/de-flating/packing/inflating for cleaning/drying/deflating/packing..... SIB's are great for packing away in the boot for a long journey on holiday or whatever or freeing up space in the garage in the winter but for general use in the season roof top carrrying is so much easier, quicker and convenient in so many ways. Pics here:

Sib On Car Roof

As I noted re' engine a 4 stroke is a big lump and hassle to load in a boot due to the oil factor - a sub 36kg Yam 15 2 stroke makes much more sense.

Old 31 July 2012, 09:23   #13
@je

Well just for the sake of it i tried my yam 300 on the roof.
It is an old yam with wooden floor, not a very light one.
Getting it up the roof was no problem.
I put the back roof tail as far back as possible.
Put a blanket on the back window and just pushed the boat up there.
I think it is even easier than on the landy as the estate is much lower and the back window is on a perfect angle.

So maybe i have to adjust my quest for a 4m a bit and get a not too heavy 350.
For holidays i can then pack the boat up and put it on the roof racks folded up with 2 persons.
And for the fishing trips around the house i can just slide it up there on my own.

Currently i have a honda 8 hp wich is about 37 kg ( not the new version wich is 42).
I can get it in the car without much troubles.
My car has a flat loading boot so i just have to tip it over in the car.
Not much lifting is done.

How much difference will there be in pulling power ( pulling a tube for the children) between a 20hp honda or a 15 hp 2stroke yammy?

How is the quality on the zodiac 340?
Old 31 July 2012, 09:34   #14

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by @je View Post
How much difference will there be in pulling power ( pulling a tube for the children) between a 20hp honda or a 15 hp 2stroke yammy?

How is the quality on the zodiac 340?
Re' engine - well - it's 25% less power of course but pick up will be quicker and weight less. As for Zodiac quality - amongst regular SIB's (ie not commercial spec HD build) they are IMHO the best but others to consider are Honwave, Avon and Quicksilver but maybe the latest Zodiacs are not so good - I always preferred the look of the traditional long cones rather than the newer blunt ones.