Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
New sib

Hi all

Just thought I’d post a few pictures of my new setup how I got there and some initial impressions.

I had an Excel Volante 330 with a Mariner 15hp that I used on the Scottish trip recently. It did brilliantly but I wanted something a little dryer and a little more relaxed in choppy conditions.

I of course considered the excellent Bombard Aerotec 380. However they are commanding silly money for old boats with well known glue problems. Many were selling as a package with 2 stroke outboards. I prefer quiet 4 strokes despite the weight differences. So whilst these were a possibility it was unlikely.

Excel make a very high quality product but my opinion is the bow needs to be higher to keep them dryer. So it was down to a Honwave or Zodiac for me.

I wanted to keep the weight manageable so preferred an air floor despite aluminium being stiffer. My boat may still end up rolled and put in the boot of the car. Although this would only be maybe once per year it’s nice to have that option.

Ended up with a Zodiac Futura mk2c fastroller. On a trailer with a 25hp Mariner 4 stroke efi.

No leaks, has a couple of patches. The trailer has needed setting up properly and I’m just getting to know the boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0888.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	126325

First thing to go was the hydro foils. Maybe helpful if you water ski from the boat like the previous owner but I didn’t find they improved anything so they are soon to be on eBay.

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	126326

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	126327

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	126328

Name:	IMG_0881.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	126329

The boat is stable, roomy but currently nose happy as it needs weight in the front. Tiller extension settles it though. Corners brilliantly. Fast turns are so much fun!

The instant power is addictive and the top speed although unknown currently is faster than I need to go.

It’s fine to launch and recover using the trailer on your own (so far). The floor seems to be rigid with very little flex and no evidence of riding the hump as yet. The speed tubes do help lift the hull out of the water so should help with fuel economy hopefully.

Big tubes give extra protection from spray and the raised bow keeps most of this away so far.

I’ve only tried it on a lake but initial impressions are good. Looking forward to sea trials.

Just need to fit my gps etc and sort out a comfortable seat. Along with the usual tinkering we all seem to do [emoji1].
Old 11 August 2018, 15:46   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
very nice gazz enjoy
Old 11 August 2018, 15:55   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
What a great purposeful looking outfit... good to read you opinions on it. Should be a really capable combo.

The Futura looks newish with those flat cones??
Old 13 August 2018, 06:22   #4

I find trimming the engine right back to 1st hole, plus a tiller extension and nicely stocked zodiac bow bag with fuel tank inside is normally enough to keep the nose down on these futuras with just one man on board.
Old 13 August 2018, 20:23   #5

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
That's a cool setup, would love to try a futura
Old 15 August 2018, 13:49   #6

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Thanks

I think I have it trimmed on second hole. Tiller extension helps. Will chuck anchor etc in the front.

Pretty sure its a 2004 model from the serial number so getting on a bit really. All the glue seems good so far!

Next step is to rig up a charging connection from the outboard and sort out my plotter etc.... oh and a seat. It's too far to reach the tiller from the tube for any length of time.

Tags
sib