Old 17 June 2017, 22:49   #41

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Great to hear your maiden voyage was decent one, think one of the more pleasing feelings is getting on board kit down to essential useful items, sometimes those with double use. How's the outboard now with the new prop?
Old 17 June 2017, 22:59   #42

Town: Chester
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Honda
Engine: Mariner 15hp 2T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
How's the outboard now with the new prop?
Working well so far. I have seen another similar age engine with the same white prop tho, so I'm thinking that the 10.5" pitch that was on it may be the original.

if it wasn't bent and chipped I would give it another try. now that the guard is off.
Old 17 June 2017, 23:18   #43

Sounds like you'll end up on the RIB section within 12 months :-) More power! My prop knowledge is only what I've read in the last couple of years, a bit more time might give you a clearer picture of what was original. If it gets your boat up on plane and you're seeing somewhere around 18 knots in smoothish conditions for me that'll do. A tiny tach with test runs is the other route to see whats going on - as I've read not done!
Old 17 June 2017, 23:25   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
Sounds like you'll end up on the RIB section within 12 months :-) More power! My prop knowledge is only what I've read in the last couple of years, a bit more time might give you a clearer picture of what was original. If it gets your boat up on plane and you're seeing somewhere around 18 knots in smoothish conditions for me that'll do. A tiny tach with test runs is the other route to see what's going on - as I've read not done!
Absolutely no chance whatsoever of getting a rib.

we live in a cul-d-sac with no off road parking. we have to walk everything from house to the car!

let's see what the future brings, but a move would be required, and at that point would not be in a position to buy a rib! (with enough power anyway)

but yeh, 20mph on smooth water feels very fast!

Have got one of those chinesium tach's on order.
Old 17 June 2017, 23:52   #45

A few weeks ago I had my Honwave 3.2 heading back (solo) towards Hamford water/Walton channel, the chop eased off so I thought I'd see what it would do. I just touched 19 knots with the outboard (Fendlander's old 15 merc) on full chat. This is not the most technical approach but it's a similar outboard to yours...!
Old 17 June 2017, 23:58   #46

I bet that felt fast.
Old 18 June 2017, 00:22   #47

I enjoyed the speed/wind in face. It didn't feel dangerous I've always felt the outfit stable, more noisy and my jumble sale badly stowed boxes and anchor/chain/rope/bucket bouncing around were more alarming. Backing off to 15-16 knots was about right, bit like a new car interesting to see 'what it'll do'. Made notes after that how to stow/rig better!

I surprised myself to see I'd covered 15nm just by pootling about (with a few blats in between) basically Titchmarsh marina to Harwich/Stour and back. Something like that might suit your toe in water sea trip, start off in a quiet estuary and venture out a little at a time, see how you feel
Old 18 June 2017, 20:27   #48

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluxdoggy View Post
Absolutely no chance whatsoever of getting a rib.

we live in a cul-d-sac with no off road parking. we have to walk everything from house to the car!.
And that's why you see so many boats in marinas. A nice 5/6m with 90-150 OB moored in a nice marina and you can do Anglesey in a day

plan a trip to the coast and if you don't feel confident just leave the gear in the car and go for walk on the front you havd some fantastic coast on your door and the kit to enjoy it. Just take your time and grow your confidence also find some like
Minded and like equipped people to join and a you can have a fab day out and see some great sites
Old 19 June 2017, 05:37   #49

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
The River Deben at Felixstowe is also good for a first sea adventure
Old 19 June 2017, 10:06   #50

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
The River Deben at Felixstowe is also good for a first sea adventure
I'm not sure I'd recommend crossing a bar as a first sea adventure? I've also heard the current can run reasonably quick around Felixtowe?

If over that direction I'd head to Mersea Island (West Mersea) for launching, very civilised and moderately sheltered.
Old 19 June 2017, 10:15   #51

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
He did say "adventure"!!
Old 19 June 2017, 11:00   #52

I would not recommend Harwich for first time sea experience.. That said our Dad took my sister and I (for a week, first time) out on a 30' wooden boat in the 80's wind picked up with gusts of 6-7 as we turned the corner towards the Stour. Teenage me pulling the tiller for all I was worth to keep the boat sort of on course/upright. Loads of fun Sister and I were both laughing prob from fear and fun.

Loads of traffic at Harwich from cargo/ferries/yachties plus tide/wind/current meeting point. Mersea very nice and a great place to put in/potter [emoji106] [emoji106]

Meant to add. Walton on the Naze backwaters can also be a gentle introduction to the sea, sort of what I meant, not going as far as Harwich!

Tags
sib