Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Bombard typhoon 4.2m 25hp max
Mercury 3.65 was a 3.8m but now got shorter cones 25hp max
Honwave range
Zodiac range
Or the Ali hulled sibs light weight
I had a zodiac zoom310 solid with a 15hp Johnson 2st up on the plane very easy.
Don't know how your dads knees are but if he has any probs go for the larger tube boats a lot more comfortable I am 29in inside leg with 18in tubes bang on for me.

Cheers

Old 05 January 2016, 18:15   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
My mistake - I have found today it's a 3.3hp not 2.3. So 50% more to play with

Opposite side of the other island - so getting the RIB there is a major undertaking (ferry trip or 180 miles by sea!)

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 07:48   #13

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Fair point. Ideally I would like it to plane as well (because I might borrow it when I'm out that way!) but I'm just trying to figure out what the different options might look like so I can have a discussion along the lines of "if you spend this much and use your old engine it will perform like this but you might want to spend this much and get a new engine which will perform like this".

I see from the "Which SIB" thread that you really want 15hp to be able to plane comfortably two-up, so that's the top end option but I suspect it is probably going to be more than he's prepared to spend. He is also here in the FI so would prefer to buy new/boxed for ease of shipment (and the VAT exemption helps!)

But I'd still like to know what a realistic speed would be with a small motor like the 2.3hp he already has - if it manages 5 or 6 knots that is probably fine, if it will only do 2 knots or grind to a halt in more than 10 knots of wind, then it probably isn't.

I have a 3.1m tender and I think he'd want something significantly bigger - nearer 4m.
have a look at takakat lite catamaran totally blow up planes with low hp newzealand design or saturn tunnel hull boats same thing really
Old 06 January 2016, 09:17   #14

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Dont forget its not that easy to recover a big sib on a trailer on your own. The problem been that without a solid hull and rollers on the trailer the sib can and will sit on the trailer in any fashion except the correct one. A small rib dispite the weight may be a better option. I would recomment that you check this out with the SIB lads. My experance is from using a GR 3 with 40 hp on the back for diving.

TSM
Old 07 January 2016, 03:49   #15

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Dont forget its not that easy to recover a big sib on a trailer on your own. The problem been that without a solid hull and rollers on the trailer the sib can and will sit on the trailer in any fashion except the correct one. A small rib dispite the weight may be a better option. I would recomment that you check this out with the SIB lads. My experance is from using a GR 3 with 40 hp on the back for diving.

TSM
yep my 3.65 hd with a 25hp needs to be in deep water and float off i am going to fit HDPE bunks to help i fitted docking arms which lines the boat up makes that easyer. thats why the aerotec is a good bet gets a lot of praise on here.
Old 07 January 2016, 04:10   #16

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post

TSM
I wasn't aware of that.. guess I learn something new every day ?

But I use bunks on my trailer SIB..I wouldnt recommend rollers. Boat floats on as easy as any other boat I have ever owned. Tubes sit on edge of bunks..so cant swivel when towing.

Bogmonster..My Mariner 3.3hp two stroke is the aux on my 4.3 m heavy wood floor SIB..shoves it along nicely at 4 knots.. thats on a good day with little wind. Same engine shoves my slat floor 2.7m sib at 4 knots too..but its a displacement hull. i think it could make a small airfloor plane with one..on a good day
Old 07 January 2016, 05:09   #17

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I think the most likely outcome if the boat was too heavy to manhandle with launching wheels is that we'd knock up a lightweight custom launch trolley which was basically a low-slung flat deck sitting maybe 1ft off the ground with docking arms or sides on, so you could launch it easily and recover it just by pulling it onto the deck. It would never go on a public road - all the possible launch sites around that area are in our ownership.

Anyway, I think I have enough info to go on for the moment, thanks for all the help and feedback

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2016, 08:20   #18

Town: Sutton coldfield
Boat name: Excel Virage
Make: Excel
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 150
Hi, did you get fixed up or are you still in the market?