Old 04 January 2016, 22:41   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
New SIB

My father is selling his small 20ft yacht having finally decided that it's too much hassle to launch and recover - he's in his mid 70s now. However he would still like to be able to get out and potter around on the water now and again on a nice sunny day.

I've suggested that he considers a biggish SIB (3.5m - 4m) and while I know very little about them there seems to be a decent choice - something like the Excel Vanguard 395 or the bigger Honwaves would probably fit the bill for sensible money.

However the main element of cost is going to be whether or not he needs to buy a new motor. I've just come away from a Google search slightly open-mouthed at the cost of a nice four stroke 15hp motor, and I wondered how a boat in this sort of size range would perform with a small outboard - he already has a 2.3hp engine for his little tender. My 4hp aux will push about a tonne of Vipermax along at about 4 knots on a good day - what speed would 2.3hp achieve in a light SIB, 2 pax, total weight of boat pax and engine maybe 300-400kg? Planing is obviously not on the agenda but I wondered what is realistic.

Any thoughts welcome on choice of boat, suitability of existing motor or (if completely unsuitable) what sort of HP would be a sensible minimum so I can present him with some ideas and prices. Thanks

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2016, 06:40   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
When I'm 70 I hope I'll still want to potter on the water... in fact if I could potter I reckon I'd still want to plane. The ability to plane adds safety.

What about Beerbelly's outfit as an idea? Smaller than you mention but fine for one of with a plus one.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/honwave...tml#post703182
Old 05 January 2016, 09:40   #3

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
If you're considering new I would definitely speak to Ely Boat Chandlers... I bought my Honwave T38 + 20HP Honda brand new from them just before Christmas for at least £500 cheaper than the nearest competition I could find online. that included a pre-Xmas Honda deal saving me an extra £100-odd but they were still vastly cheaper than anyone else I could find regardless of the extra deal.
Old 05 January 2016, 09:45   #4

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
I think portability of the motor is going to be the biggest challenge and everyone raves about the 9.8HP Tohatsu if you can find one
Old 05 January 2016, 09:48   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I take it your farther is in the Falkland too? As this is a big factor in to the cost!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2016, 09:58   #6

Fair point. Ideally I would like it to plane as well (because I might borrow it when I'm out that way!) but I'm just trying to figure out what the different options might look like so I can have a discussion along the lines of "if you spend this much and use your old engine it will perform like this but you might want to spend this much and get a new engine which will perform like this".

I see from the "Which SIB" thread that you really want 15hp to be able to plane comfortably two-up, so that's the top end option but I suspect it is probably going to be more than he's prepared to spend. He is also here in the FI so would prefer to buy new/boxed for ease of shipment (and the VAT exemption helps!)

But I'd still like to know what a realistic speed would be with a small motor like the 2.3hp he already has - if it manages 5 or 6 knots that is probably fine, if it will only do 2 knots or grind to a halt in more than 10 knots of wind, then it probably isn't.

I have a 3.1m tender and I think he'd want something significantly bigger - nearer 4m.

Old 05 January 2016, 10:23   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Is the Falklands EU? If not you may be able to legally still buy a 2 stroke. Yam 15hp would do the job.

A 2.3hp on a SIB will give you displacement speed - probably no more than about 4 / 4.5 knots. It won't be any slower than your 3.1m.

Is the 2.3hp a long or standard shaft. Nothing wrong with having a selection of engines (not that my wife would agree!) for different roles as long as they all fit the boat.

Aerotec?
Old 05 January 2016, 10:32   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
Is the Falklands EU?
Yeah, along with Argentina and Chile.
Old 05 January 2016, 10:42   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I see from the "Which SIB" thread that you really want 15hp to be able to plane comfortably two-up, so that's the top end option but I suspect it is probably going to be more than he's prepared to spend. He is also here in the FI so would prefer to buy new/boxed for ease of shipment (and the VAT exemption helps!)
Does that mean you are also able to get your hands on old tech 2-strokes? Not only would that be easier for manual handling I presume they are still cheaper.

Do you need to plane 2-up? presumably if you are both going out you can take the RIB?

Quote:
But I'd still like to know what a realistic speed would be with a small motor like the 2.3hp he already has - if it manages 5 or 6 knots that is probably fine,
I doubt he'll get 6 knots. I used to get ~4 from a 2HP Honda on a pretty light sailing dinghy with a non-draggy bottom with 140 kg of crew weight. By that point the air cooled engine had deafened you anyway! Not sure "hull speed" really applies to SIBS but 6 knots would need you to at least be thinking about getting out of displacement mode on a boat that size.

Or, is he really angling for you keeping the RIB on a mooring and he can just use the tender to get to it?
Old 05 January 2016, 16:01   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
What would you do with a bunch of SIBs in the FI's anyway?

Confuse penguins I assume...

https://www.facebook.com/ZGWZombie/v...9624015730845/
Old 05 January 2016, 17:21   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Bombard typhoon 4.2m 25hp max
Mercury 3.65 was a 3.8m but now got shorter cones 25hp max
Honwave range
Zodiac range
Or the Ali hulled sibs light weight
I had a zodiac zoom310 solid with a 15hp Johnson 2st up on the plane very easy.
Don't know how your dads knees are but if he has any probs go for the larger tube boats a lot more comfortable I am 29in inside leg with 18in tubes bang on for me.

Cheers
Old 05 January 2016, 22:15   #12

My mistake - I have found today it's a 3.3hp not 2.3. So 50% more to play with

Opposite side of the other island - so getting the RIB there is a major undertaking (ferry trip or 180 miles by sea!)

Old 06 January 2016, 11:48   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Fair point. Ideally I would like it to plane as well (because I might borrow it when I'm out that way!) but I'm just trying to figure out what the different options might look like so I can have a discussion along the lines of "if you spend this much and use your old engine it will perform like this but you might want to spend this much and get a new engine which will perform like this".

But I'd still like to know what a realistic speed would be with a small motor like the 2.3hp he already has - if it manages 5 or 6 knots that is probably fine, if it will only do 2 knots or grind to a halt in more than 10 knots of wind, then it probably isn't.

I have a 3.1m tender and I think he'd want something significantly bigger - nearer 4m.
have a look at takakat lite catamaran totally blow up planes with low hp newzealand design or saturn tunnel hull boats same thing really
Old 06 January 2016, 13:17   #14

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Dont forget its not that easy to recover a big sib on a trailer on your own. The problem been that without a solid hull and rollers on the trailer the sib can and will sit on the trailer in any fashion except the correct one. A small rib dispite the weight may be a better option. I would recomment that you check this out with the SIB lads. My experance is from using a GR 3 with 40 hp on the back for diving.

TSM
Old 07 January 2016, 07:49   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Dont forget its not that easy to recover a big sib on a trailer on your own. The problem been that without a solid hull and rollers on the trailer the sib can and will sit on the trailer in any fashion except the correct one. A small rib dispite the weight may be a better option. I would recomment that you check this out with the SIB lads. My experance is from using a GR 3 with 40 hp on the back for diving.

TSM
yep my 3.65 hd with a 25hp needs to be in deep water and float off i am going to fit HDPE bunks to help i fitted docking arms which lines the boat up makes that easyer. thats why the aerotec is a good bet gets a lot of praise on here.
Old 07 January 2016, 08:10   #16

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post

TSM
I wasn't aware of that.. guess I learn something new every day ?

But I use bunks on my trailer SIB..I wouldnt recommend rollers. Boat floats on as easy as any other boat I have ever owned. Tubes sit on edge of bunks..so cant swivel when towing.

Bogmonster..My Mariner 3.3hp two stroke is the aux on my 4.3 m heavy wood floor SIB..shoves it along nicely at 4 knots.. thats on a good day with little wind. Same engine shoves my slat floor 2.7m sib at 4 knots too..but its a displacement hull. i think it could make a small airfloor plane with one..on a good day
Old 07 January 2016, 09:09   #17

I think the most likely outcome if the boat was too heavy to manhandle with launching wheels is that we'd knock up a lightweight custom launch trolley which was basically a low-slung flat deck sitting maybe 1ft off the ground with docking arms or sides on, so you could launch it easily and recover it just by pulling it onto the deck. It would never go on a public road - all the possible launch sites around that area are in our ownership.

Anyway, I think I have enough info to go on for the moment, thanks for all the help and feedback

Old 11 March 2016, 12:20   #18

Town: Sutton coldfield
Boat name: Excel Virage
Make: Excel
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 150
Hi, did you get fixed up or are you still in the market?