Old 29 September 2013, 13:32   #1

Town: Tralee
Make: Tornado / Zodiac 3.1
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam F60/ Tohatsu 9.8
New Sib 3.1-3.5

Hi, My old yam is on the way out and its time to start looking for a new boat.
I recently purchased a Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke s/s. This engine will be used on new boat.
Boat will be used for fishing so I am thinking wood or Aluminium may be best although I am a bit concerned about the extra weight or these materials over a Air deck.
Boat size 3.2- 3.5. Any recommendations on good boats or any boats to avoid
Thanks
Old 29 September 2013, 16:59   #2

Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Boat will be used for fishing
I've been fishing from a 3.4m Zodiac Fastroller with no problems. It's light enough for one person to launch, yet big enough for two people to fish from.
Why be worried about puncturing an Air deck when fishing if you're not worried about puncturing the tubes?
Old 29 September 2013, 19:17   #3

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Hi, New to sibbing, but not boating in general, so take this with a pinch of salt! Bought new early this year a Zodiac Zoom 350 SP with aluminium floor which weighs in at around 65kg and can just about be dragged through the dunes and launched single handed on transom wheels or a launching trolley. I acknowledge the Zoom range is a budget Zodiac, with glued not welded seams, but so far have been impressed with overall build quality and performance, rated up to 20hp max but would be fine with your 9.8. We use ours not for fishing, but for fun and general safety cover support while family windsurfing off North East Coast (predominantly offshore winds - eek!). Seems very capable of handling chop, swell and moderate surf and loads of fun with a 20hp Suzuki if treated with respect!
Old 30 September 2013, 17:17   #4

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Both Zodiac owners and boat happy with their boats.
In reply to stray. I have had several punctures on the air deck but none on the tubes,
A small stone stuck in the bottom of my wellington boot caused 2 punctures.
On the new boat I am also going to have a 12v battery to run fishfinder and the engine is electric start. So I think wood or Aluminium over air deck?
Old 01 October 2013, 18:04   #5

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Air deck sibs needs to be fully inflated to their max working psi to achieve good water performance including standing on them. if going for one, being much lighter than alum or wooden panel sibs, can trim a good carpet to match interior air deck contour, something that does not hold water, that way you can protect air deck when placing a battery and other heavy objects.-

Air decks are suceptible to have more puncture issues than alum or wooden panel sibs, but are lighter to move around including a faster assembly. Go for the 3.5 Mt, not the 3.1 Mt.

Happy Boating
Old 03 October 2013, 08:05   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Have a look at the review I did 2yrs ago of our Honwave. With many more sea miles under its keel since then I still have the same high opinion on both design and quality for a bargain price. The alloy floor on that version is heavy and strong, it makes for a very stable rugged feeling boat.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/honwave...iew-44366.html

If weight is an issue you could look at the 3.2m air floor version which is close to the same price.

In fact weight may be an issue with your Tohatsu 9.8. We owned one up to 3yrs ago and they are brilliant on a lightly loaded, lightweight, air floor but raise the total weight (boat+people+kit) above a certain point and suddenly you are restricted to displacement speeds.
Old 04 October 2013, 06:00   #7

Thanks Fenlander, That's a really useful review. Honwave look to be very well made boats.