Old 04 August 2010, 21:57   #1

Town: derbys
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100hp Yamah outboard
New member help honwave 32/37 v

Hi,
I have decided after much reading of this forum to get a honwave T32-ie or a T37-ie.
However, I would like to use it on holidays by the sea but have a caravan and so can't use a boat trailer. I have a 4x4 and can fit either boat inside for my journey to the caravan site.
I have the following problems that I need your advice on?

1, Could I buy a folding lightweight road trailer that would also fit in the car so that I only have to inflate/deflate once per holiday?

2, If not do you have any ideas on making the whole inflation set up thing easier?

3, What's the heaviest outboard that can be moved from car to boat sensibly by an average 40 year old man?

4, Do you have any general advice which will make my boating life easier?

Thanks in advance,
Great forum guys I have picked up so many things I had never thought about.
Old 04 August 2010, 22:39   #2

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
I was down at South Sands near Salcombe last year and two honda CRVs pulled up on the beach and they each pulled out a Honwave (don't know which ones but they had a blow up keel) and a Honda bf25 they also had the launch trolleys that folded up. With the help of an electric pump they were up and out in a few mins and I bet they had a great time too
Old 04 August 2010, 23:00   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Hi,
I have decided after much reading of this forum to get a honwave T32-ie or a T37-ie.

owned the T38 for a few years - I liked it a lot - good choice.

However, I would like to use it on holidays by the sea but have a caravan and so can't use a boat trailer. I have a 4x4 and can fit either boat inside for my journey to the caravan site.

From experience, these boats never roll up as small as they do when you first get them! That said it would fit in an average 4 x 4 no problem.
Bear in mind that you will want to carry the gas tank in the caravan. Even an empty tank that has been used generates head ache inducing fumes in an enclosed space like a car !

I have the following problems that I need your advice on?

1, Could I buy a folding lightweight road trailer that would also fit in the car so that I only have to inflate/deflate once per holiday?

Unless you specifically need a trailer to deal with the local geography where you are going to launch, then spend the money on the launching wheels that fit the boat. Dead useful and a top buy.

2, If not do you have any ideas on making the whole inflation set up thing easier?

Bravo BST High Pressure pump - about Ģ120 but so worth the effort for inflating the floor and tubes to the correct pressure. Otherwise you will end up with calves like tree trunks from foot pumping.

3, What's the heaviest outboard that can be moved from car to boat sensibly by an average 40 year old man?

[If its a short distance and your handballing it... more than 50 kilos you will struggle. I could just about get my Yam 20hp 2 stroke (52 kilos) into the Landrover myself. Carrying it more than about 20 yards was a killer.

4, Do you have any general advice which will make my boating life easier?

[You already started by looking on this forum - some great helpful people with lots of experience. My advice - if you dont already have it - get your RYA PB level 2 certificate and your VHF certificate. Holding both will give you loads of confidence and let you enjoy things more.
Also will make the family happier knowing you have done the courses!

Enjoy and welcome to the forum

Thanks in advance,
Great forum guys I have picked up so many things I had never thought about.
Old 05 August 2010, 09:02   #4

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
I do not have room for a boat trailer, neither I travel with it. My boat is moored for 1 month at the beach during holidays, so I do not mess a lot with launching. My solution is folding the boat and using a modified Rooteq outboard trolley for servicing and standing the engine at home.

This looks like a nice alternative for launching wheels: foldable launching trolley for sibs under 3,7m, 100kg. Does anybody know anything about it?
http://www.marinescene.co.uk/product...nching-trolley
Otherwise, for air floor deep V Honwave, the only solution is Honwave special wheels.

I own a Honda BF20 20hp. It is very light, but it is a pain. I just purchased it because in Spain law is rather restrictive with 2 strokes (well, and for anything related with boats!).
If possible, I should go for 10-15HP second hand 2 stroke engines.
Old 05 August 2010, 15:39   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Outboards by their nature are a pig to carry around, and what is on paper a 20 Kg lump will seem more like 200Kg if you need to carry it any distance!

As Azzuro says, 2- strokes are generally lighter per Hp fthan a 4- stroke (and also are less fussy about which way down you lay hem in the back of the car), so I would perssonally go 2- stroke for those reasons alone. Down side (or plus side, depending on your viewpoint!) they are a bit noisier, and wil llikely smoke a lot if you do a lot of low speed pootling.

Also you can't buy a 2- stroke new, so if you want a warranty, you'll need to go 4- stroke.

Also check many engine manufacturers' brochures. One nice extreme case of why - My old Suz 25 = 72Kg. The currnet Merc 60 = 82Kg. 10Kg and 35Hp of a difference! Check the data before you spend your dosh!
Old 05 August 2010, 15:45   #6

Town: Widnes
Boat name: Aquasition
Make: Valiant
Engine: Evinrude 150
MMSI: 235082368
Send a message via Skype™ to stephendoyle53
I have had a T38 for a few years which has been taken to lakes in Switzerland, Italy and France with no problems.

I have a 4 x 4 and had a roof rack made which has a full width roller to take the boat inflated (one person can struggle to get it on, however, with two people its easy).

To launch I use a folding launching trolley (which also goes on the roof rack). You can fit launching wheels to the transom but was advised against this and having seen people struggling with them understand why).

I have a 20 HP Honda engine and at 56 I have no problem getting in and out of the back of the car. Out of the car, I use a folding Yamaha engine trolley if I have to move the engine any distance.

The Bravo BST High Pressure pump is the only thing I have found capable of inflating the floor to the correct pressure - absolutely brilliant.
Old 05 August 2010, 15:50   #7

Thanks

Hi all,
Thanks for the great replies.

I had thought that if I could get some sort of folding road trailer in the car, I would only have to inflate once at the start of my holiday and deflate once at the end.
Is this a silly thought?
Most of you appear to be saying that putting up and down every day and fitting the engine every day is not a really big deal. Is this the case?
Also, I take the point about the outboard travelling in the caravan but is there a way to transport it without petrol fumes? Would running it dry before transporting help or damage the engine?
I am thinking about a 15hp honda 4 stroke as I dont want to have to mix fuel and oil. Is it a good match? Also, would fitting roof bars to my car make things any easier?
Sorry for all the questions but I want to make the right choices.
Old 05 August 2010, 15:54   #8

Sorry. stephendoyle53.
I was typing as you posted. The roof rack may be an answer. Can I ask which vehicle it as fitted to? I have a Sorento. I take it that it was stable at sensible speeds?
Old 05 August 2010, 22:42   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
I was referring to the gas tank itself, rather than the motor.
Best to try and put that in your caravan.
I stand by what I said about the launching wheels.
You can leave the boat up and motor attached, the wheels pin in the down position and also in the up position once the boat is in the water.
So... no folding trolley needed. Will you be launching over firm sand, or a slipway... then the launching wheels would be fine.
Also... when you get where your going to ... you can haul the boat out, much better than having to leave it anchored or moored.
Anyway - there are loads of posts to do with the Honwave on here, just do a search.
Old 06 August 2010, 08:15   #10

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
There are roof rack things out there for klloading the likes of Laser & topper type dinghies sosingle handed. Thiose dinghies are single handers, so the owner almost by definition has no help to unload. Have a trawl round google.

As for the fumes, simply turn the fuel tap off (if internal tank) or unplug the hose, then run the engine. That wil lempty the carbs. Once it starts to cough, pul lthe choke out. Then try to start it a couple of times. That will get as much fuel out as you are ever likely to get.

Also remember that if you keep it in the caravan, then your accommodation will smell of petrol for a while!

I have to say, from the hassle factor I'd leave it inflated if it were me. (it's amazing how much the "faff factor" can put off a half interested crew!)
Old 06 August 2010, 08:37   #11

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicoid View Post
Hi all,
Thanks for the great replies.

I had thought that if I could get some sort of folding road trailer in the car, I would only have to inflate once at the start of my holiday and deflate once at the end.
Is this a silly thought?
Most of you appear to be saying that putting up and down every day and fitting the engine every day is not a really big deal. Is this the case?
Also, I take the point about the outboard travelling in the caravan but is there a way to transport it without petrol fumes? Would running it dry before transporting help or damage the engine?
I am thinking about a 15hp honda 4 stroke as I dont want to have to mix fuel and oil. Is it a good match? Also, would fitting roof bars to my car make things any easier?
Sorry for all the questions but I want to make the right choices.
Donīt go for the Honda 15HP 4stroke, it weights exactly the same than the 20HP model.
I mean, Honda 15-20HP is very light compared to other similar 4strokes, but it is hard to handle.

2 strokes are no more manufactured because of pollution. I think you cannot compare a 10HP 2stroke pollution and a 100HP 2stroke pollution...but those are the facts, no more 2stroke are manufactured. I needed my boat to be registered, so I had to get a 4stroke. But that was my only reason.

Go for 10-15hp 2stroke second hand, they are lighter and also better weight distribution (4strokes head is very heavy, 2strokes are better balanced).
Also, 2strokes engines are quite tough, very few and cheap repairs.

Regarding launching wheels: I believe that if you do not own an outboard engine trolley, servicing the outboard while clipped to the boat with launching wheels is not a good business. It's better servicing it while the boat stands on a launching trolley, as they are higher and more stable.

And get yourself an outboard lock to prevent thefts.