Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Originally Posted by sonicoid View Post
Hi all,
Thanks for the great replies.

I had thought that if I could get some sort of folding road trailer in the car, I would only have to inflate once at the start of my holiday and deflate once at the end.
Is this a silly thought?
Most of you appear to be saying that putting up and down every day and fitting the engine every day is not a really big deal. Is this the case?
Also, I take the point about the outboard travelling in the caravan but is there a way to transport it without petrol fumes? Would running it dry before transporting help or damage the engine?
I am thinking about a 15hp honda 4 stroke as I dont want to have to mix fuel and oil. Is it a good match? Also, would fitting roof bars to my car make things any easier?
Sorry for all the questions but I want to make the right choices.
Donīt go for the Honda 15HP 4stroke, it weights exactly the same than the 20HP model.
I mean, Honda 15-20HP is very light compared to other similar 4strokes, but it is hard to handle.

2 strokes are no more manufactured because of pollution. I think you cannot compare a 10HP 2stroke pollution and a 100HP 2stroke pollution...but those are the facts, no more 2stroke are manufactured. I needed my boat to be registered, so I had to get a 4stroke. But that was my only reason.

Go for 10-15hp 2stroke second hand, they are lighter and also better weight distribution (4strokes head is very heavy, 2strokes are better balanced).
Also, 2strokes engines are quite tough, very few and cheap repairs.

Regarding launching wheels: I believe that if you do not own an outboard engine trolley, servicing the outboard while clipped to the boat with launching wheels is not a good business. It's better servicing it while the boat stands on a launching trolley, as they are higher and more stable.

And get yourself an outboard lock to prevent thefts.

azzurro is offline   Reply With Quote