Old 01 August 2013, 11:45   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I'd guess Gurnard is pretty close. 1/2" ply (marine if you can get it - waterproof glues and fewer voids.)

Seal it and paint it the desired color.

Another option would be to go with a stiff plastic - polypropylene, I'd think (PE might be a little soft.) If you really want to shave weight, a small honeycomb graphite panel would do the job as well (though would likely be pricey.)

jky

Old 10 August 2013, 06:29   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cambridge
Make: Yamaha 380s
Engine: 15hp Tohatsu o/b
Hello again.

My sincere apologies if I appeared thankless and ignorant through lack of reply. The scourge of demanding business I'm afraid, so just installed the Android app.

Thank you all for your replies. I found an ally extrusion in the bag that's clearly for the front board, the recess confirming 12mm / 1/2" board thickness.

I like the idea of a plastic board - particularly as there's a plastics engineering workshop just a few miles down the road.

Boat's gone off for a professional service/valet and extra handles for peace of mind and passenger security, so an opportunity to focus on the floor. The rivets in the composite sections look rather corroded, but nothing that a good pop gun and a bag of s/s rivets can't fix I'm sure.

Thank you all again for the good advice, ideas and inspiration.

All the best,

Brendan

Old 11 August 2013, 01:42   #13

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Townsend View Post
Boat's gone off for a professional service/valet and extra handles for peace of mind and passenger security, so an opportunity to focus on the floor. The rivets in the composite sections look rather corroded, but nothing that a good pop gun and a bag of s/s rivets can't fix I'm sure.
I would research the use of ss fasteners on an Ali floor in salt water conditions more to reassure yourself that you will not start to corrode the Ali floor due to galvanic corrosion. The Ali is the less noble metal of the two so will be the one to corrode if incorrect fasteners are selected. You may need to pay particular attention to the type of ss fasteners used as some types of ss will be less forgiving. Medium term, if you get it wrong, you may find that your floor around the fasteners has disintegrated.

TBH, imho best solution to prevent galvanic corrosion is to use a metal with same/similar noble properties as the Ali floor, ie Ali rivets. But not sure of their strength in your application.
Old 11 August 2013, 07:13   #14
RIBnet supporter

Thanks Ian.

Mmm... yes, you're right of-course.

I've seen a variety of aluminium rivets with zinc-plated steel mandrels, so I'm guessing that some of those, perhaps with a daub of zinc paint on application, should see me through for the remaining service life of the boat.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Brendan.
Old 31 August 2013, 16:26   #15
RIBnet supporter

Well...

New board fabricated from high-quality 12mm marine ply. I took a punt on Dulux Weathershield and, applied with a foam roller, came out great! Has a nice non-slip texture too, without the coarseness of sand-loaded paint possibly hard on knees and bare feet.

I now need to find some 1/2" (13mm) screws to attach the ally extrusion to it. Can anyone suggest a good supplier of self-tapping aluminium or aluminium-bronze marine screws in the UK?

Thanks in advance,

Brendan
Old 31 August 2013, 16:54   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Townsend View Post
I now need to find some 1/2" (13mm) screws to attach the ally extrusion to it. Can anyone suggest a good supplier of self-tapping aluminium or aluminium-bronze marine screws in the UK?
Kays Fixings on Fleabay
Old 31 August 2013, 17:25   #17
RIBnet supporter

Thanks for the reply.

If it's 'Kays Fasteners', they sell marine grade stainless self-tapping screws but apparently not ally or ally-bronze. They seem to be quite hard to find in 1/2" self-tap.

I'll be taking the boat to the open sea and mooring for a few weeks next year, so trying to avoid galvanic floor corrosion.

All the best,

Brendan.
Old 31 August 2013, 17:56   #18

Sorry didn't read properly just read marine screws and brain added Stainless.

And that'll be the folks. Bought a load of stainless bits from them recently.

Most of my experience with alluminium has been on WAFI masts. They tend to use rivots.

Stainless components are usually coated with duralac before being attached to ally masts but not sure dipping a self tapper in will work...
Old 31 August 2013, 18:22   #19
RIBnet supporter

No problem, and thanks for the additional info.

I'll keep looking - maybe I can find cadmium plated or titanium from somewhere?

All the best,

Brendan.