Engine: 6hp o/b
New dinghy

Old 26 March 2014, 16:11   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
What!!!!! only a 2.5 HP engine, you definitely will be goofing, pottering around all day with that huge HP performance. Get yourself at LEAST a 5 HP or a Tohatsu 2 strokes 9.8 HP for that nice dingy and water adventure....

Happy Boating
Old 26 March 2014, 19:04   #3

Town: seghill
Length: 3m +
new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
What!!!!! only a 2.5 HP engine, you definitely will be goofing, pottering around all day with that huge HP performance. Get yourself at LEAST a 5 HP or a Tohatsu 2 strokes 9.8 HP for that nice dingy and water adventure....

Happy Boating
thats all we will be doing,pottering around ,besides theres a good pair of oars for the son to streghten his upper body ,for the rugby LOL
Old 26 March 2014, 19:18   #4

Town: Lancashire
Boat name: Trigger Happy
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI: 235907196
I think you will struggle against a strong wind with such a small motor, but it's better than rowing!
Old 26 March 2014, 20:37   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
One of the greatest boating pleasures I have is going to sea in my 2.7m seago inflatable boat powered by a Suzuki 2.5 hp four stroke engine.
I have explored a lot the major sea lochs off the west of Scotland including the wild and remote ones such as Loch Hourn and Loch Nevis .. and even circumnavigated the island of Gigha in that small boat and engine combination
My pleasure comes from puttering along at displacement speeds.. watching for otters, seals, cormorants, puffins, eagles, whales, dolphins, basking sharks etc... while trolling lures for mackerel (and dare I mention sea trout) while taking photographs of the wildlife and scenery.. bottom line is ... I just enjoy the slow pace of the wilderness after the fast pace of everyday life in the city.
I do research the tides and its times for the areas that I visit and know how to make them work for my journeys.. I keep well away from strong tides that would work against me.. I also choose my weather window carefully ..but personally I get a far greater sense of adventure and satisfaction exploring such places in a small boat that I do in the larger boats I have had .. I also miss a lot of sights and wildlife when I got at planning speeds.
Everyone is different and has different ideas for their pleasure.. thats what makes the world go round. Im sure you will get a lot of funfrom your boat and engine too BGEE if those kinds of things I mention float your boat as they do mine :-D
Just respect the sea ..know what it is capable of...what you are capable of and keep safe..
That way you will enjoy your journeys..regardless the size of your....
Old 26 March 2014, 21:01   #6

new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
One of the greatest boating pleasures I have is going to sea in my 2.7m seago inflatable boat powered by a Suzuki 2.5 hp four stroke engine.
I have explored a lot the major sea lochs off the west of Scotland including the wild and remote ones such as Loch Hourn and Loch Nevis .. and even circumnavigated the island of Gigha in that small boat and engine combination
My pleasure comes from puttering along at displacement speeds.. watching for otters, seals, cormorants, puffins, eagles, whales, dolphins, basking sharks etc... while trolling lures for mackerel (and dare I mention sea trout) while taking photographs of the wildlife and scenery.. bottom line is ... I just enjoy the slow pace of the wilderness after the fast pace of everyday life in the city.
I do research the tides and its times for the areas that I visit and know how to make them work for my journeys.. I keep well away from strong tides that would work against me.. I also choose my weather window carefully ..but personally I get a far greater sense of adventure and satisfaction exploring such places in a small boat that I do in the larger boats I have had .. I also miss a lot of sights and wildlife when I got at planning speeds.
Everyone is different and has different ideas for their pleasure.. thats what makes the world go round. Im sure you will get a lot of funfrom your boat and engine too BGEE if those kinds of things I mention float your boat as they do mine :-D
Just respect the sea ..know what it is capable of...what you are capable of and keep safe..
That way you will enjoy your journeys..regardless the size of your....
Thanks for your reply. That is exactly what we intend to do.We will be well aware of tides and currents and all the safety aspects involved, even though it is our first experience af any kind of sailing. Bob
Old 26 March 2014, 21:47   #7

Town: Essex
Engine: 30hp
Looks nice. You'll love it. What make is it? What are the pod holder things on side with big pole out of it?
Old 26 March 2014, 21:57   #8

new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bass Stalker View Post
Looks nice. You'll love it. What make is it? What are the pod holder things on side with big pole out of it?
The boat is a Desanter 320, and the pods are rod holders( and the pole is a boat rod)which we didnt realize where there until we inflated it last weekend. Bob
Old 26 March 2014, 22:54   #9

Looks bigger than that. Very smart. Not sure I would want my rods like that, weird. Never heard of desanter, looks the nuts. There are some lovely sibs out there now. My mate wants a small ally deck and wondered how easy it would be to lift on top of a car? How easy do you think, , not sure of weight?
Old 27 March 2014, 00:06   #10

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Bgee,

Which brand is the 2.5 HP you'll be using along the 320 sib ? If it's a Merc, Tohatsu 2.5 why don't you go one step higher into a 3.5 HP. Both are same CC, weight and size, the 2.5 is just a detuned smaller version than it's older 3.5 brother. You know the saying, it's better to have more HP when not needing it than....you know the rest. With a 3.5 you can potter all day long too.

Happy Boating
Old 27 March 2014, 09:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Bgee,

Which brand is the 2.5 HP you'll be using along the 320 sib ? If it's a Merc, Tohatsu 2.5 why don't you go one step higher into a 3.5 HP. Both are same CC, weight and size, the 2.5 is just a detuned smaller version than it's older 3.5 brother. You know the saying, it's better to have more HP when not needing it than....you know the rest. With a 3.5 you can potter all day long too.

Happy Boating
It,s a Yamaha 4 stroke engine which is 3.2 metres , and we bought new from Pacer Marine.
Old 27 March 2014, 09:17   #12

How easy would it be to lift onto a car roof? Was the boat from pacer marine?
Old 27 March 2014, 09:22   #13

Quote:
Looks bigger than that. Very smart. Not sure I would want my rods like that, weird. Never heard of desanter, looks the nuts. There are some lovely sibs out there now. My mate wants a small ally deck and wondered how easy it would be to lift on top of a car? How easy do you think, , not sure of weight?
The rods we have are all the same type and are a tight fit in the pod.2 of us can manhandle the boat but we will get a set of wheels to help transport any distance.I don,t know what it would be like having to lift it onto the roof of a car with the aluminium floor in place. We will be transporting it deflated and once at the site will inflate it and it will be there for the week. cheers Bob
Old 27 March 2014, 09:30   #14

Thanks. If its anything like my quicksilver then the ally floor will be wedged very tight and won't go anywhere when upside down. Was it boat or engine from pacer marine? Else where did you get boat? Thanks
Old 27 March 2014, 09:57   #15

new boat

Quote:
Thanks. If its anything like my quicksilver then the ally floor will be wedged very tight and won't go anywhere when upside down. Was it boat or engine from pacer marine? Else where did you get boat? Thanks
JUST GOOGLE--- PONTONOWY SWIMAX, WATCH THE YOU TUBE CLIP WITH THE 4X4 DRIVING OVER THE TOP OF THE BOAT. My son actually sent for the boat,I think they are a Polish company the engine from Pacer Marine Bob
Old 27 March 2014, 12:16   #16

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGEE View Post
JUST GOOGLE--- PONTONOWY SWIMAX, WATCH THE YOU TUBE CLIP WITH THE 4X4 DRIVING OVER THE TOP OF THE BOAT. My son actually sent for the boat,I think they are a Polish company the engine from Pacer Marine Bob
The clip looks impressive at first glance, but im pretty sure its at least 2 different boats, or if it isnt they have invented the first boat with a disappearing motor mount

Old 27 March 2014, 12:34   #17

Thanks. Will look later.
Old 27 March 2014, 12:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
The clip looks impressive at first glance, but im pretty sure its at least 2 different boats, or if it isnt they have invented the first boat with a disappearing motor mount

Probably an advertising gimmick to use the clip to show how strong the material is thats used for all of their boats. The transom ( or engine mount) on our boat is moulded into the 2 side tubes and the floor.Bob
Old 28 March 2014, 08:22   #19

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
Ha I remember when I had my first boat. That was a round tail with motor mount. Nearly killed me. Had a 3.3 (I think) and a couple of hundred metres away from shallow water the valve decided to let a lot of air out. It then deflated with me stuck in the middle like a sandwich.

Managed to get out and pull the boat to shore via a short swim. Saved the motor and not long after getting it repaired the boat flipped backwards on its own accord when I was sat on the beach and the motor went under once again.

Sold the setup later that week to buy a boat with a real transom
Old 28 March 2014, 09:57   #20

Ha ha. That's funny as you weren't hurt. I hadn't thought of those pitfalls. Nightmare. Very funny image of you like a banana split