Old 12 April 2014, 18:40   #1

Make: aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
new 380 few questions

Not been out in the boat yet between one thing and another. I am aware i may need to raise the engine slightly to stop the spray that is common to these boats over the transom . I have a suitable piece of wood cut that will raise 1.5" , but do i need to fix this block to the transom or can i just place it on and tighthen the engine down ?
Second question, i plan to tie my fuel tank down under the seat where there are some fixing points but where do i tie down my backup engine , a 3.5 two stroke. I have a padded carry bag for it but there isnt really any suitable fixing points. Can i just glue some strap things down to the airdeck such as this PVC Inflatable Boat Dingy Seat Retaining Strap Patch

Or is this a bad idea as they could rip out damaging the airdeck ?

Cheers all
Old 12 April 2014, 18:49   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
First i would see how it goes before raising the engine up , try it then if it does need any shimming you can screw it to the top of the transom if needed ,
Just make sure that the clamp screws are below the top of the transom ,some engines makes have slightly deeper saddles than others which means that you can increase the hight of the block of wood shim.
Old 12 April 2014, 18:53   #3

Town: Oop North
I've got the 380 with a 15hp Mercury 2 stroke, I haven't had any problems with water coming over the Transom.
As m chappelow says, best to try it first before making alterations.
Old 12 April 2014, 18:58   #4

Okay yes il try it without first, engine is tohatsu 9.8 2stroke. so i can just raise it up on the clamps without the wood ? how would i ensure its level , could it wiggle loose as the saddle isnt hard on the transom ?
Old 12 April 2014, 19:02   #5

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Nella
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 130
I get water over the transom when on my own, but with wife and kids this weekend, no water at all!
Old 12 April 2014, 19:23   #6

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
I used a loose block of wood on my Aerotec 380/Yam 15hp to raise the engine enough to stop any splash back. This worked to great effect with no inconvenience. I wouldn't consider a back up engine as there is definitely no transom room, and also would make the 380 unstable.
Old 12 April 2014, 19:27   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
[QUOTE=monkey;612027]Okay yes il try it without first, engine is tohatsu 9.8 2stroke. so i can just raise it up on the clamps without the wood ?
No !!it will need some sort of strip of wood under for the engine saddle to rest on otherwise having a space between the engine & the transom the engine could twist itself off when turning or finish up bending the clamp screws .
Old 12 April 2014, 20:20   #8

Thanks for the advice , have a suitable wood block standing by if need be. My plan is not for the backup engine to be on the transom.It will be stowed in a padded bag on the deck at the front of the boat , it only weighs 13kg . surely this would not make the boat unstable?
Old 12 April 2014, 20:20   #9

[QUOTE=m chappelow;612030]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Okay yes il try it without first, engine is tohatsu 9.8 2stroke. so i can just raise it up on the clamps without the wood ?
No !!it will need some sort of strip of wood under for the engine saddle to rest on otherwise having a space between the engine & the transom the engine could twist itself off when turning or finish up bending the clamp screws .
Cheers , that makes sense
Old 12 April 2014, 20:46   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the advice , have a suitable wood block standing by if need be. My plan is not for the backup engine to be on the transom.It will be stowed in a padded bag on the deck at the front of the boat , it only weighs 13kg . surely this would not make the boat unstable?
I was referring to a back up engine being mounted on the transom making the boat unstable. Regardless of weight there wouldn't be enough room to mount it. Can I ask why you are considering a back up engine ?
Old 12 April 2014, 20:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekus View Post
I was referring to a back up engine being mounted on the transom making the boat unstable. Regardless of weight there wouldn't be enough room to mount it. Can I ask why you are considering a back up engine ?
No my original post states my intentions of stowing on the deck , i know there is no room on the transom.
Backup as i often go a few miles from where i launch and my car is ,to isolated tidal spots . So just feel a lot happier with it knowing i can get myself home to where i launched from if my main goes down and i dont have to bother the coastguard or try and make landfall somewhere to then be miles from my car etc. Makes alot of sense to me for the sake of a couple of hundered quid and and afew extra kilos
Old 12 April 2014, 21:17   #12

Quote:
No my original post states my intentions of stowing on the deck , i know there is no room on the transom.
Backup as i often go a few miles from where i launch and my car is ,to isolated tidal spots . So just feel a lot happier with it knowing i can get myself home to where i launched from if my main goes down and i dont have to bother the coastguard or try and make landfall somewhere to then be miles from my car etc. Makes alot of sense to me for the sake of a couple of hundered quid and and afew extra kilos
Firstly I respect your reasons for the back up engine, as we all know SAFETY comes first. But if your main engine should fail, my point is you are going to have to try to mount the back up engine on the water to a transom which will only accommodate one engine which is already in place (the main engine). It won't fit.
Old 12 April 2014, 21:22   #13

Quote:
Firstly I respect your reasons for the back up engine, as we all know SAFETY comes first. But if your main engine should fail, my point is you are going to have to try to mount the back up engine on the water to a transom which will only accommodate one engine which is already in place (the main engine). It won't fit.
That is of course correct . But being a mere 24kg my main engine will be taken off the transom and replaced with the backup should the need ever arise. two screws and i could have it off the transom relatively easily
Old 12 April 2014, 21:33   #14

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
The Tohatsu commonly needs raising 1" or so, particular to that engine. Check a search for this.
Old 12 April 2014, 21:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
The Tohatsu commonly needs raising 1" or so, particular to that engine. Check a search for this.
Thankyou , i do remember reading that some time ago . Hopefully be out to try it in next few weeks
Old 12 April 2014, 21:43   #16

Quote:
That is of course correct . But being a mere 24kg my main engine will be taken off the transom and replaced with the backup should the need ever arise. two screws and i could have it off the transom relatively easily
Lifting a 'mere' 24kg from the transom into the boat on moving water sounds like a worryingly unsafe manoeuvre, while the backup bounces around your feet. Good luck and be safe.
Old 12 April 2014, 22:00   #17

Quote:
Lifting a 'mere' 24kg from the transom into the boat on moving water sounds like a worryingly unsafe manoeuvre, while the backup bounces around your feet. Good luck and be safe.
Backup wont be bouncing round , it will be strapped down securely. It sounds extremely doable to me, and a lot safer than having no engine.
Old 12 April 2014, 22:10   #18

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Backup wont be bouncing round , it will be strapped down securely. It sounds extremely doable to me, and a lot safer than having no engine.

I have to lift the engine off my tender before putting it on the davits, its easy with a 10kg-2hp but difficult with a 20kg-5hp.

I tried it with a 28kg-8hp, it was near impossible and I nearly lost the lot over the transom, ended up popping the air floor because I had to drop it into the boat. This was all while secured to the back of a sportscruiser in a sheltered mooring, trying to do it on the open sea would be virtually impossible IMHO.

I appreciate your need to be self sufficient, but with a boat this size I would suggest its much better to look after your main engine, carry VHF, anchor and flares, let someone know where you are going and call the professionals if you get into trouble.
Old 12 April 2014, 22:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
I have to lift the engine off my tender before putting it on the davits, its easy with a 10kg-2hp but difficult with a 20kg-5hp.

I tried it with a 28kg-8hp, it was near impossible and I nearly lost the lot over the transom, ended up popping the air floor because I had to drop it into the boat. This was all while secured to the back of a sportscruiser in a sheltered mooring, trying to do it on the open sea would be virtually impossible IMHO.

I appreciate your need to be self sufficient, but with a boat this size I would suggest its much better to look after your main engine, carry VHF, anchor and flares, let someone know where you are going and call the professionals if you get into trouble.
Thats fair comment. Will let you know how i find it !
Old 12 April 2014, 23:56   #20

Town: Seattle, Washington, USA
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk IIC
Engine: Honda 20hp 4-stroke
Quote:
I agree with you whole-heartedly, monkey. It's nice to have a backup. I bring an electric trolling motor and deep-cycle battery as my backup. I have removed and replaced my 47kg 4-stroke from the transom while afloat. It's not easy, but it's doable. I'm sure that 24kg would be no problem. Make sure to have your engines tied/chained to the transom so you don't drop it off the back in the deep