Old 29 June 2009, 05:14   #1

Town: Great Lakes
Boat name: MK2C Futura 3.7
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Nissan 40hp Outboard
Need some help, purchase advice, etc.

Thinking about purchasing a Zodiac Futura Inflatable with a Nissan 40 HP 2 Cycle outboard.

This set up is pretty darn close to new, purchased in 2004, boat, motor, trailer are 2002
They were purchased by a woman, who used the set up maybe a handful of times, no damage, no patches, no signs of physical wear...

Details:
2002 Zodiac MK2 Futura S (hull tag states: MK 2 C FUT S / 210 LBS) it has the aluminum floorin, with (2) bench seats that are track mounted, with the console-sterring wheel. It is a soft bottom.
2002 Nissan 40 hp 2 cycl model NS4-D2, clean, no paint wear on original prop.
2002 Trailer is a galvonized basic trailer

They purchased this set up in 2004 for $11,500 I snow asking about $7,000, upon speaking further, I have the price down to $5,000 so far. I noticed one posted today in Canada for $4,100 US funds, pic shown below.

What is a fair price?________________

What is the Futura S, the "S" stand for?________________

Is this a 12 ft, 13 ft?__________________

My email: mund1@comcast.net

This is not the actual, but looks the same way, clean, etc. The trailer that comes with the one I am looking at has smaller wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac 1.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	43630  
Old 29 June 2009, 15:57   #2

Need advice... thought I might be in the right area!

WHAT IS A GOOD PRICE? $5,000 or Suggestions Please? ________________________

2002 MK2 Futura (MK2 C FUT S) 12' 2"

2002 Nissan 40HP 2-stroke (NS40D2)

2002 Trailer

All purchased new in 2004, very verly little hours used (15 at most), clean no patches, etc.

WHAT IS A GOOD PRICE? $5,000 or Suggestions Please? ________________________
Old 29 June 2009, 16:46   #3

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Try a completed listing search on Ebay for a "zodiac". It may give some prices of similar SIBS. The problem with valuations on rib.net is that the site is UK based and with the currency markets being volatile the prices are all over the place. Good luck.
Old 29 June 2009, 20:42   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Sounds like a good price to me and both the boat and engine are very good - I would buy it!!!
Old 30 June 2009, 07:09   #5

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
The Nissan (Tohatsu) is an excellent motor, and it is now getting very difficult to get carbureted 2 stroke motors that are still in good condition. The motor weighs slightly over 150 lbs. All of the new 40/50 hp outboards available today (4 strokes & DI strokes) weigh anywhere from 50-90 lbs more than this motor.

If the items are in very good condition, 5K for the boat/motor/trailer combo is a good deal.
Old 30 June 2009, 11:34   #6

Just so we are all on the same page... apples for apples

To the folks that have been so kind to reply.... I am not saying that you haven't already calculated this or know this but:

$5,000.00 US Dollars = 3,015.84 GBP

$5,000.00 US Dollars = 5,768.10 CAD

$5,000.00 US Dollars = 3,541.80 EUR

If the conversion has not been taken into consideration, is this still a good deal? ________

I feel I found a nice Futura MK2 C 12' 2", I would have liked a larger craft, or perhaps even a RIB. I am remaining hopefull that this will work out well for us, my son (8), and our dog (1 yr old Pug).

Thanks Folks.... I have put a small deposit down on it, haven't picked it up yet, so if there is any more feedback... please let me know.

Edmund
Old 30 June 2009, 12:35   #7

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I think you have done a very good thing in putting money down - even with the state of the economy I think that $5000 or £3000 is a good price , but more importantly its a very good boat that I is very hard to find fault with.

Have a search on hereif you haven't done so for them & articles , pictures etc ..
Old 30 June 2009, 14:10   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
To the folks that have been so kind to reply.... I am not saying that you haven't already calculated this or know this but:

$5,000.00 US Dollars = 3,015.84 GBP

$5,000.00 US Dollars = 5,768.10 CAD

$5,000.00 US Dollars = 3,541.80 EUR

If the conversion has not been taken into consideration, is this still a good deal? ________

I feel I found a nice Futura MK2 C 12' 2", I would have liked a larger craft, or perhaps even a RIB. I am remaining hopefull that this will work out well for us, my son (8), and our dog (1 yr old Pug).

Thanks Folks.... I have put a small deposit down on it, haven't picked it up yet, so if there is any more feedback... please let me know.

Edmund
Yes I did work it out.

That would be a pretty good price for such an outfit in the UK and our sibs/ribs are much cheaper than yours because there is more choice.

I have a big 9m RIB and a small 3.1m sib with a 15hp - often the smaller boat is more fun.

Think of it like this - a 747 may be faster and more comfortable but a Pitts Special aerobatic biplane will be a hell of a lot more fun!!!
Old 30 June 2009, 17:45   #9

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Like this one?
Old 30 June 2009, 17:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post

That is correct Tinker... the ebay one is a 2004 ($ 5,344.95 US or best offer) , the one I am purchasing is a 2002 ($5,000.00 US), with as they claim 10 hours of use, beneath the engine cover of the 40hp Nissan, it looks like it has never been run.

I tried talking the seller down in price, no such luck. She paid $11,000 for it, bought it new in 2004, new old stock 2002. She lived an hour or so from where she kept it at her brothers place, garaged.

Thanks for the info... Edmund
Old 02 July 2009, 13:35   #11

GOT IT! Here she is... my Futura MK2C

I want to Thank those of you who took valuable time out of your day or night to assist me with my questions and ultimate decision to make my purchase... here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5249.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	43727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5250.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	43728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5258.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	43731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5270.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	43732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5252.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	43733  

Old 02 July 2009, 14:04   #12

Now some questions..... Futura MK2 C

What is the optimal air pressure (PSI) to use to fill it up properly? _________

With my Futura MK2 C setup with the Nissan 40 hp short, the stock prop is a 11.4 x 12, what is a good stainless prop to go with and why... stainless will do what for me and is it worth the money, suggestions?________

I also notice that many of you have an additional plate (or rubber extension called???) affixed to the outdrive above the prop... advantages are? _________

Thank You...
Edmund
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5258.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	43735  
Old 02 July 2009, 14:15   #13

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Quote:
I also notice that many of you have an additional plate (or rubber extension called???) affixed to the outdrive above the prop... advantages are? _________

Thank You...
Edmund
A lot of people have hydrofoils (?) or Doel fins (trade name) fitted to the cavitation plate. These provide lift with heavy engines and help keep the bow of the boat down. They also help make the steering lighter.
Or so I am told.
Old 02 July 2009, 14:54   #14

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
What is the optimal air pressure (PSI) to use to fill it up properly? _________

With my Futura MK2 C setup with the Nissan 40 hp short, the stock prop is a 11.4 x 12, what is a good stainless prop to go with and why... stainless will do what for me and is it worth the money, suggestions?________

Thank You...
Edmund

I'm not sure with the PVC tubes, but with hypalon, the main sponsons should be at 3.4 PSI. PVC is often a bit higher since it does not stretch as much as hypalon does. The speed tubes may be a bit higher. Best to shoot Zodiac USA an email asking them this.

Unless you were running a competition inflatable such as a zapcat/thundercat, I would recommend a regular aluminum prop rather than a stainless steel prop. For the price of one stainless steel prop, you could have about 3 aluminum props (at least one spare prop is essential gear for you to have on board at all times). If you strike a rock with an aluminum prop, the prop might get trashed, but will most likely spare the drive shafts of the motor. I you do that with a stainless steel prop, there is a very high chance of damaging the drive shafts of the motor. Much cheaper and easier to replace a prop than outboard shafts. Also be sure to keep a prop wrench with you (alongside that spare prop).

With your 40hp, you will be better off without a hydrofoil. Generally a hydrofoil can be useful if the outboard has difficulty getting a boat on plane. This simply will not be the case with your setup. The downside of the hydrofoil is that it would reduce your top speed. Additionally it is awkwardly bulky