Old 25 October 2009, 21:56   #1

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Need recommendation for a good tender

I need to buy a new tender to replace my ageing Waveline 2.3m. I'd like to go for quality this time, as the pvc on my existing one is starting to degrade and lose its plasticiser and go sticky. A few of the joints are starting to peel apart as well, and so are my repairs where I accidentally punctured the damned thing with a nail .

I was contemplating an Avon or some such made from Hypalon. Are there any others out there worth a look at? I want an airdeck floor and ideally solid transom, but not too heavy to heave onto the roofrack!
Old 26 October 2009, 16:21   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
The pvc on my existing one is starting to degrade and lose its plasticiser and go sticky. A few of the joints are starting to peel apart as well, and so are my repairs where I accidentally punctured the damned thing with a nail.
Check Avon sibs, some manufacturers like Quicksilver don't make such small sib in Hypalon, this fabric starts on their 270 air floors sib models. Just for the record, how many years have you owned your actual pvc sib to become britle and sticky, was it all time on water/sun as a tender use.Go a bit larger 230 is bit small, a 300 would be ideal.

Happy Sibbing
Old 26 October 2009, 16:30   #3

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Lodestar

Give Roche Marine a try. I'm sure they do hypalon (for a price!).

Have been very impressed by my 'non hypalon' 260. It's a 'proper little boat'
Old 26 October 2009, 20:38   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Not an AVON , ( but now owned by the same Co ? ) but I've had a few Bombard SIBs . Only ever been impressed.

Pete
Old 26 October 2009, 20:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Just for the record, how many years have you owned your actual pvc sib to become britle and sticky, was it all time on water/sun as a tender use.Go a bit larger 230 is bit small, a 300 would be ideal.

Happy Sibbing
I think it's coming up 5 years now. It lives outside in the garden for the summer season when not in use, so is in sunlight most of the day (well it used to be in sunlight when we had summers). I did coat it with 3m protector the first couple of years, but lost enthusiasm after that.
Old 27 October 2009, 15:42   #6

Quote:
I think it's coming up 5 years now. It lives outside in the garden for the summer season when not in use, so is in sunlight most of the day (well it used to be in sunlight when we had summers). I did coat it with 3m protector the first couple of years, but lost enthusiasm after that.
That sib must be thin pvc to have lasted so little, have ordered some botles of 3M sun protector in USA, would you say it performs well as recommended by most inflatable boat dealers. How often do you need to re apply ?

Happy Sibbing
Old 27 October 2009, 15:48   #7
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
I'm well impressed with my brothers 3. something suzimar tender/SIB
Old 27 October 2009, 17:14   #8

Town: Blakeney
Boat name: Lindy
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
A good tender

You know, I had a Redcrest until recently.I sold it as it was surplus to requirements, but t was built in 1974, and was as good as the day it was made. Last summer on a mooring near mine in North Norfolk, there was a black Avon being used as a tender. I think they stopped making them in 1968.
Whatever model you get, if it's got Avon written on it, you won't go far wrong.
Old 27 October 2009, 18:18   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Would be worth investing in a boat cover (for your new boat), or even a cheap tarpaulin to at least protect it from the worst of the elements.
Old 27 October 2009, 20:18   #10

TBH I've no idea how effective the 3m protector is. Maybe I should coat one tube only on the replacement SIB and see how it fares over a couple of years.

I know my current tender was a bit of a cheapy, and I also know people in my neck of the woods who have suffered the sticky degradation of the PVC types.

I shall look into the Lodestar and Bombard models. The only thing that bothers me is they seem to come with inflatable keels, which I really don't need, and I fear are prone to damage when hauling up the slipway.
Old 27 October 2009, 22:04   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
We have a Quicksilver 2.3m. It's had some serious UV abuse over the years, but it always comes back after a scrub and a splash of protector. It has large diameter tubes which gives it good stability.
Old 29 October 2009, 23:31   #12

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 90hp
I'd mirror the avon comments. Have had I think 3 avon tenders (redstart, redcrest and redshank) of varying ages and all have been pretty much indestructable. You only have to look at the way the yachties treat them to see how solid they are - dragged up the beach, onto the boat, folded in half etc and a lot of these are exposed all year round. Have seen some well beaten up ones that still appear to hold air (bit like my old SR4!)

Restart (8 ft) had tubes which in my opinion were a bit small but is in your length range. Redcrest (10ft)was huge so redcrest (9ft) was about best compromise we came to. Also planed at approx 12knts with 4hp engine on it Am guessing you can get them with airdecks but we just made a marine ply floor - not so handy for storage but fitted in the boot ok as long as it went in 1st.
Old 30 October 2009, 00:07   #13
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
If you want one, my father is selling an Avon Redseal. Hardly used, not very old either. Not an air floor though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 22:28   #14

Thanks for the input and advice. I'm going to wait until the new year and see what's around at the boatshow (london) or maybe ribex. Have to decide whether to get another cheap one to last 4 years, or a decent one at twice the price to last maybe twice as long.
Old 01 November 2009, 00:20   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the input and advice. I'm going to wait until the new year and see what's around at the boatshow (london) or maybe ribex. Have to decide whether to get another cheap one to last 4 years, or a decent one at twice the price to last maybe twice as long.
If you buy a thicker pvc sib, and is well cared for, including a generous layer of 3M Aerospace protectant and use of a thick cover specially when leaving sib outdoor all year long, should last 10 years. Good quality Hypalon costs 2-2.5 times that of good pvc and should last 20 years. So decide on care and budget, if that's an awfull time demanding issue, go for hypalon, just prepare to pay lot more.

Happy Sibbing
Old 01 November 2009, 13:51   #16

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
We have a Quicksilver 2.3m. It's had some serious UV abuse over the years, but it always comes back after a scrub and a splash of protector. It has large diameter tubes which gives it good stability.
Do you carry it on board? I have been looking for something that might fit into the locker under the suicide seat however have not found anything that will fold up that small.

I currently have one the Navigator III's off ebay which fits in between one of the rear pods and the tube when it's in its holdall, not too bad and good V4M but not hypalon.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2009, 14:18   #17

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Have to decide whether to get another cheap one to last 4 years, or a decent one at twice the price to last maybe twice as long.
You will not need to necessarily make the jump to hypalon in order to see better quality than the Waveline. As mentioned the small Quicksilver airdecks are excellent RIB tenders as they pack up very tidily.
Old 01 November 2009, 15:51   #18

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Do you carry it on board? I have been looking for something that might fit into the locker under the suicide seat however have not found anything that will fold up that small.
Anything with hard transom won't pack down particularly small. It'll need to be stowed in the foredeck area. Waveline do a no transom, raft type dinghy which will pack smaller, but at 1.8m, it's not much better than a toy inflatable.
Old 01 November 2009, 17:08   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Erin just saw your post and if you are not sorted Ribeye have produced a new inflatable (released at Southampton Boat Show) which is are very light and very competative pricing

http://www.ribeye.co.uk/documents/Ri...lesJan2009.pdf

take a look at this link and (yes I was working with Ribeye as a helm at the show) but have not used these but what I saw of them they could fit your needs well
Old 01 November 2009, 17:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
You will not need to necessarily make the jump to hypalon in order to see better quality than the Waveline. As mentioned the small Quicksilver airdecks are excellent RIB tenders as they pack up very tidily.
Yep, Hypalon is looking stupidly expensive for a tender SIB. Will probably go for a good PVC and get a cover for it.